View track on inReach mini?

I am new for inReach mini, got it for my BD. Happy with it too much!

I understand main function is messaging and SOS, but still want to know how to use this amazing small piece of tech for maximum.

Can't find how to view on screen recorded track(s)? Is it possible to record a few track by device himself then select one of them for navigation?

• The Mini has no visualization capabilities. Not even "view the track shape without a map". IIRC, the ability to navigate is limited to so-called "track back" on the most recently recorded track(s).

• Thank you! So, actually navigation functionality is very very limited.

What is IIRC? How to decipher this abbreviation?

• Sorry. "If I recall correctly"

The Mini can navigate to a waypoint or along a pre-planned route. However, the navigation functionality does not include visualization of the route on a map. Instead, the Mini directs you by displaying a graphic which shows you the direction you should travel to reach the waypoint or the next point on the route.

• I think the IR Mini is sort of intended to be a "companion device", in so far as it's not really meant to be a navigation GPS unit by itself. The larger IR models have a lot more navigation functionality, for people who only want to carry one device with them. The IR Mini is more designed to work in tandem with another GPS unit or your phone for navigation. It has some very basic navigation functionality, but it's sort of meant to just be for emergency use, or in a pinch if your other GPS device(s) fail and you need something to help point you in the direction of your car. It's super tiny and light (and limited on functions) because it assumes the user already has another primary GPS device and doesn't want/need the redundancy.

I honestly don't even know what kinds of limited navigation functions it has because I've never bothered to figure it out, I've always used another device (primarily my Fenix 6X) for navigation. But I think it at least has the "track back" function as  mentioned, where it will tell you which way to go and how far it is to get back to the starting point of your current track, but not much beyond that.

That's why I picked the Mini - I already have my Fenix 6x watch and my smartphone with me on every trip, so it would be unnecessary for me to carry yet another navigational/mapping GPS unit with me.

• IIRC == if I recall correctly - wow thank you!!! I learned something new ;)

I tried to sync simple route with mini, and also tried to follow it...can't say it was clear, as arrow shows me some (look like random) directions, but I have no indication waypoint is passed, and honestly I am not sure it was helpful at all. 

• actually I have the same opinion despite my very limited experience with mini, I an also f6XProSolar owner, so primary navigation in the wild fields for fenix, but you know, when you have a new toy it is interesting to know what is inside (not literally in this case). 

• I get it, the IR Mini is a very cool toy for sure. Have you paired it with your Fenix yet? The IR widget and in-activity datascreen in the Fenix is really neat, if you haven't tried it yet. Can use most of the IR functions straight from your watch, including start/stop tracking, sending and receiving messages, and triggering an SOS. I even learned recently that you can have multiple watches paired with the same IR, and any of those watches within range (~30ft) of the IR can send/receive messages with it. Love my IR Mini so far!

• yes, I have paired it with my fenix, and even tried to send Preset messages during my long run. It was easy and look like a magic, but I need to remember to hit couple of buttons each 5 - 10 km. 

Still have no clear idea how to configure Tracking (which can be simple initiated from the watch) to automatically send message or/and email to some recipients on the beginning or for each track point?

• The direction indicator on the Mini tends to jump around a bit. This is at least partially due to the fact that it's computing your current location infrequently (yes, even when navigating). The other thing is that it's always trying to point you toward the "next route point ahead of you". As you near that next point, the position uncertainty causes it to flip back and forth between that point (when it thinks it's still ahead of you) and the NEXT point on the route (when it thinks you've passed the point you were heading for). 

If you are navigating to a waypoint directly, you should get an "arriving" warning maybe 50 feet before the waypoint. If you are navigating a route, you will get the arrival warning just before reaching the end of the route.

• big thank you for explanation, will try to reproduce and understand it later. It seems I created very short and full of points route for my previous experiment, also I did this unsuccessful experiment with a running, should try next one with slow walking.