inReach emails not going to recepient but coming to me?!

Hey folks

Have a pretty strange issue with the inReach Mini emails.

When I send a quick text to a predefined contact via email, the email arrives at my email address and appears to be addressed to me on the Explore site. The recepient never receives the email.

I've tried deleting the offending contact and recreating it as well as factory resetting the device. Nothing helped. Still the same issue 

Have contacted but not heard back. 

Has anyone experienced this?

TIA

DK

• Did you sync the device after making changes to the contact and after the device reset? If not, you need to do so. You can do this with the mobile Earthmate app or via a wired sync with a desktop PC.

You can also send the email to the recipient by typing the address into the Mini directly. Yes, I know it's painful. But this will verify that the email address is correct and that the issue is not with the recipient's email provider.

I am a little confused by your statement that the message appears to be addressed to you. Does this mean that your own contact was included in the recipient list and the second recipient did not receive the message, or that the only recipient was replaced by your contact, or what?

Contacts are notoriously touchy. When you use a contact, the device does not actually send the full address with the message. Instead, it sends a "contact number" which the server matches to your list of contacts. The device and the server must agree on the entire list of contacts for this to work correctly.

If a factory reset followed by a sync does not fix the problem, a call to tech support is in order.

• Messages/emails I sent with my inReach Mini a few months back only arrived at the recipients inboxes some three months AFTER I sent them. I talked to Garmin tech support, and they could see the send and receive dates, and could not provide any answers.

I have zero faith in the devices and service.

• For those facing the same issue, Garmin Support actually helped me fix it. For those who are looking at this thread in the future, this is what helped:

Firmware update mode

1. Disconnect the inReach from the computer, and power off the inReach
    2. Press and hold    , and Power simultaneously
    3. The device will power on into Firmware Update Mode, with the display showing:

4. Connect the inReach to the computer
    5. Open inReach Sync and test to confirm that the issue has been resolved.
      Note: When inReach Sync recognizes your device the app will display a message that the firmware on the device is corrupt. Click Yes to proceed with the firmware update and Sync.

Basically it looked like the inReach needed a "hard sync" via inReach Sync for Windows rather than syncing via Garmin Express or Earthmate (which is what I was doing).

After following the above steps, emails started arriving to the correct recipients for the first time (!!) and SMS messages continued to work as before.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks for posting. I would not have thought it would be necessary to force the device into f/w update mode to do a wired sync. But it probably can't hurt, either.