Using the InReach connection to your watch during an activity

Hello and welcome.

With the recent updates that added Garmin Messenger to outdoor watches, is Garmin going to expand this more towards InReach-watch autonomy and communication? Currently, Garmin Messenger is a hub that is connected via Bluetooth to both the watch and InReach. In the case of hiking and climbing, it doesn't matter.

But if we are dealing with other sports, you need to take your phone and InReach with you every time. Then the benefits lose their importance, because if we're talking about Trail Run or running in general, you have to carry all these devices with you. Of course, you can send a message from InReach itself, but the most convenient form of communication when you want to reduce the number of things that will disturb you while running is to attach InReach to your arm or put it in a running shirt on your back and communicate from the watch position.

Therefore, I ask the administration to address this aspect. Garmin still does not have devices that are autonomous enough to not take the entire range of electronics with them. Are there any plans to further improve and expand the functionality of Garmin Messenger on watches?

• Not sure if you're already aware, but many Garmin devices already support inReach Remote, where you control your inReach device from another compatible Garmin device like a watch, bike computer or outdoor handheld. See for example Using the inReach Remote Widget on Garmin Watches

inReach Remote allows you to send messages (both custom and check-in/preset), view message replies, start/stop tracking and trigger an SOS. So you can leave your inReach device in a pocket and control it from your watch, for example.

• Thank you very much for your answer. That's what I meant.

The next question that arises is whether the update that introduced Garmin Messenger support will replace InReach remote, be combined with it, or will it still work separately?

• I think that are 2 different things:

inreach remote widget is only for the iR device; Messenger widget is only for the Messenger app on phone.

Would have been better, if they had only one widget for both.  Perhaps they will change their mind an integrate both in one widget in the future.

• I agree with it. This would be a great development for Garmin, device integration, but also much better security. Too many applications may, at key moments when a person is stressed, mean that help does not arrive, arrives too late, or that the injured person will not be able to use help due to nerves.