How long does it take for a service upgrade to be applied after upgrading subscription?

How long does it take for a service upgrade to be applied after upgrading a subscription? I am wanting to use the basic safety plan for a short period, while I learn how to use the device's messaging and live tracking features, before upgrading to the Expedition plan for my trip. I am concerned that the service upgrade might only be applied at the end of the billing period - which would be well after my trip has started. Advice?

• According to this support article, the upgrade takes place immediately. Your plan's monthly "anniversary" date is adjusted to coincide with the upgrade. 

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=uGgi1nGyqH2yAp7JZ53x49&searchType=noProduct#5

That said, since you're depending on this for safety purposes, it might not be a bad idea to call customer support to confirm. Also, don't wait until the very last minute to upgrade. There have been several recent, brief outages for Service Activation and Billing. And I believe you need a sync after you make the change.

Finally, note that the rules are different for a downgrade in plans. For that, you do have to wait until the end of the current monthly billing cycle.