How do I *not* include map location information in emails?

There are settings on the "Account" tab of explore.garmin.com the let me turn off the inclusion of lat/lon and map links in my SMS messages. How can I do the same thing when I send an email?
I spent a good bit of time chatting with support yesterday with no success. (Reference number 64378 for anyone from Garmin support who's looking.) I tried to chat again today to update them with the additional things they suggested and I tried (resetting and then resync with a cable instead of Earthmate), but the chat is unavailable.

Right now, I have MapShare completely turned off and disabled, but my emails still contain links to a map and the location data.

Thanks
  • AFAIK, this is not possible.

MapShare and the links in email messages are not the same thing. MapShare has nothing to do with the email (except for "sharing" messages that you can send when tracking).

What did support suggest? I am mystified as to why they though resetting would have any effect?
  • One thing does occur to me, but it requires the use of the Earthmate app. There is a setting in the app under Options > Messages which is called "Include Location". It is apparently on by default. I've never tried it, but IF you turn it OFF and IF you send the message through the Earthmate app, perhaps you will get the result you want.

I have never seen a similar setting on any inReach device (the device itself). That doesn't mean it doesn't exist - just that I've never seen it. I've never actively looked for it, either.

Please post again if you try the app. We'd all like to know the result.
  • MapShare and the links in email messages are not the same thing. MapShare has nothing to do with the email (except for "sharing" messages that you can send when tracking).

I get that, but I'm at the mercy of trying the things the support staff suggests, no matter of ridiculous it seems. :)

What did support suggest? I am mystified as to why they though resetting would have any effect?

I wasn't hopeful that a reset would do anything, and it didn't. They also suggest I disable Mapshare (I did), and uncheck the box that says to include a MapShare link in my preset message (It already was, so I enabled it, sync'd, disabled it, and sync'd again).

It seems odd (poor choice?) to me that Garmin would offer this option on SMS messages but not emails. But so far the entire user experience has been so poor that I'm not particularly surprised. I'm actually concerned that I'm going to trust this device to be my life saver based on messages not going through and the overall usability of the entire ecosystem. It feels like a patchwork of different systems that were designed by people that didn't communicate through the process. This isn't my first rodeo with Garmin devices, and it appears that while their hardware is still very functional, the rest of the experience (software, online interaction, firmware stabliity, etc.) is still lacking. [Sorry for the gripe fest. It's just frustrating when the hardware feels so capable, but the whole rest of the operation is a gong show.]

One thing does occur to me, but it requires the use of the Earthmate app. There is a setting in the app under Options > Messages which is called "Include Location". It is apparently on by default

That option is switched off for me. I'll try sending myself an email from the app and see what happens.
  • One thing does occur to me, but it requires the use of the Earthmate app. There is a setting in the app under Options > Messages which is called "Include Location". It is apparently on by default

I tried this. The email includes a link: "View the location or send a reply to ..." but it does not include lat/lon. When you click on the link it takes you to a map, but it doesn't have me located on the map. It does, however, let the user send a reply message.
    The reply-ability is the thing I'm mainly trying to remove from preset messages. I want to be able to send a message to a group of people without giving them the option of replying. I also want to be able to send a message to another group of people who I'd like to have the option of replying.

• mrl8550 Since sending and receiving messages is one of the key features of the inReach products, there is no option to send out messages without people being able to reply to you in the method you are desiring.

Here are some workarounds that might work for you.

Have someone that is willing to get your messages and forward them to the no reply mailing list. I personally do this in my family. My brother is nice enough to be the key contact for my family and updates people on my status when I want to go off the grid for a while. This allows me to let everyone know that I am safe but also allows me not to worry about checking my messages on my device. Not everyone's family is like mine, but since my family has a hard time understanding message limitation and my desire to get off the grid and enjoy nature. It was best to have my brother forward the information and handle any questions that come my way. I have also seen this with bloggers and other users too.

Another option is to setup MapShare to display messages but block anyone from replying. Since you do not want to share your location, then I would suggest setting up your filter to allow no information to be displayed. The downside to this is that people would have to keep watching the MapShare link you provided them and they will not be getting emails directly too.

I hope the suggestions help you with your goal. If they don't, you are welcome to share your goal and maybe we can think of another workaround for you too.