Track points missing from Earthmate app

Took my InReach Mini out for the first time and turned on tracking. I had the Earthmate App on my phone as well and after a while I turned the phone on, opened the app and looked at the map to see if it was working. I could see the first 5 or so tracking points as yellow dots, and I could see the blue log line. Excellent.

Satisfied that it was working, I pocketed the phone for the next few hours and left the InReach tracking on my journey. At the end of the journey, I stopped tracking on the InReach.

I later opened the Earthmate app to view my log. I could clearly see the full log track of my journey, so logging was working ok. But there were strangely no more tracking points on the log since the last time I looked. At first I thought that the tracking was not working at all, but once I got home and opened up a web browser I was able to clearly see ALL the tracking points from my trip had been sent to the Iridium network correctly.

So why did they stop showing up on my Earthmate app? It wasn't a connection issue between phone and InReach, because the log track worked perfectly.

I have attached two screenshots. You can see the Earthmate log with only a few track points, and then the one viewed in the web portal showing the full set. Why the disparity between the two?

ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1373489.jpg ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1373490.jpg
  • iOS or Android? Also, I'm unclear on just what you did with the app because you use the term "...later opened the Earthmate app...". Does this mean that you actually forced the app to exit at some point? Or simply that you brought it to the foreground from the background where it was running all along?

I'm just guessing here. I would guess that the app "caught up" on the logged points when you brought it to the foreground or reopened it or whatever. But that it does not treat the sent points the same way. But it's just a guess.

Have not personally observed this behavior. Will have to experiment a bit to see if I can reproduce.

Out of curiosity, do all the sent points show up in the history list for the date (More > History)? Or are they missing from there as well as from the map?
  • I started a new track from the Earthmate app on my iOS device and then put the phone to sleep. Completed my short hike and opened the device to end the track. All the track points were displayed on both the EM app and on the inreach map on the website.

My guress is if the track points were accurately updated on your inreach map on the website, the app just didnt quite sync with the Garmin Mini yet. It's possible you lost bluetooth connection between the inreach mini and the iDevice. Curious to find out why your EM app dropped the remaining track points
  • I was just noticing a similar issue on mine last night. I biked about 18 miles, with my Mini strapped to my bike. I was connected to my Fenix 5x+ only, and initiated tracking from the watch. When I got home, I wanted to see what was on the website. I opened my Earthmate app. At first, the data did not display on the map. I forced a sync from the app and it showed up.

Now what was not shown was in Earthmate - More - History, there was NO track entry for July 24. The most recent one displayed was a previous trip on July 19. There was also no Earthmate - Tracking - Last information shown.

So this left me wondering how much the app and device sync if it wasn't connected when the tracking was enabled. It seems it did sync my 2 minute track points form the device (indicated by the large and small dot locations) to the site during the forced sync. So I can at least see that detail.

If anyone knows more about the Earthmate and device, it would be appreciated.

I will add that I opened a ticket with support about a week or so ago, in reference to track numbers(like points sent, and such) not being indicated on the website. Support told me that a few others had also indicated this issue with the Mini, and a bug report was opened. I have not heard anymore about it. Maybe there is just some common issue here.
  • I've seen all kinds of weird issues with these. Right now, I have a track from the weekend that shows track points only at some portion, log points only at another, and both and yet another. It shows ok on the website (except I don't see track points), but not in Earthmate - if I look at the history, track points seem to end about half way through the hike. See bellow. I actually did follow the red route.

I also had issues with stats/current period on the home page - not sure it's what you mean. I called them and got a ticket opened. Eventually, it was resolved for my account and now it updates properly, but before, it would not update at all - no track points, no messages sent, nothing.
  • I also had issues with stats/current period on the home page - not sure it's what you mean. I called them and got a ticket opened. Eventually, it was resolved for my account and now it updates properly, but before, it would not update at all - no track points, no messages sent, nothing.

Yep, that's what I was talking about. They have since fixed that issue I think, because my stats are now updating.

• I have seen something similar with my inReach Explorer+. I see both my track points and log points in the app and on the device but in the web page all I get is my track points no log points even after I sync several times both in the phone app and using a sync cable and computer. My phone is android my computer MS Windows 10.
  • This may have something to do with the active collection. There's a lot of confusion since Garmin implemented the more granular collections for tracks, waypoints, routes, etc. You might have a look at this post, which explains the steps necessary to get things to show up where you want them.
  • This might work.
    1. Connect Mini to computer with USB cable.
    2. Note the free and total storage, mine is 5.83 MB free and 5.98 MB total.
    3. Log points at 30 sec interval for 50 min, should get 100 points.
    4. Check free MB and ...................

Well, might not work, but that is what I would try.
  • Hi - was there any resolution to this? I bought an Inreach Mini last week and am experiencing exactly the same issue

• Although no specific resolution was posted here, I'm not aware of any ongoing issues. If the problem persists, call tech support.