Basecamp for Mac not detecting GPSMap67i inReach devices

Garmin Leslie you are closing all the threads down with GPSmap67 questions as not inReach as far as I can see the issues are exactly the same for the GPSMap67i inreach models with exactly the same issues.
The GPSMap67i inReach model in system settings - usb mode has exactly the same options as the GPSMap67 i.e either MTP or Garmin, I have also tried a GPSMap67i at work and cannot get Basecamp software on a Mac to recognise the device, MTP usb setting on a Mac does not work with Basecamp software on a Mac, will you be adding Garmin Serial to the usb settings on the GPSMap67i that does work with the GPSMap66i and Basecamp for Mac ?

• I have severe issues. So much so that I am going to return the 67i. It’s unusable. The computer is MacBook Pro 2 with 16gb ram and it will just not work. I have tried all the work arounds and can see the device in basecamp but the maps will just not load up

• I have tried this extensively. I have managed to get the device showing on basecamp but the maps will just not load. I tried for about 24hours over the course of 8-10 days.  tonight I spent 2.5 hrs waiting for maps to try and load and it was impossible. The maps will not show up on basecamp. All my software is up to date on all devices. I have tried on two MacBooks. The device is unusable for me

• Hello, have you gone through the steps in the link listed above?

• Hi

yes many times. I have got the computer to recognise maps but just does not open. Spent two hours yesterday and couldn’t even get a map area to open after an hour

• Hi, I have the same issue.

The solution proposed by Garmin (Android file transfer) works partially: I can access the data through Android file transfer on the device (67i) but not on the attached SD card.

The Basecamp works, but it is extremely slow with reading the maps f SD - after 3h, it is still reading the map. 

This makes 67i no usable on Mac (2020 M1) at this moment.

I would like to know whether Garmin is working on the solution and if it will be solved in a software update (and when).

So far I have purchased d a external maps which I cannot use for planning the trip :(

Hope that solution will come quickly.

Best,

Adam

• You should be able to access the SD card in Android File Transfer by selecting Internal at the top of the window. The view will then switch to show the contents of the SD card.

And indeed it is a pain to have Basecamp show maps on the device because it process is so slow. If possible I prefer maps that I install on my computer, but this is not always available.

• Hi Garmin-Leslie, to be honest the advice in the article you link to doesn't make a lot of sense. It tells you to install Android File Transfer, and then to fully quit the application. What is then the use of having Android File Transfer installed? It does not installl any extensions that enable MTP support on MacOS whatsoever.

For me (and Nikolechat in this thread) what is needed to get the unit recognized in Basecamp is to fully quit Garmin Express. Since only one application can use the MTP connection, Basecamp won't see the unit if Garmin Express is running and the unit is connected.

The advice to use Android File Transfer will only confuse users IMHO.

One reason to use Android File Transfer is if you manually want to access the files on the GPSMAP 67 series unit. But the article does not explain that...

And even when Basecamp recognizes the GPSMAP 67 series, it still has problems loading the maps on it. For example on with unit Basecamp only shows the DEM EU Map, but the TopoActive maps are shown as "Valid Chart Product Not Found".

Just trying to help here and make things more easy for Garmin customers, BTW.

• IMHO the support article is misleading. In my experience the only thing needed to get Basecamp recognize the device on MacOS is to fully quit Garmin Express.

Since the GPSMAP 67 series will not show up as a Volume or Drive in Finder, you must use a utility like Android File Transfer to directly access files on the unit. But again it is not required to have Basecamp recognize the unit.

And I can understand your frustration but let's keep it friendly and constructive around here.

• Pretty sure this is yet another MAC problem,  and not a Garmin problem, as BaseCamp works just fine with my GPSMAP 67 on all my Windows PC's.