Basecamp Advice

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basecamp Advice

Hey guys,

Brand new Garmin user. Never owned a watch before. A bit overwhelmed with all the info.

I purchased my watch mostly for hiking and camping, but I'm having issues using coordinates to plot a trek. I'm using BaseCamp, but it has no detail, it won't find any address (including my home in Ontario) I put through it.

Any ideas? Information or advice? Am I using the right software? Is there something better? Any information would be great! Thanks!

BaseCamp only comes with a very basic map. You need to install a better map into BaseCamp. Do you have a detailed map on your watch? If so BaseCamp should read the map from it.
    Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
    Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
    (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Hey SUSSAMB !

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me!

How would I install a better map for BaseCamp? I think I saw something about installing Google Earth? I'm not sure what kind of map I have on my watch. When I plugged it in, I didn't notice any change on BaseCamp. My watch synced with Express and I was able to jump from BaseCamp to Express pretty seamlessly. Am I doing something wrong?

The Connect web application would have been great, but it doesn't do Saved Locations. It uses Google Map, great! But when I do a search, with coordinates let's say, no pin is dropped. I don't actually know exactly where those coordinates are. I'm also forced into using routes. I can't just save a location. It's kind of sucks that I have to use 3 pieces of software (so far) for this watch.

Thanks again!
      Last edited by SUSSAMB; 03-13-2018, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Do a google search for OSM mapping, some can be installed to your watch, some can also be installed to BaseCamp.
        Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
        (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Originally posted by SUSSAMB View Post
          Do a google search for OSM mapping, some can be installed to your watch, some can also be installed to BaseCamp.
          Hey SUSSAMB

Got your reply from the other post. Followed your instructions and downloaded maps for Ontario and Quebec and they look amazing in BaseCamp! How would I do this for my Fenix 5x?

Also, while I got your help, how can I access my Cloud Data on my Fenix 5x? I have a couple of saved locations and tracks in BaseCamp that have been saved to my Cloud, but I can't access them on my device. Is there any way this can be done wirelessly, or even plugged?

Also, BaseCamp has the option to link to Google Earth, but I can't get it to work. I keep getting "required to be installed and running. Launch and try again" errors. I have the application installed and running. I was hoping to be able to use both Google products and BaseCamp with my device.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

For Google Earth see here https://forums.garmin.com/forum/mac-...h-and-basecamp

Can't really help with the cloud issue as I don't use it, but I believe it's only accessible using BaseCamp.

Comment

Once you have them in base camp just have to select maps->install maps from menu. If you have your 5x plugged in it'll transfer them!

Comment

AWESOME! Downloading map right now! Totally loving this device! I appreciate the info!

Do you use yours for hiking? How do you create routes or waypoints and send this to your device? What's the best way? I like the Connect web interface, but very limited, BaseCamp has it's limitations too. The two should combine. Haha!
                Last edited by SUSSAMB; 03-13-2018, 03:27 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the post directly above yours. It's unnecessary and simply clutters up the thread. Thanks

Comment

For Google Earth see here https://forums.garmin.com/forum/mac-...h-and-basecamp

Can't really help with the cloud issue as I don't use it, but I believe it's only accessible using BaseCamp.
                  How do you transfer routes and waypoints from PC to device? I'm finding the process quite tedious. Figured it would be much easier.

Also, just realized my CMD prompt isn't working on Windows!! Launch, appears for a split second and disappears. Ugh. Now I got to figure this out before I can test Google Earth. EDIT: Using PowerShell for now. I'm not having luck with the Command line. I wasn't sure if it included the quote or not. It wasn't clear for me.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth Pro\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer

This line? No combination gets me any results, expect for this:

At line:1 char:74
                  + ... Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth Pro\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServe ...
                  + ~
                  You must provide a value expression following the '/' operator.
                  At line:1 char:74
                  + ... iles (x86)\Google\Google Earth Pro\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer
                  + ~~~~~~~~~
                  Unexpected token 'RegServer' in expression or statement.
                  + CategoryInfo : ParserError: ( [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
                  + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ExpectedValueExpression
                  Last edited by AgentDBCooper; 03-13-2018, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Yes, you need to include the quotes.

Comment

Originally posted by AgentDBCooper View Post
                      How do you transfer routes and waypoints from PC to device? I'm finding the process quite tedious. Figured it would be much easier.
                      Should be able to right click them in BaseCamp and select Send to ...

Comment

Yes, you need to include the quotes.
                        I think I need CMD for this to work. Powershell isn't cutting it.

Comment

Should be able to right click them in BaseCamp and select Send to ...
                          This would require my 5x to be plugged into the PC, correct?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Yes.
                              Thanks again for your help!

Followed your instructions and got a few maps in there. I got 4 maps, two of Ontario and two of Quebec. One set are the "Generic Routable (new style)" the other two are just generic routeable. But I can only see 3 of them, missing a 4th map. Also, the "Generic Routable (new style)" maps won't load. I'll select them and deselect everything else, but nothing loads. I'm trying to reinstall now. Any ideas?

EDIT: I just removed the IMG files from my Garmin and reinstalled all 4 maps. I can still only see 3. Do I have a limit on how many maps will list? Only one of the Generic Routable (new style) is appear and selecting it shows nothing. Only the generic non-new style ones work.
                              Last edited by AgentDBCooper; 03-16-2018, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X