Resting heart rate issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resting heart rate issues

Anyone else having issues with the accuracy of the heart rate graph since upgrading from 4.21? I know this has always been a little patchy but was always ball park.

I went to bed with my average resting heart rate for Friday at 43bpm but by the morning this had changed to 60bpm (Friday). A look at the heart rate graph didn't show any spikes or high readings during my sleep...

When I look at my lowest average RHR today, the reading on Connect for Friday showed 56bpm, even though during that day it was showing as much lower?

Update your watch to the latest firmware version, 5.10 and check if it has the same issue.

Comment

Resting heart rate is strange if you wear the watch to bed. It ignores the daytime resting rate and only uses a rate it determines while you are sleeping. My daytime resting rate is usually lower than my sleeping resting rate, so it is a little odd how they calculate this

Comment

Agreed. Garmin is doing this wrong- RHR is defined as waking, and Garmin's own stated methodology prefers sleeping RHR, against commonly accepted practice.

For those of us with lower RHR during the day than at night, this causes problems, especially if we use Heart Rate Reserve.

If this bugs you too, please write to the beta team @ fenix5.beta@garmin.com to request they change this behavior.

Comment

I am using 5.10... it would be great if Garmin used the commonly accepted methodology

Comment

I prefer the current system (though I'd be happy if they made it configurable) as with the sensor's accuracy it might pick up a dodgy figure at some point in the day (I've seen some when I had it in my pocket), but the whole night average will probably be resistant to little issues.
            Although my whole night figure is slightly higher than a genuine resting minimum, it seems to behave the same way (rises a bit when I've been training hard, ill etc) so I find it pretty useful.

Comment

I'm always quite a bit lower (5-10 beats) in periods while sleeping, so the current implementation is near spot on for me. I agree though, it would be nice with the option to configure this.

Comment

Originally posted by BenBristol View Post
                Anyone else having issues with the accuracy of the heart rate graph since upgrading from 4.21? I know this has always been a little patchy but was always ball park.

I went to bed with my average resting heart rate for Friday at 43bpm but by the morning this had changed to 60bpm (Friday). A look at the heart rate graph didn't show any spikes or high readings during my sleep...

When I look at my lowest average RHR today, the reading on Connect for Friday showed 56bpm, even though during that day it was showing as much lower?
                Personally, I find Garmin's RHR algorithm bizarre, and don't trust it or its impact on HR zones (depending which zone calculation method you use). Instead, I personally measure my RHR on a rest day, and directly enter it in the user profile.

Comment

Originally posted by loaruns View Post
                  Agreed. Garmin is doing this wrong- RHR is defined as waking, and Garmin's own stated methodology prefers sleeping RHR, against commonly accepted practice.

For those of us with lower RHR during the day than at night, this causes problems, especially if we use Heart Rate Reserve.

If this bugs you too, please write to the beta team @ fenix5.beta@garmin.com to request they change this behavior.
                  I have requested this before, but haven't gotten a response back to it yet. Not that that means they are or are not considering it.

What I've resorted to doing is turning off OHR at night (I set an alarm to remind me) and I turn OHR back on in the morning. This lets me get my true RHR values during the day (which are always 5-10bpm lower than at night), while still being able to wear the watch and use vibration alarms.

Comment

Working...
                  X