No announcement yet.

Downgrade firmware Fenix 5X Plus

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downgrade firmware Fenix 5X Plus

Can someone please give the detailed procedure and required files for downgrading from v6.0 back to v5.1.
    Thanks.

connect Fenix to the computer via USB to be able to see it as a device (filesystem)

Download the .zip file from here:
    https://www8.garmin.com/support/down...s.jsp?id=14335

extract the zip file and then copy from System_Backdate_v510 the GUPDATE.GCD file to the /Garmin directory on the Fenix

Watch will do a firmware downgrade and a hard reset and reboot automatically as you disconnect from the computer

I haven’t done any backup, but it is recommended to make a copy of the /Garmin to your computer, especially if you need any personal data or just to be sure J

Comment

With this, can auto-update be disabled? I disabled from GE, but my watch still upgraded to 6.

Comment

well, on the watch auto update disabled, since 1 days it hasn't upgraded itself

Comment

hi TjStrocker,
          in Garmin Connect it is only the Auto Update Apps ....
          so tatrail is right, the Software Update is in watch menu, Settings > System > Software Update > Auto Update = off

...I learned myself in the hard way....

just me,
          robert

Comment

Originally posted by tatrail View Post
            connect Fenix to the computer via USB to be able to see it as a device (filesystem)

Download the .zip file from here:
            https://www8.garmin.com/support/down...s.jsp?id=14335

extract the zip file and then copy from System_Backdate_v510 the GUPDATE.GCD file to the /Garmin directory on the Fenix

Watch will do a firmware downgrade and a hard reset and reboot automatically as you disconnect from the computer

I haven’t done any backup, but it is recommended to make a copy of the /Garmin to your computer, especially if you need any personal data or just to be sure J
            Thank you very much for the info.

Comment

also usable as a precaution...

in the garmindevice.xml file on your watch, up all the firmware version numbers minor and major by whatever value to be future proof
              then make the garmindevice.xml read only on your device

not tested yet on the plus version, but 99% chance it could work also on the plus

Comment

Warning: Downgrading will kill Spotify. Luckily was able to get 6.0 back to up and running, No other option but to wait for an update from Garmin (Issues with ant + power meter). .

Comment

Originally posted by thsp1985 View Post
                  Warning: Downgrading will kill Spotify. Luckily was able to get 6.0 back to up and running, No other option but to wait for an update from Garmin (Issues with ant + power meter). .
                  I would suggest you reinstall Spotify. I had a similar issue once, and just a REINSTALL from the store resolved it. I didn't even UNINSTALL beforehand.

Comment

No warning required, downgrading does not kill Spotify permanently. As above has mentioned, just reinstall Spotify, it works fine after downgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by DominicM View Post
                      No warning required, downgrading does not kill Spotify permanently. As above has mentioned, just reinstall Spotify, it works fine after downgrade.
                      Ok maybe I was just too busy getting Spotify running and skipped some rebooting or something. Anyway reinstalling was not possible so me.

Comment

Working...
                      X