No announcement yet.

Fenix 5x Plus Trip Report to Chicago Basin

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fenix 5x Plus Trip Report to Chicago Basin

I don't have the patience to write this one up in the editor here on the forums, so i did it in Google Docs and just published it to the web. I warn you, this is a long read with a lot of photos, but it might give some of you an idea of how I used the 5x Plus on my recent backpacking trip.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...7pL2iBqCO0/pub

Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed reading your report.

Comment

Thanks a lot, I really enjoyed reading it.

Comment

Wow, fantastic report. This is something I'll go trough more than once!

Thanks a lot for sharing :-)

Comment

Woohoo ! Excellent report and I've enjoyed your sens of humour! Great read and test !! :-)

Comment

GC makes it pretty easy to get that into the watch! Cool! Thanks for the writeup and tips!! How do you get the watch face screenshots?

Comment

• Volker_I.
              Volker_I. commented
              Editing a comment
              You can enable the screenshot functionality via hotkeys. They're saved on the device in the GARMIN/SCRNSHOT subfolder.

• nmyeti
              nmyeti commented
              Editing a comment
              As mentioned, I have a hotkey assigned to screenshots. This way anytime I see something on the watch I want to save, I just hold down the hotkey and the files end up in the folder mentioned. Sadly Garmin's forums doesn't like these in the bitmap form they are in on the watch, so i just use snipping tool to save them to jpg

Thanks. Very interesting report about a real outdoor trip/adventure and not the usual sniveling, that the elevation is 5 meters off and the distance 25 meters to short...
            In use: fenix 5x, oregon 550t

Comment

• nmyeti
              nmyeti commented
              Editing a comment
              Hard to complain about a few meters when your tying to climb that high in such a highly variable weather environment. Set a hotkey for altimeter calibration and calibrate at known points (like the summit of North Eolus where I did it). With how fast the weather can change in the mountains, I needed that calibration to help keep the barometer graph useful.

Also an interesting thing came up on the trip. One of the two members that was slower to camp made a statement that his watch counted over 18 miles on the way in. This was the Fenix 5 user, and I know the GPS isn't that off on that device. In discussion it came up that he never stopped or paused the watch when he was stopped. Looking at his track terrible things happened while we were sitting around at lunch and when he stopped to rest many, many times on the way up to the basin. The GPS drift accounted for a lot of extra mileage. On the rest of the trip he paused when he stopped to rest and his GPS distances matched the tracks from the Fenix 3 and my 5x Plus.

• Volker_I.
              Volker_I. commented
              Editing a comment
              @nmyeti
              About sniveling was not addressed to you, rather to a lot of other users. Sorry, if it was misleading. Maybe it is my English, I am from Germany.

• nmyeti
              nmyeti commented
              Editing a comment
              Volker_I. No I understood. My comment was agreeing with you. Sorry if that was unclear. I think a lot of users expect to have magic on their wrists and while the Fenix 5x Plus does some amazing things in a small package, it isn't magic!

Ok Thanks!!

Comment

Great read and lessons learned. Thanks.

Comment

That looks like a great trip! It's beautiful country up there. Thanks for taking the time to write all of that up.
                Also, congrats on leaving the next 2 summits for a future trip - that's some clever thinking!

(as a minor editor note, the link to the last Connect activity is a dup of the relive link...)

Comment

• nmyeti
                  nmyeti commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks! I fixed that.
              Working...
              X