Announcement

Collapse

Forum Upgrade

We’re excited to announce that the Garmin Forums will soon be moving to a new platform that should greatly improve our forum experience for everyone. We will update everyone as more information becomes available.
See more
See less

Anomalies in Power data from spinning bike (+ Garmin Connect question)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anomalies in Power data from spinning bike (+ Garmin Connect question)

The gym I train at got Spinning-bikes with power meters (technogym group cycle connect) and I could add the powermeter as a sensor to my Fenix 5+ (as well as cadence). I've never used Power meters before for training so I was superexcited.
    Everything looked good during cycling, except for occasional sensor drop outs (going to test with different placements of the watch). Not a huge deal, since the sensors reconnects right away.

But when saving the activity I noticed some strange average and max power values.

The data recording showed several issues.
    1st test - 10 min with F5+ ;
    • 3 spikes up to 56 000 watts within the first 10 min (first at 97 sec)
    • over 5 power drops (to half power)
    2nd test - 35 min with F5+;
    • 1 sec Power spikes (random times in the first 10min and then every 60 seconds)
    • 2 sec Power drop (to exactly half value) every 65 seconds
    I’ve attached 2 graphs of 2nd test; one showing the spikes and one where spikes have been corrected so one can see the power drops. (Power is the blue line)

I borrowed a friends F5X on the same spinning bike and experienced no power spikes or half-value drops (but a few sensor drop-outs here as well). This makes me think the problem is not with the spinning bike but with the F5+.

I’m on the 5.58 Beta Firmware, so I’m going to try to roll back to 5.10 and see if that corrects the problem.

PS!
    This has now given me a very high FTP, w/kg, and possibly too high cycling VO2max.
    How to reset these values to null/blank so that these power anomalies do not affect any future training setup or estimates of performance stats? Or they will just be overwritten when a new estimate of FTP and vo2max is done.
    Regards,

Jim
    Garmin devices: Fenix 5 Plus, Varia Vision, Varia Radar, Speed/Cadence Sensors, and Edge® Remote Control
    (Retired/Sold: Edge 705, Edge 1000, Fenix 5x)

Power drops - peaks removed.jpgPower peaks.jpg Trying to post larger pics than thumbnails, but always seem impossible.
    Regards,

Jim
    Garmin devices: Fenix 5 Plus, Varia Vision, Varia Radar, Speed/Cadence Sensors, and Edge® Remote Control

Comment

Hi Jim, I think 5.1 will solve the 50KW spikes. I had no issues with 5.1 and then updated to 5.57 BETA and got these spikes right away. I feed back to the BETA team. I hope they fixed the issue in the 6.0 release which I received today. I am going to have a ride this evening and will see if 6.0 solves the spikes of if I need to go all the way back to 5.1 with loosing all settings :-(

Comment

I also posted in the Fenix 5x Plus Forum in within the 5.57 Beta Release thread #20 and some more people experienced this issue.

Comment

Thank you thbrod for the input.

This sounds very promising. Since it is around the corner, I'll try updating to FW6 first. Eagerly awaiting you results.
          Regards,

Jim

Comment

Just returned from my 50km tour. Dissapointed, 6.0 did not fix the power peeks. Recorded in parallel with a edge 520 and latest firmware, there was only one ! 1000 Watt peek. On Fenix i had a average of 627 Watt throuhout the 2 hours.... a „little“ high

Comment

I'm having the same problem. Power spikes while riding a Smart trainer (Elite Direto) of up to 63,000 watts. Most times it is in the 1500 to 2000 watt range and will drop off to 50 to 70 watts lower than what my Zwift profile is reading before returning to values within a couple watts of Zwift.
              I've compared with a Forerunner 935 and it doesn't get the spikes either.
              Funny at first (my FTP was 23.7 w/kg) but, it's getting annoying really quickly.

Comment

6.51 beta solved the power spike problem.

Comment

Thank you. I've just installed. Will report back as soon as I get a chance to give it a try.

Comment

FIXED! Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                    X