No announcement yet.

Disappointing battery life

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointing battery life

I have just upgraded from a Fenix 5 to a Fenix 5 plus and so far I am finding the battery life to be a lot less than I would expect.

I used to get nearly 2 weeks battery life out of the Fenix 5 but so far the Fenix 5 plus has used 25% in 2 days, both watches are set up and used exactly the same.

I know the Fenix 5 plus is supposed to have slightly less battery life but at this rate it is not even going to last a week.

Does anyone know if this will improve if I cycle the battery a couple of times or if this is normal for this model
    Garmin devices: Edge 810, Oregon 750t, Fenix 5 plus, Index Smart Scales, GSC-10, Tempe, Premium HR, Basic HR

Retired: eTrex Vista, eTrex Vista C, eTrex Vista HCx Oregon 550t, Oregon 650t, Edge 500, Fenix 5

Hi,

You are not detailing very much, are you using lot of GPS, music, backlight, notifications....??? or the eating of 25% was only in Watch mode?

Comment

Originally posted by txepe View Post
      Hi,

You are not detailing very much, are you using lot of GPS, music, backlight, notifications....??? or the eating of 25% was only in Watch mode?
      Just in smartwatch mode, had a couple of emails, GPS for 30 minutes.
      Garmin devices: Edge 810, Oregon 750t, Fenix 5 plus, Index Smart Scales, GSC-10, Tempe, Premium HR, Basic HR

Retired: eTrex Vista, eTrex Vista C, eTrex Vista HCx Oregon 550t, Oregon 650t, Edge 500, Fenix 5

Comment

You're not the only one. My Fenix 5 plus went from 100% to around 75% in the first 24 hours. This included 50ish minutes of activities with GPS on, which can account for maybe 5% drain, but even then, 20%/day in watch only mode is unacceptable for this watch. This is with OHR and notifications but otherwise very much a stock setup - no music, no custom apps or watch faces installed, nothing. I tried restarting the watch which might have helped a bit, but it's too early to say.

It's true that these batteries are not a their strongest on the first power cycle or two, so I don't want to draw premature conclusion (that's why I didn't post first), but i's very unlike Fenix 5 who had about 1/3rd battery drain since the day one (I should know, since I got it recently).

On the good note, battery draw during activities seems on par what I would expect. It lost about some 3% in half an hour of running. Though it did loose another 3% in following half an hour in watch mode, which is harder to explain. Maybe it has some issues syncinc...

I think we'll just need to wait for more data.

Comment

I’m not sure what’s going wrong for you guys. I charged my 5 Plus to 100% after a run yesterday morning. Since then (30+ hours later) I’ve recorded a 15 minute bike ride to the gym (GPS+GALILEO), recorded a 50 minute strength training activity with headphones paired playing music throughout, recorded a 15 minute bike ride home and then a 15 minute bike ride to work (total of 45 minutes of GPS active around bike rides and all with LiveTrack enabled). I have my phone connected to the watch throughout and my backlight is set to gesture on. After all of that I’m only down to 81%, with the 50 minutes playing music seeming to be the single biggest drain (around 6-7% from memory).

Comment

I’ve upgraded from 5 too. I’ve run three times (12 km) and swam twice (open water 40 minutes each). The battery drain in this three days has been online 26%. So far pretty good, even better than muy Fenix 5.

Comment

I'm a bit concerned about it, but sometimes batteries need a full charge cycle before the % is accurate. Running with music certainly took its toll on the battery. 20% drain on a 45 minute run. That had Galileo turned on too.

Comment

I've to confirm the same observations as the thread openers. For me it was the same: the watch showed some unusual high drainage while just wearing it. During a run itself it was ok for me and sounded reasonable (music as well as Galileo enabled).

Anyway, I don't want to judge too early. The watch was on it's first charge. When I unboxed it, it showed "67%" and I just charged it up to 100%. Maybe the battery just wasn't at it's full potential by this initial charge.
                Yesterday evening I charged it back to 100% and this morning it still showed 100% (I don't wear it while sleeping). Obviously this sounds ok :-)

Garmin 201 (eBayed), 305 (RIP), 305, 920XT (eBayed), 630 (eBayed), Fenix 5 (eBayed), 935 (sold), Fenix 5plus
                Suunto T6D, Ambit2, Spartan Ultra (eBayed), Suunto 9 Baro
                Polar S625X

Comment

Hi,

Could it be that the battery measurement on the watch is not calibrated. It does not know the true 100% and 0%.

I would let the watch drain till it powered down by itself and then charge it up to 100% over the night or extended time. (Even if the watch shows 100%, the battery may not be fully charged)
                  It is not uncommon and I've had this issue on iphones and other devices.
                  Regards,

Jim
                  Garmin devices: Fenix 5 Plus, Varia Vision, Varia Radar, Speed/Cadence Sensors, and Edge® Remote Control
                  (Retired/Sold: Edge 705, Edge 1000, Fenix 5x)

Comment

Just to report back:

24h later it was still showing 100%. That was too good to be true of course. Therefore I rebooted the watch and then it showed 93%. This morning it was at 90%.
                    So from my point it's ok now and it looks like that it just was caused by the initial charge and probably the missing calibration that jimoestman mentioned.

Garmin 201 (eBayed), 305 (RIP), 305, 920XT (eBayed), 630 (eBayed), Fenix 5 (eBayed), 935 (sold), Fenix 5plus
                    Suunto T6D, Ambit2, Spartan Ultra (eBayed), Suunto 9 Baro
                    Polar S625X

Comment

Why did you reboot it? You could have it at 100% forever.

I haven't charged mine, but after initial high drain (25% in 24 hours), and after reboot, in next 48 hours it drained 23% (to 52%). Including 30 minute run with GPS and another non-GPS activity. Though I had notifications off for a while to check if it makes difference (it does a bit). Still, it definitely looks more promising and much closer to my expectations, and hopefully will get even better on next charge.

I also installed Battery Widget which is reporting pretty reasonable numbers (right now it claims I still have 7 days left). At this point, I am tentatively optimistic that what we're seeing is only initial charge issue.

Comment

5S Plus here.
                        In watch mode only, its the same than my Vivoactive 3.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilippeGerin View Post
                          5S Plus here.
                          In watch mode only, its the same than my Vivoactive 3.
                          Hi, how about music, gps and maps use?? are the numbers like ones from Garmin specs?

Really like the size and wieght of 5s but have some doubts for certain medium-hikes (using music and gps...).

I guess maps are battery hungry beasts

Comment

Wow. Got my 5S Plus yesterday PM. Out of the box it was at 62% charged. Charged it to 100%, slept with it on, did a 70 minute run this morning with GPS+Galileo+HR strap+Stryd, no cellphone. Now battery is at only 38%!

Hope this doesn't continue or it's going back.

Comment

Originally posted by zaragozamj View Post
                              Wow. Got my 5S Plus yesterday PM. Out of the box it was at 62% charged. Charged it to 100%, slept with it on, did a 70 minute run this morning with GPS+Galileo+HR strap+Stryd, no cellphone. Now battery is at only 38%!

Hope this doesn't continue or it's going back.
                              Hello,
                              If you know or can guess, how long did you charge it after it showed 100% on the display? Battery may not have been 100% at the time checked it, and it may not be true 38% now.
                              Before sending it back, try what I wrote in an earlier post in this thread and check if that improves battery measurement.

Let us know how it went.
                              Regards,

Jim
                              Garmin devices: Fenix 5 Plus, Varia Vision, Varia Radar, Speed/Cadence Sensors, and Edge® Remote Control
                              (Retired/Sold: Edge 705, Edge 1000, Fenix 5x)

Comment

Working...
                              X