No announcement yet.

Unable to pair Fenix 3 with Android 7.0 phone

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to pair Fenix 3 with Android 7.0 phone

Anyone having also problem when trying to pair the Fenix 3 with Android after recent updates from Garmin? The PIN shows up for a couple of seconds and i'm unable to type it. No matter what I try. My wife has Fenix 3 Rose/Gold, FW 8.50, Garmin Connect Mobile 4.0.7, Huawei P10 Lite on Android 7.0. The Fenix was working seamlessly with the phone for several months but right after the updates from Garmin it stopped working.

I'm trying to contact my local Garmin vendor, however no info from them yet. I've seen that this issue is having a lot of people after the updates.

No solution I have found so far is working. I've tried several reboots of watches and phone, combinations of GCM version. Not going to downgrade to Android 6.0, that is not an option.

Yep, I have the exact same problem lately. It randomly works for a couple of hours and disconnects afterwards.

Comment

same problem here, hope there will be a fix soon...

Comment

If the problem is that your watch won't stay connected, try the app GCMrunner. It keeps your phone and garmin watched paired very well. You have to follow the instructions carefully, and sometimes it take a try or two to stick, but I have found my BT connection to be way, way better using GCMrunner.

Comment

The problem is that we're using smart notifications, is that what GCMrunner can handle too? Also does it allow to manipulate the apps on the watches?

Comment

Try to uninstall the garmin app, then reinstall from the play store and pair with the Watch again from the garmin app.
            Alternately, you may also try to restart the Watch before pairing again.

Comment

Trust me, I did everything to fix it. Here are the actions taken, they have been combined differently to just test everything:
              1. Reinstall GCM, several versions like 4.0.7, 4.0.5, 3.20, 3.22 .. including GCM app cache wiping
              2. Wipe cache partition on the mobile
              3. Numerous reboots of mobile with/without Bluetooth turned on.
              4. Numerous reboots of Garmin Fenix
              5. Downgrading Fenix FW down to 7.20
              6. All of above combined in the sequence - uninstall GCM, hard reset Fenix, reboot, wipe cache partition on mobile, reboot, try to pair the device. Different versions of SW/FW tried.

I spent like 8-10 hours doing this, including working for 3 hours with not really helping Garmin support.

Only thing that actually worked is to get phone with Android 6.0 and voila, working straight away.

Garmin support wasn't able to explain me how it is possible that the sync was working on the 7.0 Android without problem for last 8 months. And it did break only after GCM was updated to 4.0.7 and Fenix FW to 8.50. Also local support keep saying that Android 7.1 should be working where we have proofs here in the forum that it isn't.

Given the fact that they still have all devices with Android 7.0 in the supported devices and there is no information that upgrading to latest Garmin SW/FW breaks the stuff, this leads to only conclusion - they are really not supporting their customers. I would expect at least information somewhere saying that if you have Android 7.0 and it is working - do not touch the update button at all costs. Also put this info on the compatibility lists. And definitely I would expect that support stuff should be aware of the issue and at least they will now if there is any timeline for the fix to come, or if the users have been dumped and have to get either new phone or return the watches when 50% of the functionality is gone.

This customer support I value very very poorly. I would think twice now before buying anything from Garmin.
              Last edited by SUSSAMB; 11-09-2017, 03:56 PM. Reason: Language

Comment

Resolved, for use case below..

# Android 7.0; P8 Lite non rooted, Garmin Fenix 3 8.5 firmware, Garmin Connect 4.0.7

OK, so bit of background, I had this same issue c1 year ago on my Nexus6p (also made by Huwawei) that was running Android 7.0 at the time. I did not notice the issue as I had upgraded the OS, and device already connected, so only when I wiped the OS, did I get the error. I didn't think too much on it as by timing 7.1 update landed from google that fixed the issue. The error tbc is not with Garmin dev team. (by the way the P8 is not on the bluetooth tested list... https://static.garmin.com/gcm/BLE_Android.pdf )

So... I connected the device above to android studio there and captured a list of the errors from the moment you click Add a device to when the passkey prompt on the watch disappears, after too short a timeframe, c3 seconds. It is shown below, the items relating to this issue.

11-10 09:59:21.618 22846-22846/? E/Bth: BigDataReceiver:intent or context is null.
                11-10 09:59:21.637 22846-25516/? E/bt_btm: btm_ble_scan_pf_cmpl_cback: unknown operation: 0
                11-10 09:59:23.259 22846-22846/? E/Bth: BigDataReceiver:intent or context is null.
                11-10 09:59:23.269 22846-25539/? E/Bth: BtExceptionProcessor:deviceType unknown.
                11-10 09:59:23.281 22846-25516/? E/bt_l2cap: BLE connect is NOT magiclink

[ 11-10 09:59:23.281 22846:25516 I/ ]
                stop ble scan for create connection
                11-10 09:59:23.499 22846-25516/? E/bt_btif: bta_gattc_cache_load: can't open GATT cache file /data/misc/bluetooth/gatt_cache_e3eb472c8152 for reading, error: Permission denied
                11-10 09:59:23.502 25531-25531/? E/iConnect: ConnectService:cannot get cachedDevice,return
                11-10 09:59:23.502 22846-25503/? E/Bth: BtExceptionProcessor:deviceType unknown.
                11-10 09:59:23.541 3923-3923/? E/Bluetooth_stlib: BluetoothEventManager:Got bonding state changed for E3:EB:47:2C:81:52, but we have no record of that device.
                11-10 09:59:23.554 470-470/? E/ServiceManager: try to find service failed, not allowed access from isolated processes.

Now you might not know whats going on above, but the multiple wireless services are clashing with each other, admittedly this is in some way due to the request order below...

A: Location services set to on; B: Wireless on; C: Bluetooth on; D: Mobile data on
                2: Garmin checks for A+B+C t various points, and if A+B+C are on when you click add device your doomed/ DOA

Anyway, to get round this is actually quite simple, but yes annoying...

1 A+B+C+D on
                2 open garmin on phone, no other apps open as seems sensible as a given as well
                3 in the welcome visual of connect app, click add
                4 the graphics will appear for fenix 3 hr ect, this is connect app using your internet connection to get the list of JPEG images, and it also checks for location on, if not will error.
                5: don't do the last step in blue yet that you would now do on the app... where it initiates the process
                6: switch off wireless, and location services, and mobile data (A+B+D)
                - at this point what matters is nothing mess up Bluetooth connection
                7: on fenix3, start pair new device
                8: now - silly but tricky bit, click the blue bar on connect app to start the pairing
                9: enter passkey
                10: immediately switch on again (A+B+D)
                11: tbc your not a script but a person so you will end up doing it >1000ms, so enough time to let the initial Bluetooth process be successful
                12: it does need those services (A+B) after the third green icon on the connection journey, hence why we switched them back on
                13: if interested what you should notice is the passkey is now staying on the watch for c10 seconds, service not stopped
                14: if should all work now

For reference I wiped my watch ect in frustration until realised wtf, I am just going to fix this or change firmware so I appreaciate the frustration. My view is that Garmin Devs if listening your really going a bit overboard here with using so many services accessed in a short time, when Bluetooth is flaky. I actually use oreo (8.1 beta) now on my nexus6p all works great for garmin software, just changing phones for a month before my pixel xl2 arrives, hence why I ended up with a p8 lite...

I hope this helps.

Oh, switching off GPS once all setup, for a few mins, will allow any reconnecting issues to self resolve.

fin
                Last edited by fin.pimlico; 11-10-2017, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Fin,
                  yes, after several hours from sending this I actually admit that the strangest thing is that it was working seamlessly for such a long time with Android 7.0. It only recently stopped receiving smart notifications. then I've tried to check it and the device was gone from the paired list. since then the struggle started. Thanks for the investigation you did, that really brings some light into this. However, to be honest, I would expect someone from Garmin coming to the page (here or garmin FB page or play store) and add piece of information how the situation really looks like, just like you did it. Then I would shut up and say - well, I've been warned.

That is pretty much the only thing after all these rants. the customer care - providing the information. I have P8 now and my wife Honor 8, if I would upgrade my P8 with Android 7.0 (which is actually possible) I would be in trouble despite having P8 in the compatible device list.

Jiri
                  Last edited by SUSSAMB; 11-10-2017, 08:00 AM. Reason: Language

Comment

Hey fin,

thanks for your time and dedication to debug this mess! Unfortunately for me it still does not work, even with mobile data off & wireless off & gps off the passcode submittion form is gone in a matter of seconds, too fast to enter the digits.

Will try later again and restart both phone and watch, maybe that in addition will do the trick.
                    Hopefully garmin android devs are already working on this... Interesting enough there is a stackoverflow entry about that, wondering if our problem might be similar:
                    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...missions-error

Max

Comment

If you guys are going to all the trouble you describe in your posts, it seems to me you should at least try GCMrunner, which takes about 10 minutes to install and try, and doesn't require any invasive steps at all. GCMrunner toggles BT on and off every so often and tries to restablish the connection with the watch. This solves the problem of the BT connection becoming unstable after a period of non-activity. If the BT toggle doesn't work, then GCMrunner provides a very easy way to repair the watch to the phone. Remember that you don't want to pair the watch with the phone using the Android BT pairing utility. You want to pair the watch to the phone using GCM. GCMrunner allows you to do this within its shell, which may fix the problems you are having with the pairing code disappearing (don't know, because I haven't had that problem).

I struggled with BT pairing issues with my Samsung Galaxy S7 and Android for a long time before I installed GCMrunner. Now I run my F3 and Android v7 with very few problems (and I am using Smart Notifications). On the odd occasion when the watch loses its connection, a simple reboot of the phone usually fixes the problem.

Comment

I had GCMrunner and while it may be beneficial to some people, in this case it did not help me. Even worse, it disabled bluetooth and did not enable it again. So do not get your hopes up yet that this is a solution...

Comment

Thank you fin.pimlico

You solution is working fine in my case also
                          Huawei P10 Lite (Android 7.0) + Forerunner 235 (Firmware 7.50)

Comment

Thank you very much fin, this worked for me with my Honor 6x and a vivosmart HR+

Comment

Originally posted by fin.pimlico View Post
                              Resolved, for use case below..

# Android 7.0; P8 Lite non rooted, Garmin Fenix 3 8.5 firmware, Garmin Connect 4.0.7

OK, so bit of background, I had this same issue c1 year ago on my Nexus6p (also made by Huwawei) that was running Android 7.0 at the time. I did not notice the issue as I had upgraded the OS, and device already connected, so only when I wiped the OS, did I get the error. I didn't think too much on it as by timing 7.1 update landed from google that fixed the issue. The error tbc is not with Garmin dev team. (by the way the P8 is not on the bluetooth tested list... https://static.garmin.com/gcm/BLE_Android.pdf )

So... I connected the device above to android studio there and captured a list of the errors from the moment you click Add a device to when the passkey prompt on the watch disappears, after too short a timeframe, c3 seconds. It is shown below, the items relating to this issue.

11-10 09:59:21.618 22846-22846/? E/Bth: BigDataReceiver:intent or context is null.
                              11-10 09:59:21.637 22846-25516/? E/bt_btm: btm_ble_scan_pf_cmpl_cback: unknown operation: 0
                              11-10 09:59:23.259 22846-22846/? E/Bth: BigDataReceiver:intent or context is null.
                              11-10 09:59:23.269 22846-25539/? E/Bth: BtExceptionProcessor:deviceType unknown.
                              11-10 09:59:23.281 22846-25516/? E/bt_l2cap: BLE connect is NOT magiclink

[ 11-10 09:59:23.281 22846:25516 I/ ]
                              stop ble scan for create connection
                              11-10 09:59:23.499 22846-25516/? E/bt_btif: bta_gattc_cache_load: can't open GATT cache file /data/misc/bluetooth/gatt_cache_e3eb472c8152 for reading, error: Permission denied
                              11-10 09:59:23.502 25531-25531/? E/iConnect: ConnectService:cannot get cachedDevice,return
                              11-10 09:59:23.502 22846-25503/? E/Bth: BtExceptionProcessor:deviceType unknown.
                              11-10 09:59:23.541 3923-3923/? E/Bluetooth_stlib: BluetoothEventManager:Got bonding state changed for E3:EB:47:2C:81:52, but we have no record of that device.
                              11-10 09:59:23.554 470-470/? E/ServiceManager: try to find service failed, not allowed access from isolated processes.

Now you might not know whats going on above, but the multiple wireless services are clashing with each other, admittedly this is in some way due to the request order below...

A: Location services set to on; B: Wireless on; C: Bluetooth on; D: Mobile data on
                              2: Garmin checks for A+B+C t various points, and if A+B+C are on when you click add device your doomed/ DOA

Anyway, to get round this is actually quite simple, but yes annoying...

1 A+B+C+D on
                              2 open garmin on phone, no other apps open as seems sensible as a given as well
                              3 in the welcome visual of connect app, click add
                              4 the graphics will appear for fenix 3 hr ect, this is connect app using your internet connection to get the list of JPEG images, and it also checks for location on, if not will error.
                              5: don't do the last step in blue yet that you would now do on the app... where it initiates the process
                              6: switch off wireless, and location services, and mobile data (A+B+D)
                              - at this point what matters is nothing mess up Bluetooth connection
                              7: on fenix3, start pair new device
                              8: now - silly but tricky bit, click the blue bar on connect app to start the pairing
                              9: enter passkey
                              10: immediately switch on again (A+B+D)
                              11: tbc your not a script but a person so you will end up doing it >1000ms, so enough time to let the initial Bluetooth process be successful
                              12: it does need those services (A+B) after the third green icon on the connection journey, hence why we switched them back on
                              13: if interested what you should notice is the passkey is now staying on the watch for c10 seconds, service not stopped
                              14: if should all work now

For reference I wiped my watch ect in frustration until realised wtf, I am just going to fix this or change firmware so I appreaciate the frustration. My view is that Garmin Devs if listening your really going a bit overboard here with using so many services accessed in a short time, when Bluetooth is flaky. I actually use oreo (8.1 beta) now on my nexus6p all works great for garmin software, just changing phones for a month before my pixel xl2 arrives, hence why I ended up with a p8 lite...

I hope this helps.

Oh, switching off GPS once all setup, for a few mins, will allow any reconnecting issues to self resolve.

fin
                              Grazie mille!!!!
                              La soluzione sembra funzionare anche con il FORERUNNER 235 stesso telefono della procedura.
                              Se fosse stato per la garmin ancora stavamo in alto mare.
                              Unica cosa mi pare non funzioni la sincronizzazione degli allenamenti. Ok la sincronizzazione dei passi

Grazie mille.

Comment

Working...
                              X