No announcement yet.

Basecamp has been discontinued

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basecamp has been discontinued

Per the last of several technicians I talked to today, told me Garmin decided several months ago to discontinue any updates to Basecamp and to let it die. Any new devices that don't work, will not be updated to work with Basecamp. The RV770 is one of them.
    RV770 - RV760 - BASECAMP 4.6.2 - NUVI 3790LMT - dezl

This is really bad news. BaseCamp is one of the main reasons I use Garmin GPS's.

Comment

You might want to wait for better confirmation before panicking.

Comment

I hope I got wrong information.

But of the 7-8 people I talked to over three hours, engineers, automotive, "tech support", designers and software, only the software guy really knew anything about Basecamp. All the others either didn't know or gave me wrong information and I had to explain to them how to do it. At that point I would be transferred to someone else. Than I would get the person who would put me on hold and go ask someone else what to ask me like, how many POI's on the route, how many shapping points, to see if I was exceeding the limits. One guy said I could only use Trip Planner and no more routes could be used in Basecamp and he could make it work with no problem, until I asked him about his equipment and he said everything was the same except he was using a RV760 and not a RV770. Dude, everything works fine on the 760, that came out three years ago.

So it was the software guy, that said Basecamp hasn't been updated in a long time, I guess it needs a patch. I said I have a list for you. He said I bet you have. I was put on hold. He came back 10 minutes later and said, OH I forget to tell you, two months ago the company decided to not continue to update Basecamp any longer and if a new device comes out and it doesn't work with Basecamp, than it won't work.

It kind of sounded like they just decided that during that 10 minutes I was on hold, but I feel Garmin thinks Basecamp is a pain to them and they don't care about it. He told me to file a complaint, write a letter and explain why it's important.

Comment

You might want to try switching to mass storage mode and see if that makes any difference.

I think the last BaseCamp developer left over a year ago. It is now what it is
          Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
          Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
          (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

what do you mean, don't you have to select that to connect to basecamp to connect

Comment

Originally posted by JasonBellJR View Post
              ...Garmin decided several months ago to discontinue any updates to Basecamp and to let it die.
              Some of us "old timers" remember the MapSource to BaseCamp transition.

In Jan 2009 Garmin announced BaseCamp.

http://garmin.blogs.com/pr/2009/01/i...dventures.html

Until then MapSource had been their software but it got it's last update in Oct 2010.

http://www.garmin.com/support/downlo...ils.jsp?id=209

Some time after that Garmin officially/unofficially (I forget) declared MapSource "dead".

I just checked the Garmin blog at

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/

and saw no announcement of new software.

Perhaps it's coming, perhaps not.

PS: MapSource was around for some 10 years. BaseCamp has been around 8 (with no update to the PC version for a year or so).
              nuvi 1490T (6.30) + 32GB microSDHC card & ecoRoute HD, Oregon 600 (5.00) + 32GB microSDHC card & tempe, GPSmap 76CSx (4.00) + 32GB microSDHC card, GPS V (2.60), GPS 12XL (2.02)

This is a user-to-user forum. I am not, and never have been, a Garmin employee. My opinions are my own.

Comment

Basecamp, more or less, does the same thing as Mapsource did.

It doesn't make much sense supporting two programs that do the same thing.

Comment

After about 5 emails stating the problem over the last two days, the last response contained the phrase:
                  "I can promise you that Basecamp is still being supported and is a highly used program for us and our customers."

It also seems that support does not have a RV770 to work with which is why this point is so difficult to get across to them, they can not test it...

We'll see...

Comment

It doesn't seem like this is a Basecamp issue. The RV770 connects to BC, it transfers anything you want, it's visible in BC and everything but the route/trip stays on the device when ejected from BC. Certainly looks like a device problem to me since it's just a step up from the RV760 which has no issues with BC, unlike a different type device like for a motorcycle which doesn't work with BC.

Comment

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 7:54 PM, <Product.Support@garmin.com> wrote:
                      Hello Jason,

I apologize for all the frustration your device has caused you. We're actually opening a research case to figure out what's causing BaseCamp to not cooperate with the RV 770 LMT-S and resolve the issue so that you'll be able to use both. In order to do that, I'll need to know the firmware version on your device. To find this:

Go to the main menu of the device
                      Press Settings
                      Scroll to the bottom and press Device
                      Press About

You'll find the software version listed on this page. Please reply to this message with this information; once I receive it, I'll forward it to our research team; it will take them some time to find or develop a solution. I appreciate your patience and understanding.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact us and we will be happy to help. Our business hours are 8 am to 6 pm Central time on Monday through Thursday, and 8 am to 5 pm Central time on Fridays. Please note that Product Support will be closed on Friday, April 14.

Thank you for choosing Garmin,

Tiffany
                      Product Support - Automotive Team
                      Garmin International
                      http://support.garmin.com

---------------------------

to: Product.Support@garmin.com
                      date: Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 8:13 PM
                      subject: Re: I'm sending this back. Send me a shipping label

I'm the guy that started the case, and not one person at Garmin in any department had a RV770 of all the 8 or 9 people for over like 3 hours yesterday that I talked to.

I don't think this is a BC problem, this is a device problem. The amount of confusion from one person to the other at Garmin is embarrassing.

I reset the device before I boxed it back up yesterday to return it so I don't know if that effects the software version.

Right now it's Version: 2.50

Comment

Working...
                      X