No announcement yet.

Trip Planner

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Planner

I created a trip using trip planner in basecamp. It doesn't show up on my Zumo 395LM. When I unplug the zumo and power on it gives me the option to import the trip and it looks like it worked however when I go into trip planner on the zumo it's not there. I can see routes that I created manually without trip planner. It's only the routes created in trip planner that don't show up. When I click on the menu and import trips the trip shows up, I click on it gets to about 60% then says it can't save the trip. Anyone else have this problem?
    Last edited by J0k3r; 08-12-2017, 06:41 PM.

I also tried creating it as a route using create route. Same problem. I've created other routes this way and it worked fine. Only difference is that with this route I put in departure and layover times. I'll remove those and see if that's what's causing the issue.

Comment

Well removing the times didn't work either. The route is an out-and-back route that goes 500miles and turns around follwing the same route. When I removed the return leg it works fine. I can successfully send the trip and view it in my zumo 395LM. So it appears that the device doesn't like routes that fold back on itself following the exact same route. Can anyone else confirm this?

Comment

The issue is more likely the length and/or complexity of the route. Also note a route on your device can only have 30 waypoints.
        Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
        Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
        (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Originally posted by SUSSAMB View Post
          The issue is more likely the length and/or complexity of the route. Also note a route on your device can only have 30 waypoints.
          The route is 500 miles each way. Not complex. 95 north from south FL to Charleston, SC and back. 8 waypoints. I have done a longer route with more waypoints and it works fine. The difference with that route is that it doesn't take the exact same route back. It's more of a circular route.

Comment

Well nothing else is likely to be the issue, since splitting it seems to work for you.
            Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
            (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Well nothing else is likely to be the issue, since splitting it seems to work for you.
              couldn't it be a SW bug? I created a route that is over 2500 miles long with 19 waypoints and it saves to the unit just fine. Only difference is that the route doesn't take the same path back. I've reached out to Garmin to see what they have to say.

Comment

I guess. Maybe something strange about that particular route. I'm away at the moment so unable to check it out for you.

Comment

I guess. Maybe something strange about that particular route. I'm away at the moment so unable to check it out for you.
                  I would appreciate that. I modified the route by taking it down to 6 waypoints not including the start and stop and still the same issue. Won't save to the zumo. By chance do you know how many waypoints are allowed? I can send you the route if that helps. Thanks.
                  Last edited by J0k3r; 08-14-2017, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J0k3r View Post

I would appreciate that. I modified the route by taking it down to 6 waypoints not including the start and stop and still the same issue. Won't save to the zumo. By chance do you know how many waypoints are allowed? I can send you the route if that helps. Thanks.
                    According to Garmin the max number of waypoints allowed in a route is 30. So I'm way under that.

Comment

After experimenting I think I figured it out. Apparently the Zumo 395LM doesn't like to use the same waypoints more than once in a route. For example originally I had a route that looked like this:

A-1-2-3-4-5-6-B-6-5-4-3-2-1-A. The letters are my start and destination points and the numbers are waypoints in between. This route would not import to the Zumo. The Zumo would give me a message stating that the route could not be imported. I then changed the waypoints on the return leg at the same exit (the waypoints are fuel/rest stops) and it worked fine. So the route now looks like A-1-2-3-4-5-6-B-7-8-9-10-11-12-A. I'm on a chat session not trying to report it to Garmin.

Comment

the Nuvis will not let the user create more than one Favorite (waypoint) at the same geolocated street address. So it sounds like map business POIs stored by street address may be converted to waypoints in the routing algorithm and cause an error.

In addition the Garmin User Manual for this newer Zumo 395LM device describes the ability to route to individual businesses inside some mall and airport locations, so this option may result in further filtering.

Comment

I've figured this out. While you can use the same geolocated waypoint more than once it must be named differently for each segment. So just adding a 2 at the end of the waypoint name resolved the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by J0k3r View Post
                            I've figured this out. While you can use the same geolocated waypoint more than once it must be named differently for each segment. So just adding a 2 at the end of the waypoint name resolved the issue.
                            Isn't that 2 different waypoints at the same location?

Comment

Working...
                            X