No announcement yet.

Will BaseCamp Be Upgraded To 64-bit?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will BaseCamp Be Upgraded To 64-bit?

Apple has been warning people that the next MacOS after High Sierra (v10.13.x) will no longer run 32-bit programs. In fact, Apple has stopped accepting 32-bit programs for sale in the App Store. After High Sierra the MacOS will only run 64-bit programs. This has been coming for a long time so it's not as if Apple is springing this on people. But BaseCamp (v4.6.3) is a 32-bit program. That means it won't run on future versions of the MacOS.

I've done an online search but I can't find anything from Garmin about getting a 64-bit release of BaseCamp or some new program to take BaseCamp's place that is natively 64-bit. Has anyone on this forum heard anything?

I like BaseCamp. I use it weekly if not more often than that and I'd hate to lose it. I suppose I could keep High Sierra on an external drive or a partition of my internal drive along with the 32-bit BaseCamp but that's a hassle having to reboot to the other drive just to use one program. Garmin is abandoning Garmin Adventues and Cloud Service in May of 2018 a service I've used extensively to post my Adventures for friends to follow and use. I sure hope Garmin isn't abandoning BaseCamp, too.
    Last edited by Richard_S.; 04-15-2018, 12:00 PM.

I doubt if there will be a 64 bit version.
    Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
    Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
    (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Based on what? Here was your last prediction. Now, I can understand they need to release an update to yank out adventure cloud support (which is a damned shame, but whatever)....but if they are releasing a new version, it takes nothing to compile for 64-bit.

Comment

Well we'll see but as there is no sign of any BaseCamp development team I'd be surprised.
        Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
        Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
        (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Originally posted by mad_hungarian View Post
          ...it takes nothing to compile for 64-bit.
          That's not necessarily true.

Comment

It's really not that big of a deal:
            https://developer.apple.com/library/...istingApp.html
            Last edited by SUSSAMB; Today, 12:03 AM. Reason: Please try not to quote the post directly above yours, it's unnecessary and just clutters up the thread, thanks.

Comment

There can be more to it than that. Things don't always work when changing from 32 bit to 64 bit.
              Last edited by SUSSAMB; Today, 12:04 AM. Reason: Please try not to quote the post directly above yours, it's unnecessary and just clutters up the thread, thanks.

Comment

LOL, ok.

Comment

Working...
                X