Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garmin Swim 3.6 Update - What is new? Couldn't find any release notes...

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Garmin Swim 3.6 Update - What is new? Couldn't find any release notes...

    Anyone able to find it?

  • #2
    You beat me to the Update Post! I was holding off posting about it until the problem with the release notes not being displayed gets resolved. But since you asked, here are the release notes:
    - Significant improvements made to stroke type identification accuracy across all paces
    - Fixed issues with zero-second active and rest lengths
    - Improved transition from rest to active swimming
    - Added the display of session distance to the drill page
    - Fixed session distance update in custom training page
    - Added option to disable stroke type identification so stroke type is not shown on the watch or on Garmin Connect

    The main thing is the improved stroke type identification that we expect many users will notice. You can get the update here. Note that when the watch displays "CONNECT TO COMPUTER" that just means that it is connecting. You don't need to do anything, just don't take the watch away.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ag_swims View Post
      You beat me to the Update Post! I was holding off posting about it until the problem with the release notes not being displayed gets resolved. But since you asked, here are the release notes:
      - Significant improvements made to stroke type identification accuracy across all paces
      - Fixed issues with zero-second active and rest lengths
      - Improved transition from rest to active swimming
      - Added the display of session distance to the drill page
      - Fixed session distance update in custom training page
      - Added option to disable stroke type identification so stroke type is not shown on the watch or on Garmin Connect

      The main thing is the improved stroke type identification that we expect many users will notice. You can get the update here. Note that when the watch displays "CONNECT TO COMPUTER" that just means that it is connecting. You don't need to do anything, just don't take the watch away.
      nice, thanks for your hard work

      Comment


      • #4
        3.6 - can't sync anmore

        I strongly recommend NOT installing this upgrade. The lap recognition is not any better than in 3.4 (it still adds extra laps every now and then).

        But after installing the 3.6 my Garmin Swim will not sync anymore. Manual upload from Garmin Connect will only find old activities, but not the new one I did today. And the ANT Agent does not upload anything either. Upload to Endomondo doesn't work either. The activity displays fine on the watch.

        So I can't even tell you if the stroke recognition has improved, because I CAN'T GET TO THE DATA. Seriously. Stay away from this patch.

        Comment


        • #5
          Upgraded mine and auto sync still works but it rest my watch. Had to put in all my settings again and lost all my history. Good think it was already sync'd to connect.


          Will see how stroke recognition goes next week.

          Originally posted by NIETSMAS View Post
          nice, thanks for your hard work

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CALVIN935 View Post
            I strongly recommend NOT installing this upgrade. The lap recognition is not any better than in 3.4 (it still adds extra laps every now and then).

            But after installing the 3.6 my Garmin Swim will not sync anymore. Manual upload from Garmin Connect will only find old activities, but not the new one I did today. And the ANT Agent does not upload anything either. Upload to Endomondo doesn't work either. The activity displays fine on the watch.

            So I can't even tell you if the stroke recognition has improved, because I CAN'T GET TO THE DATA. Seriously. Stay away from this patch.
            It sounds like ANT Agent isn't getting the new data off the watch. To confirm, you can see the latest Activity in History, right? For others to note, this is not a typical situation after a firmware update.

            Here are some things you could try:
            1) Enable pairing with new devices in ANT Agent. To do this, right-click on the ANT icon in your system tray, select "Pair with new devices", select Enable. When ANT Agent is searching for new devices, make sure you are wearing your Garmin Swim so it isn't in LCD Sleep Mode.
            2) If that doesn't work, try exiting ANT Agent and then re-opening it through the Start Menu.
            3) If that doesn't work, I would exit ANT Agent, take out the ANT stick, re-start the computer, put the stick back in, launch ANT Agent, and Enable pairing.

            If you are still stuck, please post again. A hard reset on the watch would be my next suggestion though you will lose anything stored in History.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks.
              I was looking for the release notes as well...

              Lets hope no more extra lap & better breaststroke identification

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SPSYMES View Post
                Upgraded mine and auto sync still works but it rest my watch. Had to put in all my settings again and lost all my history. Good think it was already sync'd to connect.


                Will see how stroke recognition goes next week.
                Yes, confirm that it reset my watch as well. All previous swim and history data gone and had to re-input my personal data/preferences.

                Can't say I'm too happy at that especially as Garmin isn't a one man band company.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hi, I'm sorry to report that for the first time, after installing 3.6 software, my Garmin swim has failed to recognise twice my strokes. It has happened while swimming quite fast in freestyle, mistaking it for backstroke? Here's the link:
                  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/318844070
                  Just wanted to report it to the development team to let them know.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ag_swims View Post
                    It sounds like ANT Agent isn't getting the new data off the watch. To confirm, you can see the latest Activity in History, right? For others to note, this is not a typical situation after a firmware update.

                    Here are some things you could try:
                    Thanks, I got it syncing again! Strangely it did download and update the firmware again, even though the version number stayed the same. Maybe something didn't go correctly the first time I upgraded?


                    On the positive side:

                    - Stroke recoginition seems to work great for me now. I only do freestyle and breaststroke, but those two have been identified 100% correctly.

                    On the negative side:

                    - the unit still adds an extra lap every now and then. And this was in an empty lane, so no overtaking people or stopping mid-lane
                    - firmware update should work the first time
                    - so far no response from Garmin support

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm having the same trouble with the watch resetting itself after its uploaded the activity to Garmin Connect.

                      One of the reasons I chose the Garmin Swim over other watches was that I could use it as a watch as well - kinda defeats the object when you have to reset the time every time you upload your activity!

                      Some acknowledgement from Tech Support and an estimated fix would be good?

                      Thanks

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SANGSTER1 View Post
                        One of the reasons I chose the Garmin Swim over other watches was that I could use it as a watch as well - kinda defeats the object when you have to reset the time every time you upload your activity!
                        Agreed! So, sorry to make you repeat yourself, but I want to make sure I'm clear on what is happening. It is expected that when you update the firmware on the watch, you will lose History, Settings, and have to go through the Start-Up Wizard to set the time again. It is NOT expected that you have to set the time when you download a swim from History to Garmin Connect. It sounds like the latter is occurring in your case. To confirm, can you try the following:

                        1) Go Menu > System > About and confirm that the top line says ARV3.600. (This means you have the latest software.)
                        2) Go to swim mode, start a session, let the timer run for 10-20 seconds (or go for an air swim!), stop, and save your session.
                        3) Download the 10-second session to GC.
                        4) Check if the time is correct/report back with what you see.

                        Thanks!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          "Improved transition from rest to active swimming"

                          Do we have to press the pause button when we rest? I press it each time I stop and when I start again.

                          I only swim freestyle and I think my watch have been working flawlessly, didn't update yet.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BLUEISO View Post
                            "Improved transition from rest to active swimming"

                            Do we have to press the pause button when we rest? I press it each time I stop and when I start again.

                            I only swim freestyle and I think my watch have been working flawlessly, didn't update yet.
                            Yes, you still need to press Pause when you begin your rest and when you resume swimming.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hi, a question:

                              Within SWIMMING menu there are two options that I can not understand:

                              1) SWIMMING / Alert Tones - is it for? how it works? - (Interestingly, the alarm would sound to reach x meters and the user can define the variable x.) but I'm afraid that's not it, right?

                              2) SWIMMING / Stroke Type - Automatic is obvious, but "Turn off" that leaves the default style? Freestyle?

                              thank you very much
                              Last edited by xbonany; 05-30-2013, 05:32 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X