How to get Calorie count on FR60?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get Calorie count on FR60?

I can't seem to get my FR60 to give me a calorie count... I entered all appropriate settings: age, weight, etc. My workouts are recorded, and I get the time and heart rate statistics. However, the calorie count shows 0. I don't get it. Any ideas? I do admit that I haven't used the foot pod, since most of my workouts are aerobics sessions. I just want to see how many calories I've burned... it was the main reason I bought the watch. Frustration!! HELP!!

If you don't have the footpod, you will not get caloric data.
    Phil M.
    myConnect | StravaHeatmap | Instagram
    F201 F205 F305 FR50 310XT 920XT
    nĂ¼vi 67LMT

Comment

I believe it can also use the New Leaf profile without the footpod to do HRM-based caloric computation.
      - Steve

my GC digest

Comment

Wow. This is pretty slimy of Garmin. To quote their web site:

"Log every mile and every minute with FR60, a sleek fitness watch plus workout tool that tracks your time, heart rate and calories burned. When bundled with the wireless foot pod, FR60 also tracks speed and distance, indoors or out."

A normal English-speaker would read that as

- FR60 tracks time, heart rate, and calories
        - FR60+footpod also tracks speed and distance

In other words, you don't need the footpod for calories. (And there is certainly not a hint of a requirement to pay extra for the NewLeaf service.) At a minimum, OP should be entitled to a full refund.

Stephen

Comment

New firmware includes calorie calculation based on heart rate, at least that's what the release notes say.

Comment

Originally posted by SATHOMASGA View Post
            New firmware includes calorie calculation based on heart rate, at least that's what the release notes say.
            Very interesting! I'll have to play with that.

April
            http://www.enduranceriderblog.com

Comment

It has calculated mine without the foodpod sensor, But I'm still working out the bugs and getting used to run and cycle with it. I ran the other day almost a mile before I noticed it wasn't tracking my time. Doff....

I Just invested in a CatEye Cadience/Speed Double Wireless computer and don't intend to add the GSC 10 to my bike at the moment. Too bad it won't receive the data packets.

Calories should be displayed when you upload your data to Garmin Connect. Or you need to configure the display to show the calories burned on one of the 5 display screens during your workout.

If you go to Activities/History/(Whatever Your Last Workout was)/Enter on your FR60 You can scroll throgh your workout details and get calories there too.

Comment

Does anyone have any info about the new firmware version using a heart rate calorie calculation? Is the the same calculation the new 405 uses? This upgrade just seemed to sneak in there. If so, kudos to Garmin for adding this to the FR60.

Comment

Originally posted by GARYART1 View Post
                  Does anyone have any info about the new firmware version using a heart rate calorie calculation? Is the the same calculation the new 405 uses?
                  I'd like to be proven wrong, but I doubt it. The Firstbeat technology requires measuring R-R intervals, which is why the 405CX is different from the 405. (It may also be the case that it's easier for Garmin to deal with the licensing issues when the Firstbeat stuff is confined to a specific product.) If the FR60 is capable of measuring R-R intervals, it seems unlikely that Garmin wouldn't be touting that feature in the marketing collateral.

Stephen

Comment

This really needs to be cleared up. The manual clearly states that the foot pod is required for the calculation of calories. However, the release notes also clearly state they have added calorie counting from heart rate.

Can someone please confirm that calories are counted on the FR60 when neither the foot bod or the speed/cadence sensor are present?

Thanks,

Mark

Comment

New firmware does calculate calories

I got on the site to make sure of this and I noticed the new firmware update 2.4 I believe.

This works great for those of us who opted for no foot pod/cadence sensor.

My info is now updating properly with calories and it is awesome!

Go get the firmware and start calculating!

Comment

Originally posted by MPKAYE View Post
                        This really needs to be cleared up. The manual clearly states that the foot pod is required for the calculation of calories. However, the release notes also clearly state they have added calorie counting from heart rate.

Can someone please confirm that calories are counted on the FR60 when neither the foot bod or the speed/cadence sensor are present?

Thanks,

Mark
                        I can confirm that calories are estimated on the FR60 when neither the foot pod nor the speed/cadence sensor is present. I have used the FR60 on spinning workouts and it does report calories. Note that this functionality does require the firmware upgrade.

Stephen

Comment

Excellent guys, thank you. That has given me sufficient info to go ahead and add an FR60 to my stable of Garmin devices (FR405 and Edge 705)

Comment

New firmware together with foot pod/cadence sensor

What happens if you use the new firmware and a foot pod or cadence sensor? Looking at the data from my 75km ride today, I get the impression that calories were estimated using speed and distance measured using the cadence sensor, and the figure is thus >50% too high.

If this is so, then Garmin has erred yet again in its software engineering. The algorithm that estimates calories from speed and distance data is entirely useless, and should not be used when a heart-rate-based algorithm is available.

This was my first use of my new FR60. Someone please tell me that I'm wrong about the calorie calculation when using the device with a cycle cadence sensor.
                            Francis Sedgemore
                            http://sedgemore.com

Comment

Calorie calculations and new firmware

Perhaps I can answer my own question.

When it comes to the cadence sensor, at least, I can verify that when this is active, the FR60 estimates calories from distance and speed, and does not use the new heart-rate algorithm contained in the 2.40 firmware. Otherwise, the calorie counter counter would continue to tick over from minute to minute while I'm completely stationary. It doesn't.

Given that I value having accurate estimates of energy expenditure, the cadence sensor and footpod are for me of no practical use.
                              Francis Sedgemore
                              http://sedgemore.com

Comment

Working...
                              X