Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any idea when we will see the next sw update?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any idea when we will see the next sw update?

I am hoping to see a fix for:
    1. Instant pace
    2. Course draw time

Best guess is when Garmin feel like it! They've been a bit dilatory lately with fixes needed for ANT Agent, Mac and Windows, Garmin Training Centre Mac and Windows, 910XT with a number of issues that need addressing, 310XT which still has issues from the last update.

Overall it's been a long time between updates and they seem to have dropped the ball. They are very unlikely to contribute to this post.

Comment

Originally posted by PHILIPSHAMBROOK View Post
      They are very unlikely to contribute to this post.
      Unless of course we start having fun at someone else's (too dumb to realise anyway) expense, in which case they will lock the thread

Comment

Originally posted by MADEUPNAME View Post
        Unless of course we start having fun at someone else's (too dumb to realise anyway) expense, in which case they will lock the thread
        Hee, hee! ROFLMAO

Comment

Well I hope the update comes soon. The only thing keeping me from returning this thing is the assumption that Garmin will make things right, soon.

Comment

I was hoping to run Boston with the 910, but I don't trust it. I'll keep using my 310--which is still an AMAZING watch. I contacted Garmin about the instant pacing issue and they assured me that they are working on it, so I guess blind faith is all we have with this issue--trusting that Garmin will make this watch 100%, not 90...

Comment

Passedpast - I think 90% is too generous. Can't use it riding or rely on it for running. Makes this simply a good swim watch. Suggest 30-40%!

Doubt we will see any pro's using this watch for a while!

Comment

If Garmin is reading this, I really hope they make an effort to push an update THIS WEEK before Boston. It will be pretty shitty of them to hold back on a firmware to fine tune some swimming features while the runners are stuck with a watch with some pretty significant issues.

Comment

Originally posted by ZEROZED View Post
                  If Garmin is reading this, I really hope they make an effort to push an update THIS WEEK before Boston. It will be pretty shitty of them to hold back on a firmware to fine tune some swimming features while the runners are stuck with a watch with some pretty significant issues.
                  Hope never dies.

We are running behind the "Course disappearing" issue on Edge 500, 310Xt (which exists for the 910 as well) for more then 1,5 years.
                  Garmin know it, Garmin knows when the bug appears, Garmin knows why the bug appears. So it should be quite simple to fix it. Still .......

Comment

On the 910 its not that the course is disappearing, its simply taking too long to redraw as you advance. There is a difference and i am not sure what the 310 is doing (i dont have one) but the 910 is very slow to redraw. 30 seconds compared to the 305 that draws the same course in 1 or 2 seconds

Comment

It is even worse than just 30 seconds if you are riding bike fast. Mine would say redrawing for three to five minutes until I stopped moving.

Comment

Thats ridiculous, did the engineers that worked on the 305 quit? This is shameful. Someone completely missed the boat with this product launch. The only thing saving garmin is the lack of alternatives. I have a feeling that within a year or two i will be using my phone with a sports app to replace the garmin.

Comment

Originally posted by AVIKOREN1 View Post
                          Thats ridiculous, did the engineers that worked on the 305 quit? This is shameful. Someone completely missed the boat with this product launch. The only thing saving garmin is the lack of alternatives. I have a feeling that within a year or two i will be using my phone with a sports app to replace the garmin.
                          I hate to say it, but Morotola's MotoActv looks pretty interesting. I had a chance to play with one at a race recently and was much more impressed than I thought I'd be. I'm not suggesting that the current generation of the device is an alternative to the 910XT, but it sure looks like Motorola is sinking money (and constant firmware updates) into the device. I bet that the next generation will be a real game-changer.

This is the real risk Garmin is running by:
                          A) Not communicating with customers via forums
                          B) Slipping products for months without updating customers what's going on
                          C) Failing to innovate
                          D) Failing to rapidly fix problems via firmware updates

Don't get me wrong; I've used Forerunners since the first generation, and I really hope Garmin get's things straight. But at this point I find myself almost hoping Garmin spins off the Forerunner division as a standalone company or something because it is obviously not a priority.

Comment

Originally posted by AVIKOREN1 View Post
                            I agree that Garmin is succeeding because of a lack of competition.
                            I don't think a phone will ever be a replacement for a watch because:

1. You have to hold the phone during the run, very uncomfortable and obviously not suitable for a triathlon.
                            2. If you are an endurance athlete, the phone's battery is insufficient.
                            3. The phone costs much more and is more fragile

Functionality-Wise the iPhone 4s (for example) can do so much more than what 910xt can do, so that's not the reason to get a watch, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by HESHER View Post
                              ...I agree that Garmin is succeeding because of a lack of competition...
                              There is competition - Timex, Polar, Suunto, Bryton and one or 2 others.

We who purchase Garmins choose them because we believe them to be the best for what we need. Others who make different choices have clearly decided otherwise.

Just like we could if we chose to do so.

Comment

Working...
                              X