No announcement yet.

920XT Wrist band broken

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 920XT Wrist band broken

My wrist band broke today while I was standing with my left arm just hanging down - no physical stress on the watch. Upon inspection, I realized that the band had become brittle and many cracks were visible if I flexed the band backwards. I bought my 920XT when it first came out, and it's a little over two years old now. If you own one, it might be a good idea to check the band every once in a while. I'm glad that it didn't break while riding or swimming in the ocean!
    Attached Files

Interesting - and not good as it is not very apparent from the top surface of the strap.

Would be interested in how it has been used/worn just to understand what may have been the main contributing factors

Worn permanently or just for sport
    Run/swim or bike frequency
    Use in chlorinated pools?
    Exposure to UV light
    How tight do you wear strap - mine is loose enough so that I can turn the watch face to the inside of my wrist with a little effort whereas my wife wears hers tight to her wrist

Comment

Originally posted by peepee13_ View Post
      My wrist band broke today while I was standing with my left arm just hanging down - no physical stress on the watch. Upon inspection, I realized that the band had become brittle and many cracks were visible if I flexed the band backwards. I bought my 920XT when it first came out, and it's a little over two years old now. If you own one, it might be a good idea to check the band every once in a while. I'm glad that it didn't break while riding or swimming in the ocean!
      I replaced mine this week after checking it two weeks ago. I found some cracks and before breaking I bought a spare strap in Amazon. My 920 is 1.5 years old and since then I use it permanently, not on ly for sport activities. I usually wear the strap quite tight, so maybe that is one of the reasons for the early problems with it.
      Blog - https://janderthings.blogspot.com
      Twitter - @jandercito
      Garmin Connect
      Strava

Comment

OK - I can see I'll have to keep a close eye on it

Comment

When I see all the links molded in everyone is a crack point compared to the F3 solid band
          Magellan Pioneer, Garmin 72H ,Lowrance 3500C, Standard Horizon HX851,Polar RCX5, Fenix 3 ,Returned Ambit 3 peak , Returned 920XT

Comment

My strap broke just before Christmas on a watch that was 1 year old. I ordered a new one direct from Garmin as they were the cheapest at the time and I needed it quite quickly.

Over my life on multiple watches I've never seemed to have these straps last more than about a year.

Comment

I have had my Forerunner 610 for 4 years with the same band - not worn all the time only for running but no sign of the band deteriorating. Also I wear my watch loose so the band is not under much stress.

Comment

What is that watch face you are running?

Comment

Looks like the actiface

Comment

I got mine replaced by Garmin a week ago after 10 months of use. You should probably check the band every now and then in order to be sure. It will be very unpleasant if the band brakes during the swim leg of a race...

I am wearing the watch 24x7 and have it loose on my wrist.
                    Last edited by PSAMPA; 01-31-2016, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Poor quality

I had to replace my wrist strap after 1.5 years
                      I had several watches before (polar & suunto) and never had to replace strap after more than 5 years of use
                      Now it seems I will have to buy a new 20$ strap every 1.5 years...
                      Disappointed

Comment

Exactly. My wrist band needed to be replaced after 1,5 of use. Free of charge, by Garmin, under warranty.

Comment

Mine went after 1½ years. The seller didn't want to put it on warranty though.

Comment

Omg

Thank you for the thread!

I've checked my wristband after reading this thread. My 920XT is 1 1/2 years old and I have the same problem.

That's not ok Garmin! :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Grendelino View Post
                              Mine went after 1½ years. The seller didn't want to put it on warranty though.
                              I have contacted Garmin directly. They sent me new replacement strap directly from their UK warehouse. According to information I got, it has new, 24m warranty.

Comment

Working...
                              X