New leaf profile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New leaf profile

I tried contacting a couple gyms (referred by the new leaf website) for an assessment but they all require you to become a member first. (Equinox, etc...)

Have anyone done the New Leaf assessment and able to upload the profile to the 310xt? If so, do you recommend it?

I'm located in Orange County, CA and would love to find a place that offers this service.
    Thanks in advance,
    positiv

I had this done last year and LOVE it. I really need to get retested, but haven't had the time this year.

Anyway, my gym does make people join to get the test or pay extra (I think it was an extra $50 if you weren't a member). Fortunately for me, my company pays my membership as a benefit, so I just had to pay for the test.

I did the treadmill test. After I got done, the trainer sat down with me and went over my results and a custom 12 week training plan designed to help train more efficiently.

My trainer didn't know about the file to load into my Garmin unit, but she contacted New Leaf and got it for me.

I like it a lot better because the data is based on ME. Not some random, average person. I think it's best to get retested every so often. But once you've done the test once, it should be cheaper the next time since you'll already have the mask used.

April
    http://www.enduranceriderblog.com

Comment

I'm curious about the New Leaf test. What exactly does it measure? How does it go beyond a standard VO2 or LT test? I looked at their website, but I couldn't find too much in the way about detailed information.

Comment

Check this out:

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/20...2-testing.html

April
        http://www.enduranceriderblog.com

Comment

Thanks for the link to the blog, but it sounds like a regular VO2 test. It doesn't really talk about the New Leaf profile.

What is different about the New Leaf profile? Can I use the results of my regular VO2 test?

I believe you did the New Leaf test. What kind of numbers did they give you, and what did you input into the Garmin?

I did try to get this information from the Garmin website, but that page is quite outdated, including the links to MB.

Thanks.

Comment

From messages from exercise physiologist Andrew Coggan and others on the wattage list, I've been led to believe that the New Leaf metabolic profile does not have a good reputation for accuracy or more importantly repeatability. I recognize this is an argument from authority, but one I personally find credible.

If you're going to spend money on a metabolic workup, you might want to consider going to one of the sports physiology labs with, for lack of a better word, more "professional" equipment. When I investigated this a few years back, the price was in the same range as the health clubs and trainers that offered New Leaf workups.

Unfortunately, you probably won't be able to take direct advantage of the workup with your Garmin. They could have made it so that you could enter data from a workup from any source, but instead tied it to New Leaf. It's a business partnership, not a feature.

Comment

Originally posted by JCONKLIN View Post
              If you're going to spend money on a metabolic workup, you might want to consider going to one of the sports physiology labs with, for lack of a better word, more "professional" equipment. When I investigated this a few years back, the price was in the same range as the health clubs and trainers that offered New Leaf workups.

Unfortunately, you probably won't be able to take direct advantage of the workup with your Garmin. They could have made it so that you could enter data from a workup from any source, but instead tied it to New Leaf. It's a business partnership, not a feature.
              Yes, this is exactly what I was getting at. My coach does the standard tests in her facility, and although they are basic, they are still very useful since they are professionally done. Plus, I understand what the numbers mean.

I might be more interested in the New Leaf if I could find out more about it. What does it do that's different from the standard tests, and what parameters do you program back into the device? I have a couple of ideas, but would like to find out more about it rather than guessing.

Comment

For those who have done the test and have the profile.
                Would it be possible to 'edit' the profile file with some software and upload it to the garmin watch? That would be great because I could do the test anywhere and didn't have to be New Leaf only...(I still can't find a place that will do the test here in Orange County for gym non-members)
                I'm a member of 24-hour gym and they don't do New Leaf....

Comment

Given that Garmin ships its products worldwide it seems a shame that New Leaf is only available in the USA. It would be useful if they opened this up a little to allow for direct input of the necessary info from other sources.

Comment

Can anyone who has the profile post a link to it or send me by email?
                    I would like to see if there is a way to edit it to with my own settings.
                    Thanks!
                    positiv

Comment

I believe that information is copyrighted, resulting in a violation of the agreement if the file is copied/transferred to another party. Not to say you wouldn't be able to find one somewhere, but no one should be sending that information through this forum.
                      - Steve

my GC digest

Comment

I just bought the 305 and really like all of the features but I'm concerned that there is "no simple" heart rate-calories burned fuction for indoor use when the GPS is turned off?! Am I to understand correctly that Garmin has chosen to feature this function only by using a "partnership" with "New Leaf", forcing them to get a detailed physical evaluation?

Comment

The new leaf web site says it is only compatible with the 305 and 405. Does anybody know if it is compatible with the 310? Also, could someone with experience with this give feed back on how they like it?

Comment

I've had the New Leaf profile done twice and am not happy with the data. For one thing I could not believe that in six weeks I had moved my anaerobic threshold from 138 to 153. Plus, they tried to tell me that my max heart rate had moved from 165 to 183. It isn't possible to raise one's max heart rate. They told me that the max heart rate came from a calculation instead of a measurement, because their test doesn't go far enough to measure a max heart rate. I was actually shocked that they didn't know that one's max heart rate couldn't be raised.

In researching such tests I find that one should ask for the calibration report on the equipment. The oxygen sensor has to be calibrated since they can drift quite a bit, and if it is off then all the data is going to be off.

I've given up using their testing services.

Comment

Does anybody know if it is compatible with the 310?
                              Can't help with feedback as I havent used NL profiles, but they are compatible with the 310.
                              Anthony

My GC Digest

Comment

Working...
                              X