Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strongly Suggest Garmin Watches to display Chinese (& more languages)!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strongly Suggest Garmin Watches to display Chinese (& more languages)!

I'm very satisfied with my Garmin forerunner 235 except that it cannot display Chinese. Most of my phone notification is in Chinese, this basically makes notification push function not useful at all. If I go purchase a Garmin in China and use it elsewhere, I heard that GPS location would be slow, and the distance track would off a little bit, because the shape of the earth preloaded to the watch based on US/Europe/Asia. There are more and more international communications and it is stupid to limit a device with language display. Chinese, Japanese, Korean, would be nice language package to have and they don't take up that much space!!

I have already submitted this as "an idea" to Garmin. Chinese version firmware is different from the US firmware, so update to a Chinese firmware is difficult. Anyone has any other idea how to overcome this? I'd really appreciate it!

Originally posted by soslucysos View Post
    I'm very satisfied with my Garmin forerunner 235 except that it cannot display Chinese.
    Maybe your FR235 cannot, but that does not mean other FR235 units (or more generally Garmin watches) cannot either.

Most of my phone notification is in Chinese, this basically makes notification push function not useful at all.
    Product image from Garmin's web site:

If I go purchase a Garmin in China and use it elsewhere, I heard that GPS location would be slow, and the distance track would off a little bit,
    Heard from whom/where?

because the shape of the earth preloaded to the watch based on US/Europe/Asia.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that.

There are more and more international communications and it is stupid to limit a device with language display.
    That is not stupid at all, as a design decision, if market differentiation of products make their manufacturers more money. The fool is the consumer who buys a model or version that does not suit his/her requirements.

Chinese, Japanese, Korean, would be nice language package to have and they don't take up that much space!!
    How did you come to that conclusion?

As a proportion of the available memory on a Garmin FR235, that is probably substantial.
    https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...286#post916286

I have already submitted this as "an idea" to Garmin.
    Good on you.

Chinese version firmware is different from the US firmware, so update to a Chinese firmware is difficult.
    I don't think it's meant to allow users to mix and match firmware and device versions willy-nilly as they please. Oh, and then GPS may not work so well because of the shape of the globe…

Anyone has any other idea how to overcome this?
    Buy one of the Chinese versions of the FR235, if being able to use Chinese on the device is a core requirement. (It'll also have English as a pre-installed language.) Choose carefully between one that supports traditional Chinese and one that supports simplified Chinese!

(The Garmin FR235 I bought in Australia supports English, Spanish, French, Croatian, Italian, Hungarian, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, … and a few more languages out of the box.)

Comment

Maybe your FR235 cannot, but that does not mean other FR235 units (or more generally Garmin watches) cannot either.
      Product image from Garmin's web site:

>>> I know Garmin has Chinese versions, but they only sell them in China. I called Garmin US customer service and they explicitly say they only carry the US version, which is reasonable.

If I go purchase a Garmin in China and use it elsewhere, I heard that GPS location would be slow, and the distance track would off a little bit, because the shape of the earth preloaded to the watch based on US/Europe/Asia.
      Heard from whom/where?

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

>>> I found some complaints here: https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/di...erunner-abroad
      It does not mean that the GPS will not work, it works, but may be slow to get a signal at first as some people experienced it in some places, and the distance calculated from that might be slightly inaccurate. Since I don't have this experience, I can only search for answers people post online.

That is not stupid at all, as a design decision, if market differentiation of products make their manufacturers more money. The fool is the consumer who buys a model or version that does not suit his/her requirements.

>>> I understand it is a market decision, and I am willing to pay more money for the Chinese language version, but they don't have this option here in the United States. Plus they don't really make that clear in their official website. Given that it supports phone notification, I assumed it can show whatever the phone shows. I'm not an software engineer, so I'm not immediately aware that this would require extra language package installed on the watch itself.

Chinese, Japanese, Korean, would be nice language package to have and they don't take up that much space!!
      How did you come to that conclusion?

As a proportion of the available memory on a Garmin FR235, that is probably substantial.
      https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...286#post916286
      Thank you for clearing this up, that might be the main reason for Garmin's decision to not have Chinese on the US version. But still, it would be nice to have the Chinese version sold in the States, if not on platforms like Bestbuy or Amazon, at least from their official website. I'm not the only person who complained about this. People using other Garmin watches, including more advanced / expensive models want that feature as well.

https://forums.garmin.com/archive/in.../t-226440.html

Buy one of the Chinese versions of the FR235, if being able to use Chinese on the device is a core requirement. (It'll also have English as a pre-installed language.) Choose carefully between one that supports traditional Chinese and one that supports simplified Chinese!
      Thanks for the reminder of the simplified vs traditional Chinese version difference. It would be more trouble since I need to figure out how to get it from China. Amazon, Bestbuy, ebay, etc. does not carry that. And if it broke in anyway the US Garmin wouldn't be able to fix it, according to their customer service.

(The Garmin FR235 I bought in Australia supports English, Spanish, French, Croatian, Italian, Hungarian, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, … and a few more languages out of the box.)
      Good for you, I'm sure this is enough for many Garmin users. But it would be nice for Garmin to consider the needs of the rest customers. I believe if more and more people needs this feature, which I hope is the case, the asian language version could be sold worldwide.

Comment

I'm sure this is enough for many Garmin users. But it would be nice for Garmin to consider the needs of the rest customers.
        You did ask for “more languages” in the title of your suggestion, and the version of the device sold in North America (and Europe?) and Australia/NZ supports a fair few out of the box. Sorry, but Asian language compatibility can hardly be considered a core (or common) requirement in those markets.

By the way, I'm Chinese myself, and Chinese is my first language, but that doesn't mean the issue ought to be seen as unduly important commercially even from my perspective.

Comment

Not sure if you are still trying to resolve the issue. I've found the solution. I switched to Apple Watch. This issue along with other issues all disappeared. I'm very happy with my Apple Watch 3. I'm talking to my friends to switch as well. They all got Garmin because of me initially.

Comment

totally agree, and Chinese firmware usually outdated and they now even made another Chinese server, which cannot sync each other, i cannot see my friends in a different server that means group track won't work if not all friends in the same server.

It's a shame cannot even believe it's almost year 2020 and this kind of simple issue cannot be solved.

Comment

It is ridiculous to not support Chinese. Garmin please fix this!

Comment

I'm very satisfied with my Garmin forerunner 235 except that it cannot display Chinese. Most of my phone notification is in Chinese, this basically makes notification push function not useful at all. If I go purchase a Garmin in China and use it elsewhere, I heard that GPS location would be slow, and the distance track would off a little bit, because the shape of the earth preloaded to the watch based on US/Europe/Asia. There are more and more international communications and it is stupid to limit a device with language display. Chinese, Japanese, Korean, would be nice language package to have and they don't take up that much space!!

I have already submitted this as "an idea" to Garmin. Chinese version firmware is different from the US firmware, so update to a Chinese firmware is difficult. Anyone has any other idea how to overcome this? I'd really appreciate it!
                I have Fenix and Samsung S3 Frontier, and almost always use Samsung for the same issue. Let alone non-supported character/font, it doesn't display emoticons or gifs. And it misses my calls over and over again. There's a delay in sync with Bluetooth too, and it's sometimes hit or miss. My complaint is piling. It's not a smartwatch, it's just a bloated activity tracker.

I'd recommend switching over to a Smartwatch that tracks activities, i.e. Apple, Samsung, or LG watch, etc. Night and day difference. Unless you're an Olympic athlete, I don't see the need anymore. My Fenix is sitting in the closet. I saw the new offerings (Fenix 5X etc) but doesn't fix the issue.

Comment

Working...
                X