No announcement yet.

5.70 elevation improvements

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.70 elevation improvements

This was mentioned in another thread so thought it deserved its own. Anyone else seeing positive elevation improvements with 5.70. Before, somewhere around the 1 hour mark it would start to overly smooth the elevation graph. (which reduced the elevation gain number). I've been seeing this for a while and defiantly a step in the right direction. I've attached my graphs of the same exact course as an example. (5.50 vs 5.70)
    Version 5.50 Version 5.70

Yes I also think that there were slightly improvements, since 5.70.

First run
    Version Start End Pos-Elevation
    5.70 158 168 143

My 3 runs on the same (flat) track:
    5.50 32 8 13
    5.70 54 33 20
    5.70 32 32 34
    Still some differences, but the last run was great from Start-End, but Elevation seems way to much (entirely flat, except a single bridge over a street).
    The last two runs differ quite a lot. The first at 5°C, cloudy, the other 7,2°C, rain and tough wind. I´d expected that otherwise
    Devices: Forerunner 405, Vivoactive & Virb X & XE
    GitHub: Read diagnostic system via Bluetooth
    YouTube: My channel
    App: Stretch

Comment

Back to the same behavior on a bike ride tonight. After ~50-60 minutes it starts to overly smooth the elevation (which throws off the final elevation numbers)

Comment

imo, garmin seems to have reduced the sensitivity... so that over a long distance... the elevation data doesn't have such a wide variance.
        but say if u climb 5 floors, instead of it previously detecting 3 or 4...it now says 1 or 2.

Comment

For me floor climbing works as before. I mostly have just one or two floors at once, several times a day. Maybe it´s worse with more floors, as you describe.

Bad hardware design cannot be remote updated. We have to live with that. But nice to see, that it seems to be smoothed a bit and garmin still cares (a bit).

Comment

Did several runs, since my last comparison. The start elevation seems quite reliable. The end-point is quite different.
            But all in all, the aberration is a lot less!

Maybe it is favoured by the weather conditions or the hope, that this will ever get better. The FW5.70 does not say anything about an improvement.

Same track as in my first table, above:
            5.70 32 32 34
            5.70 31 20 20
            5.70 31 15 13
            Same track, but different starting-point:
            5.70 28 11 18
            5.70 28 11 27
            5.70 54 33 20
            My colleagues:
            • Forerunner 235 (7.90.0.0)
              • 41, 41, 9
            • f?nix 3 (8.90.0.0)
              • 48, 47, 10

This is a result how it "could" be

Comment

Sorry, but for me it not works. Same Precision as before 5.7
              - Running 30 min on SL - the lowering begins after 3 min from +10 till -50m. (5 runs, 5 different days, same behavior) . Yesterday 2 bike rides to the work and back - the lowering begins from 10th min. and goes to -90m on 30 min. And all the best i got a new insight - i should "Do not forget to go up the stairs" I was 10 days in Hotel in 12 Floor and goes daily 60-80 floors down and only 50-70 up to the same room. he-he.

Comment

Originally posted by HerrRiebmann View Post
                Did several runs, since my last comparison. The start elevation seems quite reliable. The end-point is quite different.
                But all in all, the aberration is a lot less!

Maybe it is favoured by the weather conditions or the hope, that this will ever get better. The FW5.70 does not say anything about an improvement.

Same track as in my first table, above:
                5.70 32 32 34
                5.70 31 20 20
                5.70 31 15 13
                Same track, but different starting-point:
                5.70 28 11 18
                5.70 28 11 27
                5.70 54 33 20
                My colleagues:
                • Forerunner 235 (7.90.0.0)
                  • 41, 41, 9
                • f?nix 3 (8.90.0.0)
                  • 48, 47, 10

This is a result how it "could" be
                So my last 2 rides have better elevation recording and no smoothing after 50-60 minutes. Also the elevation gain numbers seem pretty accurate. (compared to elevation correction). They still ended lower though (as much as 100ft) and like you the starting elevation seems accurate but ending is always much lower. In any case this is good progress to me!

Comment

So this improvement seems to be a permanent fix. No more elevation smoothing. One thing is strange and seems others are seeing the same thing. The ending elevation is typically around 90-100 feet lower then the starting elevation for me at the same starting point. Yet there is only a 4ft difference in the ascent and descent numbers recorded for the activity. Shouldn't I see the 100 foot discrepancy there? (Not just the chart).

Comment

QUOTE=kgarten;n1449454]The ending elevation is typically around 90-100 feet lower then the starting elevation for me at the same starting point. Yet there is only a 4ft difference in the ascent and descent numbers recorded for the activity. Shouldn't I see the 100 foot discrepancy there?[/QUOTE]

This is actually normal, though many are confused about the reading. The altimeter is working correctly by displaying the correct elevation gained or lost. The reason for the 100' discrepancy in elevation is because the barometer detected an increase of pressure from actual pressure/temperature change of roughly .10 inHg from start to finish. .05 inHg is roughly 50' in elevation change.

Comment

Working...
                    X