Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does "elapsed time" actually mean?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does "elapsed time" actually mean?

I thought it was self-evident but I have noticed recently that at least for some tracks, "elapsed time" is well short of "end time" - "start time". Auto-pause is turned on, which affects "time" as expected but the activity is never stopped.

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhe...C49DBB821.html
    Elapsed Time
    The total time recorded. For example, if you start the timer and run for 10 minutes, then stop the timer for 5 minutes, then start the timer and run for 20 minutes, your elapsed time is 35 minutes.
    The issue with having to repeatedly log in to vBulletin from one forum action to the next seems to have been partially remedied, but problems persist with changes to User Settings not being properly committed upon saving, and with page encoding such that em dashes, en dashes, left and right quotation marks, accented vowels, etc. are not rendered correctly in the browser.

Comment

Originally posted by ASmugDill View Post
      http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhe...C49DBB821.html
      Elapsed Time
      The total time recorded. For example, if you start the timer and run for 10 minutes, then stop the timer for 5 minutes, then start the timer and run for 20 minutes, your elapsed time is 35 minutes.
      What you describe is exactly "end time" - "start time". This is not happening, which means either the document quoted is wrong or Garmin Connect is computing incorrectly. I have an activity from Friday night that began at 9:01pm and ended a few minutes after midnight. Garmin Connect thinks elapsed time is 2:21:21. This is not the first time this has happened either. I wonder if there is a bug when computing elapsed time for events that cross midnight. I see incorrect results every one of these events I have going back as far as September. However, today's activity, which did not cross midnight, looks about right.

Strava thinks the elapsed time for Friday's activity is 3:09:34. Strava's estimate for today's activity is within a minute of Garmin Connect's.
      Last edited by subhacker; 12-03-2017, 09:06 PM. Reason: Additional info from Strava.

Comment

Working...
      X