CSV Import

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSV Import

Hi

I know I am not the first to raise this as I have already searched the forums and looked at a number of posts concerning this issue. I have eight years of data from MapMyRun (account is now closed and deleted) exported as a CSV file - it doesn't contain any mapping data so conversion to tcx or gpx is not required. I'm not exactly a rookie when it comes to IT and I know that data import is a notoriously tricky issue and I also don't entirely blame Garmin for the fact that I cannot get it to work so far.

What I have done is created some workouts in Garmin Connect (GC) and then exported these as a CSV file - this provides me with a base template to work with, because usually for a CSV import to work, the column headings, field formatting and data has to match. I have then copied all my data from the MMR file into the relevant columns in the GC export and I have defaulted all the fields I don't want to zero (or 00:00) as the case may be. I have also ensured categories of workouts have been edited to match with those available in Garmin Connect.

The only problem is the date field, as the GC field format is a custom format of DD/MM/YYYY HH:MM:SS and I know I have duplicates as I have dates for my workouts but no start times (thanks MMR - top work there). To get round this I ensured the top four values only were unique rows and used this as a test file.

However, even after all this I am still receiving the error message:

An error occurred with your upload. Please try again.

I have also tried using date only in the import field (i.e. deleting the time stamp) but this also returns the same error. I can't really think of anything else to try - as I said I don't expect this to work by magic but I had rather hoped that by using CG to create a base CSV template and manually mapping my data to that it might have stood a chance.

Has anybody else managed to crack this? All pointers gratefully received.

Regards and thanks in anticipation

Andy
    Last edited by Andrewball01; 03-10-2019, 01:27 AM.

I had one additional thought - to create a CSV import file directly from the output file that was created by Garmin Connect - I used just one line of data and only changed the Workout Title - no other fields were edited. This also failed to import with an identical error, unfortunately that leads me to conclude - as have others - that the CSV import facility is simply not functional at this time as there is no reason why this test should not pass easily.

Comment

Andrewball01, as far as I remember importing data for a date already present in GC does not work

try and change also the date before importing the adapted csv ?

oops, how do you export to csv ?
      all I can do in GCW is export splits to csv ?
      Last edited by OnlyTwo; 03-10-2019, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlyTwo View Post
        Andrewball01, as far as I remember importing data for a date already present in GC does not work

try and change also the date before importing the adapted csv ?

oops, how do you export to csv ?
        all I can do in GCW is export splits to csv ?
        Good suggestion thanks - however using a unique date still generates the same error. To import data - there's a small cloud symbol top right with an up arrow in it called 'upload or import activity' when you hover over it. Click that and you get a browse or drag and drop option to upload a file. To export data under the activities tab there's an option top right called Export CSV that drops all your activities to data into a csv file that saves in your default download location.

Comment

aha, I see

To export data under the activities tab there's an option top right called Export CSV that drops all your activities to data into a csv file that saves in your default download location.
          this csv is not the right one to import with the cloud thingy
          this csv only contains a summary and has the wrong layout for import as far as I know

Comment

The CSV import is for fitbit data not Garmin activitiy data exported in csv format.

Comment

Originally posted by TrippyZ View Post
              The CSV import is for fitbit data not Garmin activitiy data exported in csv format.
              Yeah, seems that way but it should be badged as a Fitbit proprietary format if that''s the case. CSV is a global standard so any CSV file should work, provided the structure matches the import spec - so come on Garmin, publish the schema for the input specification. There is no reason not to.

Comment

Create a fitbit login. Add a manual activity. Export data from here https://www.fitbit.com/settings/data/export. The format is underwhelming.

Comment

Working...
                X