No announcement yet.

Multiple Bikes

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Bikes

I have 3 bikes and have a profile for each in my Edge 1000. This works fine however when I import the data to Connect it all goes into my one bike. In other words it doesn't put the data into the gear (bike) I have set up for each bike. I have to remember which ride was on which bike and change the gear for that ride. Why doesn't Connect do this automatically? My Edge knows which profile (bike) the ride was on so Connect should know also.

Is there a way to set this up so the data goes into the correct gear in Connect without me doing it manually?

Roy

Great idea, you'd think it would have been done wouldn't you?

Comment

No Responses??

yes one would think this would be built into Connect, however this POS software never ceases to amaze me as to how hard it is to use and how lacking it is in features. The most frustrating software I have used in many years, manufactures just don't put out junk like this these days

Very surprised there have been no answers to my post, guess it's not something Connect can do?

Comment

Originally posted by Roypw View Post
        yes one would think this would be built into Connect, however this POS software never ceases to amaze me as to how hard it is to use and how lacking it is in features. The most frustrating software I have used in many years, manufactures just don't put out junk like this these days

Very surprised there have been no answers to my post, guess it's not something Connect can do?
        I'm just as surprised that this is supposedly a user only forum, you'd think it'd be in Garmin's interests to have a dedicated social media type role.
        If you want to send someone from Garmin a message my understanding is you need to talk to support, not use this forum. Having said that, don't hold your breath.
        Garmin Beta Tester*

*Customer

Comment

I bet Garmin monitor the forum for common issues, whether they choose to engage or act upon them is a different matter. If it were my company I would definitely have somebody monitoring it.

Having spoken with Garmin support myself, they really do need to up their game in this area. (I've also had some excellent service from Garmin support as well).

Comment

No Response

I can try Garmin support but thought it best to ask actual users here on this forum first. Usually if it can be done someone would know and respond, where support usually has to search their data base for the answer.

As I said I am surprised no one has responded with at least a comment like Connect doesn't do this, or that they have contacted support about it etc! I would think most Edge 1000 users have multiple bikes and track them in Connect so surely this has come up already?

Comment

On the GC webpages, can't you just go to the full page for gear, select "bike" and then "add gear"?

It works for shoes... I don't have a bike, but it should work the same way.

As far as assigning gear, in the activity tile, click on the "shoe" icon" and assign the proper gear. If you don't it may just use what you selected as the default.
              Last edited by jim_m_58; 07-23-2015, 04:01 PM.
              My Connect IQ Apps in the Store
              Facebook - Instagram -
              Twitter

Comment

Thanks Jim_m, but I am not sure I follow all you said! First I have added gear - I have each of my 3 bikes set up as separate gear. I think that is what you told me to do in your first two sentences, right?

As far as assigning gear I of course don't have a shoe icon but a bike icon but it is not clickable? I click on gear and assign the proper bike BUT I have to do this for each ride, I want it to do it automatically. My edge knows what bike the ride was on why doesn't Connect pick it up and assign the ride to the proper bike?

Possibly I did not understand your directions and do it right? Let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Roypw View Post
                  Thanks Jim_m, but I am not sure I follow all you said! First I have added gear - I have each of my 3 bikes set up as separate gear. I think that is what you told me to do in your first two sentences, right?

As far as assigning gear I of course don't have a shoe icon but a bike icon but it is not clickable? I click on gear and assign the proper bike BUT I have to do this for each ride, I want it to do it automatically. My edge knows what bike the ride was on why doesn't Connect pick it up and assign the ride to the proper bike?

Possibly I did not understand your directions and do it right? Let me know.
                  When setting up or editing gear, you can have a specific bike, etc, assigned to activites (by type) I keep this turned off for everything, and then pick which one to use (in my case, shoes). If you have auto assign on one bike, it could be why you can't click on the icon. This also could be (I'm simply guessing here) why the gear on the edge isn't being used - but the auto gear assignment is.
                  My Connect IQ Apps in the Store
                  Facebook - Instagram -
                  Twitter

Comment

Auto Gear Assign

OK, so I want to use the auto assign. Not sure how to turn it on? I can select in gear set up to assign "cycling " to that gear but then any bike I ride goes to that gear, so I have to go in and change the assignment.

The main reason I want it to automatically go to the correct gear (bike) automatically is that some days I might ride 2 different bikes or I may not sync for a day or two so now I have to sort through which bike goes with what ride, it's a pain sometimes.

Comment

Garmin Support

Well I just wasted an hour and half with Garmin Support trying to resolve this multiple bike issue (and a sync issue). Basically Connect doesn't recognize profileS, yes we set up this new great feature called Profiles but our Connect software doesn't deal with them. So the only way I can get each activity to be associated with the correct gear (bike) is to do it manually! Even though I set up profiles for each bike so I can track them individually I can't see that in Connect unless I manually assign them. DONT THESE PEOPLE THINK!

Also I now find that the last software update to my Edge 1000 (last week) wiped out my totals for each profile (bike) so now the only way I know the mileage on each bike is to look at Connect, but if I don't assign each activity to the proper gear Connect is not accurate. PLUS THERE IS NO WAY TO PUT THE CORRECT MILEAGE BACK IN TO THE edge 1000. I wish I could take this dam thing back and buy from someone else.

I HOPE THOSE THAT ARE CONSIDERING BUYING A DEVICE READ THIS AND SERIOUSLY CONSIDER OTHERS, NOT GARMIN, THEY ARE A MESS

Comment

Are there new news to this issue. I also want to have the possibility to add a bike to an activity.
                        Manually editing the gear after each run is horrible.....

Comment

Can't even add it manually

When I try to manually change the gear, all I get is my road bike even though I have my mountain bike correctly listed in the gear page. So even after a mountain bike ride I can only add the road bike under the gear.... grrr.

Comment

Originally posted by Achim_Schraud View Post
                            I also want to have the possibility to add a bike to an activity.
                            Are you talking about Edge devices specifically, or in Garmin Connect more generally?

Manually editing the gear after each run is horrible.....
                            Now I'm confused. Are you talking about riding or running?

Disclaimer: I don't have or use an Edge device; I use a Forerunner watch as the data capture device at the point of user activity.
                            1. As far as I can surmise, the gear (as in sporting equipment, and not the engaged setting of interlocking toothed wheels) items used is not among the data captured or transmitted by the device, irrespective of the activity profile set up and/or selected on it. It is therefore not possible to add a particular pair of shoes or a particular bike to an activity prior to syncing the device to Garmin Connect; the Gear attribute (or field) of an activity exists only in the Garmin Connect service's database schema.
                              _
                            2. The Gear attribute for an activity is not freeform text, but a list of references to rows in a separate Gear data table. Since the end-user device does not hold an offline copy of the data table that is current as of the time of the activity, it makes logical sense that the device cannot assign gear items used to an activity, in the absence of the ability to perform a referential integrity check at the point/time of populating the data.
                              _
                            3. Rule-based (and referential integrity checked) default assignment of gear items used can be performed by the Garmin Connect service based on an activity's Type attribute, but only at the granularity of Running, Walking, Hiking, Cycling, Swimming and Other (as opposed to Street Running vs Trail Running for different types/pairs of shoes).
                              _
                            4. So, adding a bike to an activity is possible (yes, I tested it), and automatically adding a bike to an activity is possible (yes, I tested that too). However, automatic anything means the user cedes at least some degree to control, without necessarily implying that automation mechanism will do exactly as the user wishes; the level of ‘intelligence’ in automation is a dimension unto itself.
                              _
                            5. I don't understand why “editing the gear after each run” would be necessary. How many pairs of shoes and/or how many bikes do you actively use? I have eight pairs of running shoes, I use my favourite pair for about a third of my runs, so I make that a default gear item for running, then I only need to edit the gear for running activities two-thirds of the time.

Originally posted by bbogle View Post
                            When I try to manually change the gear, all I get is my road bike even though I have my mountain bike correctly listed in the gear page. So even after a mountain bike ride I can only add the road bike under the gear.... grrr.
                            That's strange. The only reasons I can think of why a particular piece of gear would not appear in the Edit Gear pop-up are:
                            • The list of gear is too long, and so the user needs to scroll up to see the rest of the items; or
                            • The First Use date of the piece of gear is after the date of the activity in question; or
                            • The piece of gear has been retired before the date of the activity in question.

Comment

Originally posted by ASmugDill View Post
                              Are you talking about Edge devices specifically, or in Garmin Connect more generally?
                              The use of 'also' implies to me that as other parts of the conversation referenced the Edge, this part in particular references Garmin connect

Now I'm confused. Are you talking about riding or running?
                              Is that information relevant to the issue at hand, or does it apply regardless of what a run is?
                              Disclaimer: I don't have or use an Edge device; I use a Forerunner watch as the data capture device at the point of user activity.
                              Ok, here's what I believe is relevant to the post then:
                              • Edges have a list of bikes to choose from you can program. You might have "Daily Commute", "MTB" and "Track Bike"
                              • Garmin connect has a gear function that more or less lets you know when you should swap out equipment. Chain > 3000k for example would mean time to switch it out.
                              • The bike selection made on the Edge isn't communicated to Garmin Connect. If your Edge is set to "MTB" GC doesn't necessarily update the gear usage for the that bike.
                              • Correct me if I'm wrong anyone?
                              Last edited by scottmeup; 04-14-2016, 01:32 AM. Reason: Speeling
                              Garmin Beta Tester*

*Customer

Comment

Working...
                              X