Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connect iOS app battery drain

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm having the same issue. Ever since I updated the Connect app on my iPhone 8+ last week the battery use of the app has gone up significantly. I can't tell you what it was before as it was never an issue, but now I'm seeing 35% battery drain from the app as background usage, which is nuts!

Edit: Added version info in case it's useful for Garmin support if they're listening.
    iPhone 8+ iOS 11.4
    Fenix 5 Version 9.20.0.0
    Edge 1030 Version 5.0.0.0
    Last edited by RussPitcher; 06-25-2018, 03:23 AM. Reason: App/Device version info

Comment

Same here. Nothing special, all out of the box. Watch is Fenix 5x+ with no app/widget/... except the original ones. Weather app is the only one which is running. What I also experienced: 2.3 GB (yes, GIGAbyte) of data up/download in 5 days. Why that? No music, totally about 4 hours 30 minutes running with LiveTracking should not be able to generate such a lot of 3G traffic, the FIT file for the 2 hour run is 260kB. What's going on here.

BTW: battery drain on F5x+ is also awful. 2 hour run results in -15%! BT on, GPS+Gallileo. FR935 lasted for weeks!
      Last edited by johann.fuehrer; 06-27-2018, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Map data upload COULD be a problem, but the updates were done while connected via USB, so it should not show up in 3G traffic statistics.

Comment

So I had reset data usage when I wrote the mails before. Since then until now I have:

download of 3.8. MB (why and what, I only have checked the whater widget ONCE)
          5% battery drain from 100% to 95% on an iPhone with really EVERYTHING except the garmin app prohibitited to use positioning/bluetooth/3G/...

And, YES: I DID restart the phone, dropped (x) and reinstalled the app, reseted the F5x+ and so on.

There IS an issue or unwanted behaviour (debugging stuff?) in Garmin Connect for iOS. Please, Garmin: do not ignore this.
          Last edited by johann.fuehrer; 06-28-2018, 01:18 PM. Reason: removed unimportant personal information

Comment

I'm experiencing the battery drain as well. GCM would always reside in the 2% battery drain area for me. Now its always near the top. I haven't changed any settings related to it, so it must be caused by something in the GCM updates.

Comment

I have similar problem (may be same)

but I'm fenix3 user

this is what i posted. ( https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-t...-app-in-iphone )

and I also send email to garmin customer service as the post but can't receive any response yet.

I update app to GC v4.8 2 days ago but still exist same problem.

so I'm turning off the bluetooth at fenix3 these days.

fenix3 has not wrist HR sensor.

iPhone 8 (11.4)
              Fenix 3 (8.90)
              Garmin Connect (4.8.0.16)
              Last edited by Alocky; 07-03-2018, 01:22 AM.

Comment

I have checked now my battery consumption of the last days with only ONE activity (2h 30mins + live track)

Connect was the #1 one with using up 37%.
                Attached Files

Comment

Same problem here. Disabling the phone connection on the watch seems to fix it most of the time, but not always.

Like in the screenshot in the previous post, the problem seems to be with the Connect app failing to sleep properly when it's in the background. If I look at power usage for the app it's saying it accounted for 18% of battery usage (that's low: sometimes it's been at 40%) after 3 minutes on screen and 50 minutes in the background. That's with the phone connection disabled on the watch.

Comment

I'm using GCM on my iPhone 8+ (iOS 11.4) together with a S60 watch. My iPhone and GCM are running 24:00 h and over night only 2% of the iPhone battery goes down, over day with some e-mails, whatsapp and notifications it goes down 10 to 15%. If I use GPS to track during playing Golf it goes down 20 - 25%. So I can not say it's too much.
                    The last 7 days GCM was 39 min in the foreground and 1.8 h in the background activ.
                    Here I have the feeling that it has to do with the connection between specific watches.

Comment

Originally posted by Alocky View Post
                      I have similar problem (may be same)

but I'm fenix3 user

this is what i posted. ( https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-t...-app-in-iphone )

and I also send email to garmin customer service as the post but can't receive any response yet.

I update app to GC v4.8 2 days ago but still exist same problem.

so I'm turning off the bluetooth at fenix3 these days.

fenix3 has not wrist HR sensor.

iPhone 8 (11.4)
                      Fenix 3 (8.90)
                      Garmin Connect (4.8.0.16)
                      My iphone settings as follow:

background app refresh - off
                      location service of garmin connect - never

Comment

So...following up with some failed fixes for my Forerunner 935 (FW9.60) /Iphone 7 (11.4.1) set up, running the latest GC (4.8.16) but actually found a small one that works for my uses today...

First, the bad news/failed attempts:
                        - i wiped the watch completely clean, and didn't install anything, nor t load in any of my old files and the same iPhone battery drain occurs.
                        - apple updated iOS 11.4.1, and that update didn't help my problem.

Kludgy fix (beyond just shutting down connection between phone and watch):
                        - if i force quit Garmin Connect on the iPhone (double-clicking home button and swiping away GC... can't recall what that is on the iPhone X, but most of you should know what i mean if you own and X), my problem is solved. and i still can get notifications on my phone (phone calls show up (i have other notifications turned off), and text messages can still be read with the Notification widget text messages for the few occasions that i desire to)

for my minimal notification scenarios, this works very well for me.

the only downside is that watch faces (Connect IQ) dont' show a notification counter, and also any "bluetooth indicator" appears off on the watch face.

hope this makes sense. this is a modest success for me, and my uses. i don't really need a full fledged smart watch. my primary needs is having a "caller ID" to identify whether i'm getting a spam call or it's my wife (so i know whether i really need to pull my phone from my pocket), and occasionally, i can read texts from my wrist.

Comment

well, it's two months later, and somehow Garmin fixed it... after being away on a backpacking trip and not wanting to update the firmware on my 935 in case it messed up its functionality, this morning i finally upgraded to the latest firmware (10.10), and low and behold, i no longer have the constant battery drain from Garmin Connect on my iPhone still running the same GC i was prior to today and iOS 11.4.1.

glad it's finally working properly again...

Comment

Working...
                          X