Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vector 3 accuracy thread

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For me, the average watt is slightly lower with my Vector 3 pedals (dual) than my p2m. Difference is 2-3%, but the alignment is pretty much spot on when compared between the two meters. I did an indoor ride the other evening to compare, and made a graph using the instructions on this website: https://athletictimemachine.com/2016...-on-a-bicycle/ The result is shown in the attached images.

The first image is the first 20 minutes of the ride. Then I did 10 mins with both meters recording p2m to validate that the recording units didn't differ (920xt and Edge 800) and did another 30 mins comparison, which is the second image. I stopped the recording of p2m watts by mistake about halfway into the second comparison ride, which may be a reason to that the graphs' alignment is a bit more off towards in the last part.

Comment

• What kind of P2M is it? As i see, its indoor, the Type S is sensitive for temp change (if the window is opened and and the room temp is changing) and needs an auto-zeroing (a 3-4secs coasting) on trainer (on longer , 2-3hs trainer session 2-3times apprx)
      Last edited by SUSSAMB; 03-05-2018, 03:04 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the post directly above yours. It's unnecessary and simply clutters up the thread. Thanks

Comment

• I'm yet another Vector 3(s) user where it appears the pedals are reporting way too high compared to my previous Vector 2 and Tacx Neo. I've had a number of rides with whats looks like seriously exaggerated power numbers...an example is I just completed a 6 minute hill effort where the Vector 3s recorded an average power of 471w...only in my dreams! My previous best recorded avg power on that climb with the Vector 2 is 342w, which is a number that lines up with power efforts on my Tacx Neo for a similar duration. Both power meters calibarated, correct cranks lengths, install angles etc set. I know from my Vector 2 pedals that I have a 50/50 left right power balance so I don't see the Vector 3 being the single model being a significant issue here.

I realise the above is not valid data for actual comparison, so I've set the pedals up on my Tacx Neo training bike, done all the calibrations, and I'll record a Zwift ride in the morning to see how the data between the 2 tracks. Given that there is a consistent pattern of users reporting the Vector 3 recording exaggerated power data, it looks to me like there's a real issue here.

I'll report in the morning with more data....

Comment

• Originally posted by Luko79 View Post

What kind of P2M is it? As i see, its indoor, the Type S is sensitive for temp change (if the window is opened and and the room temp is changing) and needs an auto-zeroing (a 3-4secs coasting) on trainer (on longer , 2-3hs trainer session 2-3times apprx)
          Not sure actually. Am traveling at the moment so not able to take a look. Pretty sure it’s not a Type S though. Think it’s about five years old - got it when I bought a used bike.

Indoor ride, no windows. Pretty large room however, ca 30 sqm. It gets warmer and more humid during a ride, but nothing crazy.

Comment

• S_Staffan,
            than that is an old Classic then, which has no temperature compensation feature (they released a few years ago a new FW for the early Classic to implement this function but the customer has to send back to the factory to update it) If You send me a FIT file i can tell You, it is on the latest FW or not.

Comment

• I got a set of these pedals today and installed them. I ran a test with the pedals connected to my garmin head unit and an Elite Direto connected to Zwift. My results are below.

I wasn't expecting them to be a perfect match but it now has me wondering which is most accurate.... This test was done pre-firmware update. I'll do another tomorrow.

https://analyze.dcrainmaker.com/#/pu...7-70a39f27e377
              Last edited by R0B.75; 03-12-2018, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Which one is the V3? I assume the bottom one with the lower power output?

Comment

• Yes, sorry, the bottom one. I thought I'd named them. Anyway, ignoring the data after 55 minutes where I stopped for a bit to alter saddle height the Vector 3 average power output is quite different, consistently lower than the trainer.

Tonight, having updated the firmware of the pedals I will run another test, making sure to calibrate both the trainer and the pedals beforehand.

Edit: The dropout after 55 minutes was mainly because the pedals lost connection to the 1030 head unit whilst messing with the saddle. It was only few minutes but should the sensor go to sleep that quickly? Never noticed it happen on any bike ride with HRM or S/C sensors before...
                  Last edited by SUSSAMB; 03-13-2018, 10:28 AM. Reason: Please don't quote the post directly above yours. It's unnecessary and simply clutters up the thread. Thanks

Comment

• For me the V3 are (were) spot on with the Tacx Neo on the Sweetspot intervals (270 watts), mostly within 2 watts or so. On the recovery intervals there are some deviations, but here I believe the pedals.

https://analyze.dcrainmaker.com/#/pu...e-7a863f43a291

Unfortunately, I had to send them in though as they are not working anymore after the battery change.

Comment

• Well, after my second test I'm a little more satisfied with the data.
                      I made sure the firmware was updated on the pedals tonight. I then calibrated the Elite Direto and then the Vector 3 before starting the ride. Seems to have helped. Anyone want to weigh in with some insight? It looks good to me.

First test - https://analyze.dcrainmaker.com/#/pu...7-70a39f27e377

Second test -
                      https://analyze.dcrainmaker.com/#/pu...f-b24257f5c4a9

Last edited by R0B.75; 03-13-2018, 03:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by R0B.75 View Post
                        Edit: The dropout after 55 minutes was mainly because the pedals lost connection to the 1030 head unit whilst messing with the saddle. It was only few minutes but should the sensor go to sleep that quickly? Never noticed it happen on any bike ride with HRM or S/C sensors before...
                        Vector 3 should to sleep four minutes after the last detected pedal cycle.

For whatever reason, your second test is showing up as a blank screen for me (on two different browsers).

Comment

• Ahh that makes sense then, I shall watch out for that. Perhaps that may be something they could allow you to change in the setting in future...

They were also not working for me on 2 browsers a little while ago. The links are working on my phone right now. Odd.

Edit: Updated link above. https://analyze.dcrainmaker.com/#/pu...f-b24257f5c4a9
                          Last edited by SUSSAMB; 03-13-2018, 03:34 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the post directly above yours. It's unnecessary and simply clutters up the thread. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by R0B.75 View Post
                            Perhaps that may be something they could allow you to change in the setting in future...
                            It's a balancing act of convenience against battery consumption. If you ride for an hour a day, and then the system keeps going for another four minutes until it goes to sleep, it's basically a 6% extra draw on the battery. Several other power meter makers also use the four minute timeout... if it was longer then it would start to eat into the battery life in a significant way. If the going-to-sleep time was significantly shorter, then the system would time out quite frequently such that it becomes a nuisance.

Comment

• A choice would be nice of course but it does make sense to do this. Must make a mental note to re-connect after stops then.

Comment

• You should not need to reconnect when you are starting up after a stop if the head unit was in auto-pause mode. The Edge should reconnect with Vector when Vector wakes up. If it is not doing that then it may be an issue with the Edge. What build are you running on your 1030?
                                Last edited by Vector-Info; 03-14-2018, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X