Garmin Edge 800 Course Routing Problems Solved

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin Edge 800 Course Routing Problems Solved

Garmin Edge 800 Routing Problems;
    I have biked thousands of miles using the Edge 800. I have experimented with several different settings while trying to navigate a predesigned course. I have had many,many problems and have been going back and forth with Garmin Support for months. Here's what I learned...
    This is the best way to create and navigate a course. There are some little nuances that will save you lots of frustration and problems when trying to navigate the course.
    Create course in http://www.BikeRouteToaster.com
    This is a free website and doesn't have those irritating pop ups that cover the map like on some other sites.
    Also the maps show bike trails while other maps may not.
    When you create the course use Google Auto Routing on streets, use OSM Auto Routing on bike trails. When you are done creating the course; go to Summary, go to the bottom of the page under Save Course, name the course and then click the Save link. (the course is now saved to the website if you need it later)
    In the Download section of the webpage NAME THE COURSE THE SAME AS ABOVE (this is what will show up on the Edge course list)
    Put a check mark on “Add Course Point Warnings”.
    In the download section of the webpage click on “To File GPX”. Save it to your hard drive but NAME THE FILE THE SAME AS ABOVE (by default the file name is course.gpx)
    Import the course into Garmin Base Camp software (you can download it free here http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/onthetrail/basecamp)
    This step cleans up the file and makes it most compatible with your Garmin Edge 800
    Connect the Garmin Edge 800 to your PC.
    Export the file from Base Camp to the "New Files" folder on your Garmin Edge 800
    Unplug the GPS and turn it on
    Go to Menu/Courses and view the course to see that it looks ok
    Before navigating the course make sure you have the following settings options set.
    Go to Settings/System
    /Routing = Calculate Routes for Bicycle
    /Guidance Method = On Road for Distance
    /Lock on Road = No
    /Recalculate = Off
    You’re now ready to start the course!

Mike Pettis
    Orlando, FL

Thanks man!

Comment

Thats a good method if you have bought just the 800 with no other map software installed,If you,ve got maps on micro SD card like CN or OS maps you can simplify your method and just use Basecamp to create and save routes onto the 800,working well for me so far,and you dont need to be online to create and save routes which has its advantages if youve got an unreliable internet connection like mine is at times.

Comment

Some good tips there, especially re the settings on the 800. I've not found it necessary to send bikeroutetoaster files to basecamp, and have found sending direct to the 800 works fine. (save as .tcx then the 800 converts it)
        I use basecamp for preparing routes which are off road or a combination of on/off, as you can (in the UK) purchase affordable chunks of the OS maps which obviously include trails, footpaths, bridleways etc., which then show on your map page on the 800. Neat.
        I'm a great fan of bikeroutetoaster and have used it for preparing and following routes in the UK and various parts of Europe. The 800 seems more stable and reliable than the 705.

Comment

I've used biketoaster and mapmyride to download courses to my 800, with varying degrees of success.
          I did a ride on monday that I'd made on mmr, I had my usual settings but I didn;t get any directions. In the past as I appraoched a junction I;d get an instruction to turn.
          However once I'd started the ride and discovered I had no directions I changed the map view to automotive view and I could see the route quite clearly ( white line on the road) and I navigated fine.
          2 questions
          1) Did I miss something in MMR which meant I didn;t get instructions
          2) can someone point me to where I can get good clear instructions on how to create routes in basecamp, I;ve tried several times and just can't work it out. I have the GB 1:50,000 OS SD card
          Thanks

Comment

Great post Mike, i finally got routing to work on a course.

Hope Garmin get around to sorting this out in the firmware so we don't have to jump through all these hoops to follow a pre-determined ride.

Comment

I'm so frustrated with this device. I shouldn't have to go through a bunch of hoops to get basic turn by turn directions working. I've owned the 305 and the 500, yet the 800 is far the most buggy and frustrating Garmin device I've ever owned.

Comment

typical i.o. error, but (sorry) i.o. stands for idiot operator. If u dont understand the device but thousands of people do so, where do u think is the real problem?
                Look in your handbook, search informations in the web and first learn how to use the device and software, than post your expieriences!

Comment

I've got the CN (North America NT) map on the micro SD and I would like to just create my routes in Basecamp. It does not have enough detail in the base map. I've done a search here with no applicable results. That would be nice to create my routes in basecamp then download srtaight to the 800.
                  Biketoaster works well with streets only or bike path only but not when combining both on one route.
                  i've folowed MIKEPETTIS instructions above (for a street course) and will see how that works in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by CYCLINAUDIMAN View Post
                    I've got the CN (North America NT) map on the micro SD and I would like to just create my routes in Basecamp. It does not have enough detail in the base map.
                    Found out by accident that when my Edge was connected to via USB the map on the card appears on the Basecamp i.e. BC downloads the map details from the SD card and you have a detailed map to work with.

Obviously you need to be on the PC mode on the Edge so that the card folders are visible. This is on a Mac.

Another alternative is to install Open street map see : http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php
                    This generates following files:
                    * osm_routable_mapsource.exe = Installer for Garmin MapSource (Windows).
                    * osm_routable_roadtrip.zip = Installer for Garmin RoadTrip (and basecamp) (Mac OSX)
                    * osm_routable_gmapsupp.zip = Combined image for direct manual placement on the GPS device (gmapsupp.img)
                    * osm_routable_tiles.zip = A zip file containing the tiles in the request, especially useful for Linux users (e.g. QLandkarte)

also see ready maps here:
                    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/O...armin/Download

I managed to install OSM map to my Mac so it is visible on a BC all the time and I can choose whether to use OSM or detailed Garmin City Navigator map when Edge is connected. Works great now.

Althought I find the Basecamp somewhat hard to use as it has so many features, so I find it takes time to get to know how to use it. Compared to the more intuitive but less feature rich alternatives.

What I have tested and found easy is to create a route with google maps and then convert that with gmaptogpx to a gpx file. This works usually quite well with "full" detail as it is, just copy the gpx file to edge's new files folder (as already covered in this forum several times). The same gpx is easy to import to BC as well, I have noticed some differencies on the maps. At least in Europe google uses TeleAtlas map data and Garmin uses Navteq data, so the maps are not entirely identical, so if you want to be absolutely sure of your routing, best to use the same map data that you have on your Edge i.e. import it to BC and use Garmin CN map data there, or if you have OSM map on your Edge then use the OSM map data also on the Basecamp.

The above is based on my still limited testing on the Edge 800, damn winter
                    Last edited by timo.takamaki; 03-10-2011, 03:19 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Wow, Thanks for the in-depth reply!! I'll start to give that a look.

I've folowed MIKEPETTIS instructions above (for a street course) and will see how that works in the morning.

The street course I used this morning worked flawlessly. It beeped shortly before the intended turn and broke through the data page I had displayed at the time and then went back after the turn was executed. It did not try to shortcut me back to the start point. Thanks Mike!

Comment

Using Google Maps

If you want to use Google Maps to build rides and keep a library, here's how I do it. I found that bike route toaster did not provide as good information about bike routes nor did it provide the street level photos that help with route planning.

Create your route in google maps.
                        To save the google route so you can edit it in the future: click the word “link” at the upper right of the map page, then copy the URL. This URL, when pasted into a browser, will bring you back to google maps with the route in it. You then can modify the route, click the word “link” to get the updated URL, and then you’ll have the new map. The maps are directional, so if you want go the reverse direction you’ll need to rebuild the map in the reverse direction and save it.
                        To put the google route into bikeroutetoaster:
                        o From google, use the GoogleMap_CueSheet macro (you can find it by searching on the web when it will also tell you how to install it). After it runs, use the resulting interface to generate the .GPX file with the 15 character name you want to see in your garmin device. Alternatively if you prefer and XML course you can generate a TCX file.
                        o Copy the resulting text into notepad, save as, set Save as Type to All Files, Encoding to UTF-8, give it a file name with an extension of .GPX (or .TCX if you’re going that route), and save it in the directory you want. You've now got the route as a .GPX file (or .TCX if you’re going that route). if you don't change the file type to all files then when you try to upload it to the garmin you'll get a failure with an early end of file notice. I'm not sure why it needs to be UTF-8. Now we need to upload it into your garmin 800
                        o In http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/course.apx go to courses, choose the file you just created, and upload it as a .GPX (or a .TCX if you’re going that route).
                        o At this point you can follow the previous instructions to move it through base camp or for me I use bikeroutetoaster to move a .TCX file directly into the Garmin 800 as a .fit file.

Comment

I downloaded a gpx file for a charity ride, imported it into Garmin Base Camp per the OP's instructions.

I rode the course today (59 miles) and it worked like a charm. I was prompted to turn on the correct roads and the unit was not confused when the route crossed itself or doubled-back on the same road (they did this twice on this route).

Thanks OP!

Comment

BikeRouteToaster

Hi Mike:

Great suggestion for Bike Route Toaster. I was successful the first time I used it. I have tried and tried to create routes in base camp, but it is so difficult and cumbersome. The bike trails just don't show up, but Bike Route Toaster has now solved my problem.

Thanks.

Comment

I frequently use out and back routes and the Edge gets confused. However I changed the settings on BRT to track on the left hand side of the ride (for me!), 3 metres from the midldle and now get a lot less off course warnings.

However, the other day the directions showed quite a few u-turns and considering I didn't map u-turns, I can only think this is caused when I've hit undo in mapping. I need to check this out further.

Comment

Working...
                              X