Total factory reset help please

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total factory reset help please

Hello,
    Im hoping for some help with resetting my device back to factory.
    This is my second device which has developed the same problem as the first one(replaced under warranty).It will not connect automatically to my pc unless i force it into mass storage mode(holding the joypad up while connecting to the pc with the usb.
    I have tried various ways from the things i have read on the forum but none seem to do what im after.The last attempt involed me doing a format of the Garmin device and then going to Garmin update,this did not work but actually made things worse,now my rides are not recognised in GTC when trying to upload.What i really want is a complete way to wipe everything and the files to re-install after.

Many thanks
    Dean.

To clear non-vol (prompted):
    Press the MODE button while powering the unit on – choose yes and continue

To clear non-vol (non-prompted):
    Press MODE and ENTER while powering the unit on – it will clear all data with no prompt
    - Alan

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      I have tried this method which didnt solve my problem.The system appeared to have loaded the defaults but when setting back up i noticed my user pofile had been retained.
      Not sure if im missing something,i assumed a hard reset would clear everything back to factory.

Comment

The closest I come to a complete reset is formatting the drive and reinstalling the firmware. According to Garmin support, reformatting the drive only reformats the user accessible partition and not the partition where the firmware resides.

Here's a site that has required GCD files. NOTE that this will not reinstall a version that is already installed on you unit. For example: If 3.1 is already installed, you must first install some other version, 2.9, 3.3 etc., then install 3.1. (I find that 3.1 works the most reliably for the way I use the unit.)

http://garminedge705.wikispaces.com/...showType=files

Make a note of all your settings first, such as data fields, map and routing preferences, auto-pause, etc. so that you can reprogram them after installing the software.

You may want to upload any of your history TCX files to Garmin Connect, or save the files to your computer. You may also want to save to your computer any TCX courses or GPX rides you might have download to the TCX or GPX folders on the device.

Optional, Formatting drive:

To ensure you’re working with a clean system, you might want to format the drive first. This only wipes the user partition of the device’s drive, not the partition the firmware resides in. Use the following settings:

Remove the SD card as a precaution
        File System: FAT32
        Volume label: GARMIN
        Do not use the "Quick Format" option for this format.
        Use the default settings for any other parameters.
        Once started, this will take a long time complete, perhaps 45 minutes, so don't panic.
        When done, create a new folder named "Garmin" in the newly formatted drive.

To install a firmware version:

* Save the appropriate GCD file to your desktop
        * Rename the file GUPDATE.GCD
        * Plug your Edge 605/705 into your computer
        * Drag and drop the .gcd file on your desktop into the Garmin directory on your Edge 605/705
        * Unplug your Edge 605/705 from your computer
        * Power on your Edge 605/705
        * Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation
        * Set up your data screens and operation preferences

Comment

I tried EVERYTHING but it didn't work until...

I tried soft reset, hard reset, undocumented things I found elsewhere on the net. NOTHING would get my 705 to go past the initial start screen - it just sat there. On a lark, I removed the external data chip and it came right up. I suspect the external chip was corrupt and was preventing the 705 from booting.

Originally posted by VILLASECURE View Post
          Hello,
          Im hoping for some help with resetting my device back to factory.
          This is my second device which has developed the same problem as the first one(replaced under warranty).It will not connect automatically to my pc unless i force it into mass storage mode(holding the joypad up while connecting to the pc with the usb.
          I have tried various ways from the things i have read on the forum but none seem to do what im after.The last attempt involed me doing a format of the Garmin device and then going to Garmin update,this did not work but actually made things worse,now my rides are not recognised in GTC when trying to upload.What i really want is a complete way to wipe everything and the files to re-install after.

Many thanks
          Dean.

Comment

HI,

I tried to load a map onto the Edge705 which it failed to read. I deleted the map on the garmin device drive (dint have SD card) but the device still shows
            the disk space used is the same as before i deleted it. I cant load new maps onto the Edge 705. I need to reformat the drive, any ideas how this is performed?

Comment

Originally posted by EYRESTREAM View Post
              ... I need to reformat the drive, any ideas how this is performed?
              Not sure if that's what's needed or not, but I provided instructions for reformatting the drive and reinstalling the firmware in post #4 of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by LOOIGI View Post
                Not sure if that's what's needed or not, but I provided instructions for reformatting the drive and reinstalling the firmware in post #4 of this thread.
                yes i saw that but i wasnt sure where this is performed from? is this done on the Garmin through an option or is it done at startup via a key function or something? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by EYRESTREAM View Post
                  yes i saw that but i wasnt sure where this is performed from? is this done on the Garmin through an option or is it done at startup via a key function or something? thanks
                  Connect your 705 to your computer with a USB cable and go from there.

Uploading rides to save them can be done through Garmin Connect website, or you can simply copy the TCX history files to your computer.

The rest is done via the file system on you computer. e.g. Windows Explorer on a PC.
                  Last edited by looigi; 05-27-2013, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks AWEATHERALL: Will this power-on + mode clear courses and user and bike profiles as well as history? That's what I'd like to do to deliver this unit to a new owner as it would have been from the store.

Comment

Originally posted by SHAKENNOTSTIRRED View Post
                      Thanks AWEATHERALL: Will this power-on + mode clear courses and user and bike profiles as well as history? That's what I'd like to do to deliver this unit to a new owner as it would have been from the store.
                      This will help.
                      https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...in-Modes-Table

Comment

Working...
                      X