No announcement yet.

Firmware 7.0 Varia tone

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firmware 7.0 Varia tone

It looks like Garmin changed the tone for Varia radars for update 7.0. Rather than giving us the option of choosing the tone, it's now a shrill multi beep tone. I had no problem with the old beep, it worked perfect for alerting when cars were coming up behind and wasn't too intrusive.

With just 2 rides in, this new tone is driving me crazy, For a 3+ hour road ride and having 100+ cars pass me, I'm going to have to turn off radar tones which I do not want to do. Is there a way to manually edit the tone type through one of the files with the device hooked up to my computer?

I'm a old guy so my hearing is not the greatest and I have never heard the alert from the Varia. I'm glad the alert has been enhanced but I doubt I'll be able to hear it. I'll have to wait on good weather to try it out.
    The 1030 needs two options to handle Varia alerts. A option to send the tone to a bluetooth earbud and a way to control the volume. There's some small single earbuds that would allow the alert to be easily heard even in noisy conditions.

Comment

I like to wear my watch so I can get a vibration on my wrist when a car approaches. I agree it'd be nice if it could be customized. Sounds like a perfect opportunity for a CIQ data field to handle this. Not sure if you could disable the built in sounds and still get the sounds from CIQ. Might have to try that.

Comment

I like it. Before i don’t hear it ????

Comment

+1 I agree the new high pitched screech is so annoying, I preferred the original tone/volume.
          This now annoys everyone on group ride so had to switch the tone off all together, not ideal.
          There should be option to set tone level.

Comment

The old alert was pretty much the same as the alert for other things like notifications and turns, etc/ Now the radar get a distinctive and more audible tone. I like the change. In urban settings you may want to turn off the radar and use it only on open roads where it is more useful. Of for customization there is something to be said about a uniform experience.

Comment

I am not after customisation, for me the original tone was good, I know you can't keep everyone happy all the time, but there should have been following options:

(1) Original tone - which many were happy with and ...
              (2) Louder two tone screech - for people that wanted it (might be useful on country low traffic rides) but all out annoying on urban roads - and no I don't want to turn radar off I still want to see indicators so can see the traffic coming up behind.

And as for sharp turns notifications, don't get me started :-) It flags every single roundabout as a sharp turn, another option that I will be switching off soon for urban riding!!

Comment

I'm all for the louder alert because of my poor hearing but I agree that there should be options to vary the volume. I don't know anything about Connect IQ programing. Is there a possibility that a volume setting can be programed in Connect IQ? Or a better option for me would be a way to send the alert tone to a bluetooth earbud.

Comment

I can sometimes hear the alerts with 7.0 on a quiet road and at low speeds; still not close to a safe volume level for me. The indication I am getting via my support ticket is there isn't any way to boost the volume on the 1030 (hardware limitation),. More like an inadequate design IMHO? I am also asking about a phone app connection, probably about the only way forward at this point.
                  JMESS

Comment

Working...
                  X