No announcement yet.

Garmin Drive 51 REFUSES to cooperate

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin Drive 51 REFUSES to cooperate

Just bought a Drive 51 GPS as I am upgrading from the Nuvi 1390. I am having lots of problems. One problem is that the software update refuses to apply to the new GPS, and another problem is unlike the Nuvi I am unable to download Canada and Alaska maps as its only downloading the lower 49 maps. Is this normal behavior? I am about to return it, but I thought I'd better stop here first.

Depends on what maps it came with, full NA maps or lower 49? What do you mean by software update refuses to apply?
    Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
    Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
    (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Originally posted by SUSSAMB View Post
      Depends on what maps it came with, full NA maps or lower 49? What do you mean by software update refuses to apply?
      Lower 49. So this means that unlike the NUVI I cannot just add Canada and Alaska because I need to buy a special SD card?

Comment

No, the lower 49 does not include Canada and Alaska, your nuvi must have come with full NA maps. See https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?fa...kY7mu2l20K0qx8

If you want Canada and Alaska you would need to purchase that map https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/8750
        Last edited by SUSSAMB; 06-16-2018, 03:24 PM.
        Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
        (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Okay thanks. Also the FM traffic transmitter the NUVI had is lacking on this GPS. Can I use the NUVIS or not?
          Last edited by SUSSAMB; 06-17-2018, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Possibly but the 51 is designed to enable you to use a linked smart phone for traffic https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/111441

It will provide digital traffic, a far better service than the FM based traffic on your 1390.

Comment

Thanks. Another feature I miss, or perhaps there is a way on the new garmin is the track history. The old device would show lines on roads I have been too. How do I get this feature to work on the new device?
              Last edited by SUSSAMB; 06-17-2018, 03:21 AM. Reason: Please don’t quote the post directly above yours, it's unnecessary and just clutters up the thread, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SUSSAMB View Post
                Possibly but the 51 is designed to enable you to use a linked smart phone for traffic https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/111441

It will provide digital traffic, a far better service than the FM based traffic on your 1390.
                I downloaded the smartphone link app but it does not work. Looked at the manual and its not compatible with my device.

Comment

Originally posted by John_Wolf View Post

Thanks. Another feature I miss, or perhaps there is a way on the new garmin is the track history. The old device would show lines on roads I have been too. How do I get this feature to work on the new device?
                  Turn on Travel History ...

As for smartphone link it's compatible with all Drive 51 models on the list I see, what model do you have? Look on the back for the correct model details.

Note you're getting off topic here, this is an Express forum. If you have any more device issues not related to Express please contact Product Support or try http://forums.gpsreview.net/categori...min-nuvi-forum
                  Last edited by SUSSAMB; 06-17-2018, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X