Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garmin Basecamp Routing VS the Montana (and Others)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin Basecamp Routing VS the Montana (and Others)

There are many people out there who use Basecamp to create Routes with many via points in them, then when they save the Route to their shiny new, powerful, state of the art Montana, they find it can't handle Routes with more than 50 points. What gives with that?

Why does the Montana have this restriction when some other older Garmin units don't?

If this is something which can't be changed in the Montana, then why can't it do like the Zumo 350 which according to reports will break the offending route into sections, and label them accordingly.

We want better Route capabilities in the Montana!

Please?
    Not a Garmin employee. Never have been. But I have a Montana, a Monterra, an Etrex Touch35, a Nuvi 2597, two Virb Elites, and too many other older Garmin devices to mention.

Originally posted by GEOMONSTER View Post
    Why does the Montana have this restriction when some other older Garmin units don't?
    Probably because the Montana is primarily an Outdoor ("On the trail") model and not an Automotive one. Garmin often restricts the functionality of their products according to what category they're in.
    nuvi 1490T (6.30) + 32GB microSDHC card & ecoRoute HD, Oregon 600 (5.00) + 32GB microSDHC card & tempe, GPSmap 76CSx (4.00) + 32GB microSDHC card, GPS V (2.60), GPS 12XL (2.02)

This is a user-to-user forum. I am not, and never have been, a Garmin employee. My opinions are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by STUARTMW View Post
      Probably because the Montana is primarily an Outdoor ("On the trail") model and not an Automotive one. Garmin often restricts the functionality of their products according to what category they're in.
      I wouldn't call the Montana "primarily an Outdoor model". Have you tried carrying or pocketing one? It's got some very useful powered mounts, so as far as I am concerned, it's an Automotive unit.
      Not a Garmin employee. Never have been. But I have a Montana, a Monterra, an Etrex Touch35, a Nuvi 2597, two Virb Elites, and too many other older Garmin devices to mention.

Comment

Well it doesn't matter what you or I think. Garmin lists it as an "On the trail" model.
        nuvi 1490T (6.30) + 32GB microSDHC card & ecoRoute HD, Oregon 600 (5.00) + 32GB microSDHC card & tempe, GPSmap 76CSx (4.00) + 32GB microSDHC card, GPS V (2.60), GPS 12XL (2.02)

This is a user-to-user forum. I am not, and never have been, a Garmin employee. My opinions are my own.

Comment

Well it doesn't matter what you or I think. Garmin lists it as an "On the trail" model.
          I still wouldn't use that as a basis for judgment. It works much better as a mounted navigator than a handheld. And I'm sure Garmin knows that.

Comment

I wouldn't call the Montana "primarily an Outdoor model". Have you tried carrying or pocketing one? It's got some very useful powered mounts, so as far as I am concerned, it's an Automotive unit.
            Interesting thought ... you might be alone there.
            Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
            Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
            (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Originally posted by SUSSAMB View Post
              Possibly, but I'm interested to see these comments don't look like they come from Montana owners. Maybe you need to try one out yourself to see?

Comment

I have no interest in one. Better auto GPS available IMO and my Etrex 20 works fine as a handheld for my use .
                Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
                (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

I have no interest in one. Better auto GPS available IMO and my Etrex 20 works fine as a handheld for my use .
                  I'm not surprised. So why are you bothering to give an opinion on this?

Comment

Afraid I must differ with you. There is a huge community of motorcycle riders who use the Montana as both an off-road (with tracks) and on-road (with CN or routable topo) navigator.

Comment

Read the thread, I didn't say there wasn't ... just that it's not an 'automotive unit' according to Garmin

Comment

I'm not surprised. So why are you bothering to give an opinion on this?
                        Sorry ... Didn't realise I can't express an opinion unless I own a specific GPS

Comment

Exactly the point. Both my 76CSx and Oregon can route on road maps, give turn-by-turn directions etc, but neither of them is an "automotive" model. The 76CSx is a "Marine Handheld" and the Oregon is "Outdoor".

FYI my 7-yr old 76CSx has the same 50 point limit on auto-routes (250 for point-to-point ones).

Any long time user (I've had 6 Garmin models over 12 years) has a pretty good idea how Garmin markets their devices. Then again maybe, by some miracle, they'll read this thread and change their whole marketing strategy

Comment

Exactly the point. Both my 76CSx and Oregon can route on road maps, give turn-by-turn directions etc, but neither of them is an "automotive" model. The 76CSx is a "Marine Handheld" and the Oregon is "Outdoor".

FYI my 7-yr old 76CSx has the same 50 point limit on auto-routes (250 for point-to-point ones).

Any long time user (I've had 6 Garmin models over 12 years) has a pretty good idea how Garmin markets their devices. Then again maybe, by some miracle, they'll read this thread and change their whole marketing strategy
                            >neither of them is an "automotive" model.

Neither of those has powered mounts with voice navigation available with the right maps. The Montana is an automotive gps when used with the right mount. And the fact that you lump the Montana in with obvious handheld units like the Oregon or 76 shows how little you know about it.

I've had Garmins all the way back to the Etrex Legend, Emap, multiple 60/76CSx/Oregon 550, Forerunners, many Nuvis, so I am well aware of Garmin's marketing.
                            Last edited by GEOMONSTER; 02-08-2013, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Sorry ... Didn't realise I can't express an opinion unless I own a specific GPS
                              It helps if you know what you're expressing an opinion on. But it's no problem, it just gives me some idea of where you're coming from.

Comment

Working...
                              X