feedback-thread for custom maps without limitations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feedback-thread for custom maps without limitations

Would you like custom maps without limitations. (currently we have 100 files with 1024x1024 pix)
    Removing the limitation, the gpsmap 78xx and 62xx could use custom rastermaps up to 32GB (max. 4GB/ kmz)
    Comparing with other gps-companies, we consider it's time to remove this limitation.
    The other way would be the next generation with a better display (240x400), which is essential for rastermaps.

This does seem an unnecessary restriction on what is otherwise an excellent product. I am keeping a close watch on the GPS units on slate or phone formats, and my primary reason for moving away from Garmin is this restriction.
    So many people I know want to annotate their mats, and this is so much easier with a raster format, where you can use a painting programme on the tiles.
    I want to be able to select the map with a map manager.
    I could do this with memorymap on their GPS unit, but the battery life is not as good, it is not as waterproof etc. I am sure that their next version will improve on this. There is no restriction on how many of my own maps I use on their system, and I can change maps while out on the trail with ease.
    Garmin, if you want to keep long standing customers, give us an upgrade to a map manager and no restrictions on custom maps.

Comment

Completely agree. I upgraded from an eTrex (my fourth) to a Dakota to get the custom map feature. But I purchased the low-end model, the Dakota 10, in part, because of the 100-tile restriction, which seems a Garmin market decision rather than a hardware limitation. (The other reason: screen display, which I figure has to get better in coming generations.)

Here's the thing about raster maps. For hikers, at least here in Northern California, they remain the best guidance. I've yet to see a vector map come close to showing the actual network of trails as you'll encounter it. And of course, satellite imagery is interesting, but not especially helpful in wooded areas. The Dakota is a wonderfully designed unit: I've come to appreciate the touch interface, as well as the ability to create custom maps with relative ease--especially with the help of MAPC2MAPC. But every time I encounter the 100-tile limit warning screen, I think: is anyone doing this better?
      Last edited by FRITZ_NEWTON; 07-20-2010, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Yes please !!

Sometimes the limitation prevents me from using all of my raster maps I have for an area.
        Ditto the comments by Fritz.
        I am a Birdseye subscriber, and for the price will remain so. I have found it extremely useful when out hiking.
        Its just that scanned hiking maps add another dimension that I need / want.

Comment

Here - here

I agree, if I can't get unrestricted access to custom mapping. Our program will not be supporting Garmin products in the future.

Comment

It would be great to be able to have all of my Columbia River custom maps resident in the Oregon 550. Traveling on this river now requires multiple loading of limited sets of custom maps before reaching destinations. I would sure appreciate not having that limitation!
            -Dale-

Comment

I really like my 78....but the 100 map limit is making me consider other options.

Comment

I agree the should be no limit for the number of tiles, the limit should be only the available memory in the unit or the sd card, or at least offer an option to turn on / off selected kmz files in the Custom maps folder

Comment

I think, it could be implemented in the next model-version (not 62/78) to push it to 256 files. This is more than 100%.

Comment

We are excited about the continued interest and adoption of Garmin Custom Maps by Garmin customers. We are evaluating the performance impact of increasing the maximum tile size and overall tile count. If these improvements can be achieved, our limits may be raised. However, structural differences in the file format between Garmin Custom Maps (KMZ) and Garmin BirdsEye (JNX) will prevent Custom Maps limits to ever reach the overall capacity of Garmin BirdsEye.

Thanks,

TrailTech

Comment

That would be welcome. Thanks for considering.

Comment

mobiles

I think that there is very strong competition between usual GPS navigators as Garmin and GPS mobile phones. Why I bought Oregon 300? The reason was in its waterproof features. Now there are good waterproof mobile phone devices. But these devices have good OS and Java inside. All maps problems have very easy decisions if you have input in software. Now it is time for Garmin to change there marketing politics. More software inputs for customs!

Comment

Originally posted by TRAILTECH View Post
                          If these improvements can be achieved, our limits may be raised.
                          This is great news - keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by TSUKANOV2 View Post
                            I think that there is very strong competition between usual GPS navigators as Garmin and GPS mobile phones. Why I bought Oregon 300? The reason was in its waterproof features. Now there are good waterproof mobile phone devices. But these devices have good OS and Java inside. All maps problems have very easy decisions if you have input in software. Now it is time for Garmin to change there marketing politics. More software inputs for customs!
                            No question that mobile phones, particularly Android, are encroaching on Garmin handholds. But I would argue that, for serious GPS users, both hobbyists and professionals, Custom Maps is one feature that mobile phones don't offer. Which of course is another reason to not to artificially limit them. This will never be a large part of the market. Handhelds represent a comparatively small portion of Garmin's revenues compared with the Nuvi line. The number of people actually willing to plunge into the Custom Mapmaking recipe is even smaller. But those people (us) do represent an influential segment of Garmin customers. Technical limitations are one thing, and I trust the developers, who have done a great job so far. Artificial limitations are a marketing decision, and I hope Garmin product managers will do the same.

Comment

Custom Maps is one feature that mobile phones don't offer
                              Not quite true! Mobile Atlas Creator will feed tools like Andnav, Maverick, Trekbuddy, OSMTracker - and so will MAPC2MAPC

Comment

Working...
                              X