This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cannot reliably transfer from Garmin DashCam 55

I have a new Garmin DashCam 55 in my car which I'm trying to download videos from onto my iOS VIRB app on my iPhone 6. When sharing the gallery on the dashcam, I'm able to connect to its Wi-Fi access point. But when I launch the VIRB app, it doesn't immediately populate all of the saved and unsaved videos and photos. Most of the time, nothing appears after a few minutes. After re-connecting or re-launching several times, I was able to see a few thumbnails of videos once or twice. But then when I tried playing them back, the transfer was so slow and stuttered so much that they were basically unplayable. The dashcam is simply mounted at the top of my windshield as instructed, and I'm sitting in the drivers seat, operating my iPhone, so the two devices are in close proximity. What could be wrong?
  • Hi Peter,

Have you updated the DC 55 to the latest firmware? Firmware 3.50 is the latest. Also, have you updated the iOS VIRB app to the latest version (4.3.1)? The issues you described were fixed in recent app and firmware updates and should no longer occur. Please let me know by posting here if your DC 55 and App are up to date already and I can possibly suggest other things to try.
  • Yes, I checked and I do have the latest firmware and app versions that you specified. I tried again today and the app simply fails to display any unsaved videos stored on the dash cam.
  • Krakus,

I've tried to reproduce your issue on my end with a DC 55 and iPhone 6 and am not seeing the issues you've described. In the past, issues similar to this were related to a corrupted clip or bad SD Card. If you don't mind could you try formatting your SD card from within the DC 55 settings (back up your clips on your PC/Mac if you don't want to lose them) and see if this issue continues to occur with new unsaved clips? I'll keep trying to reproduce this issue on my end.

Additional questions:
    1. What iOS version are you running?
    2. What resolution do you have your DC 55 set to record at?
    3. What SD Card brand and/or Model are you using?
    4. Is there anything unique you may be doing that you haven't mentioned? (ie: you run a hotspot in your car, you have power save mode on, etc..)

Thanks
  • I think I may have reproduced your issue. Do you happen to have 1440p set as your resolution? If so, can you drop it down to 1080p or 720p and see if you're still experiencing the issue?

I was able to get out of this state and everything showed up in Unsaved videos if I selected Unsaved Videos on the actually camera before connecting the camera to the phone.
  • Thanks for the update. I'll have to play around with this some more. But yes, you're right, I have it set to 1440p, the maximum resolution, since this feature was the only reason I bought the camera in the first place.
  • Hope you dont mind me joining in but i have failed to get any response from Garmin to my emails.
    I recently bought a Dash Cam 45 and have trouble setting the correct time for the Timestamp.
    The camera shows the correct time but when it starts recording the Timestamp is one hour earlier.
    Grateful if someone could tell the correct settings for this feature please.
  • Thanks for the update. I'll have to play around with this some more. But yes, you're right, I have it set to 1440p, the maximum resolution, since this feature was the only reason I bought the camera in the first place.

After further investigation I don't think it's 1440p related as I'm able to reproduce the issue with other video types, it's looking more like SD card related (atleast for me).

Can you try this real quick and see if it fixes the issue for you?
    1. On the Dash Cam (not your phone) go to Gallery > Unsaved Videos
    2. Wait for your Videos to load
    3. Select the Back button to exit Unsaved Videos
    4. Connect the Dash Cam to your Phone then start the VIRB App
    5. Are all your videos showing up now?

Please reply and let me know if this fixed the issue for you (it fixes it for me).
  • Hope you dont mind me joining in but i have failed to get any response from Garmin to my emails.
    I recently bought a Dash Cam 45 and have trouble setting the correct time for the Timestamp.
    The camera shows the correct time but when it starts recording the Timestamp is one hour earlier.
    Grateful if someone could tell the correct settings for this feature please.

Hi Graham,

Sorry to hear you're having issues. I've seen what you're talking about in the past (1 hour off) I'm pretty sure your problem is your phone time is different than what you have set on the Dash Cam. Can you please verify your time on your phone and on the Dash Cam are the same then reply to this post with your results?

Dash Cam time can be accessed from Settings > System > Setup

Thanks
  • Reyntest, thanks for the follow-up. I finally tried your sequence of steps, in which the unsaved videos are shown first on the unit itself, and then I connected to the device with my phone. I can confirm that the videos then appeared on the phone. I don't think this is SD card related (I've got an expensive fast Samsung SSD), and I don't really consider this a fix. It seems like the device has to somehow "prep" all the videos first in the gallery before they can be transmitted and viewed over the phone. I don't think too many people will easily stumble upon the necessary sequence. Could you please find out the reason for this behaviour? The device should really be able to serve up the videos immediately.