This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VIRB App No Longer Connects to Camera (Android 6.0 Marshmallow)

Upgraded my LG Nexus 5 to Android 6.0 Marshmallow today, now the VIRB app won't properly connect to my camera. It seems like I can connect to the cameras Wi-Fi network, but I get a message saying that it either timed out, or couldn't find any cameras on the network.

The Wi-Fi SSID of the camera shows up to my phone, I'm entering the right password, I've tried resetting the camera to defaults, I've tried changing the password and SSID independently of each other on the camera, I've tried forcing my phone ot forget the Wi-Fi network and re-entering the password, I've tried reinstalling the app... Seems like the problem isn't something I can fix.
  • Is this being looked into at all Garmin?

I have this issue as well. Impossible to connect to camera using Android 6.0 / Marshmallow.

Broken again. Please fix Garmin
  • Thanks for reporting the issue, we'll take a look.
  • Any fix for this? Same problem on my virb ultra 30 with my s5 and s7 both. Tried two different s7s along with my old s5 phone.
  • Any fix for this? Same problem on my virb ultra 30 with my s5 and s7 both. Tried two different s7s along with my old s5 phone.

This issue was fixed awhile back. When it was originally found it occurred on all devices running Marshmallow. I believe the issue you're having is something else. Lets try and troubleshoot it here.

Thanks again for the info you provided here:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?362695-VIRB-Edit-4-2-1-is-available&p=913277&posted=1#post913277

The VIRB app runs solid on my personal stock T-Mobile S7, I'm having no issues connecting. I'm also using an Ultra with fw2.70. Since you're able to connect via an iPhone but not your Android devices I'm leaning toward a certain settings on your Android Devices is causing this or your Ultra is faulty.

I was able to reproduce your issue, but only when I'm connected to a VPN.

Some questions for you:
    Are you connected to a VPN service while trying to connect to the camera (for example the PIA VPN app)? (disconnecting from it should fix the connection issue if you are)
    Are there any Android settings you changed (for example, language/developer options) or is it still in the condition you bought it?

Thanks
  • @mdanielswv18

Do you happen to have your Android device language set to something other than English? if so please change it to English and see if you are still having connection issues.

Thanks
  • I am not connected to a VPN while trying to connect to the camera. I have not changed any settings on my Galaxy S7 since I received it. It is set to English. I tried to use the IPhone app with the Ultra 30 on a friends IPhone 6 this morning and it performed the same way as my S7. We also downloaded the software to another IPhone 5 and tried to connect at lunch with the same results. It establishes the connection for about 30 seconds then drops the connection. You can't change any of the camera settings and there is no preview even while in 720p or 1080p resolutions. It will disconnect then keep trying to find the camera again. I think the problem is with the camera since I am having issues with the Android and the IPhone apps.
  • I am not connected to a VPN while trying to connect to the camera. I have not changed any settings on my Galaxy S7 since I received it. It is set to English. I tried to use the IPhone app with the Ultra 30 on a friends IPhone 6 this morning and it performed the same way as my S7. We also downloaded the software to another IPhone 5 and tried to connect at lunch with the same results. It establishes the connection for about 30 seconds then drops the connection. You can't change any of the camera settings and there is no preview even while in 720p or 1080p resolutions. It will disconnect then keep trying to find the camera again. I think the problem is with the camera since I am having issues with the Android and the IPhone apps.

I see this is still a problem here, affecting all phones and operating systems for 18 months now. I've just posted on one of the other threads here .

I'ts high time a fix was made available. I find it particularly annoying as all I want to do with the app is use it as a viewfinder so I can see where the camera's pointing when I mount it.