This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Only sync supported activities to Strava

I have my Strava account linked to my Garmin Connect account, so activities sync automatically. This works great for sports like running, cycling and swimming.

However, other activities (such as gym sessions) are recorded as 'bike rides' on Strava, unless I later manually edit the activity type on Strava separately. Moreover, I don't particularly want these activities syncing with Strava. Is there a way to manually select which types of activities sync with Strava? Or at least a way to get Strava to match the activity type correctly (Strava does support a wide range of activities - https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216919407-Other-Activity-Types-on-Strava)?
  • And/or makes it available via API?

Why not have a simple setting - activities you wish to push, and just select them?

Yes, Garmin makes the data available through the API, but the API was not designed only for Strava. Strava is just one of many 3rd parties using the API to exchange data with Garmin. So while Strava is not able of processing all types of activities, other API-users may be. It is up to the API user to pick up only the data it wants or can use. That's the usual way APIs work generally. In other words, if you do not want some of the activities being imported to Strava, you have to ask Strava to build in some filter into their import from Garmin.

• Actually I believe is Garmin, the one that should allow only the kind of activities desired available for sharing.

• Adding my support to request Garmin look at implementing a setting to only send appropriate or user-selected activities. I had a go at the Relax function and then undid all the good work scrambling to remove it from Strava :)

• Hi Trux, does the API handle all type of activities or just those coming from a device? The vast majority of my activities automaticaly loaded from my 1030 or 920xt go to strava (I am not getting Indoor Running for some reason). But none of the activities loaded manually in GC go to Strava. It is correct that manually uploaded activities are not synced in strava by the API?

• Hi Trux, does the API handle all type of activities or just those coming from a device?

I do not know, I do not have access to the API. But if you do not see any manually entered activities in Strava, then either they are not available on the API, or are available separately and Strava does not load them. You'd need to ask Strava, or someone with the access to the API documentation.

• This feature can be supported I have just got a garmin having moved from an Apple Watch I likewise just want to link my runs and outside bike rides to strava and this is all that I synced with the Apple Watch you had an option on what a activities synced with strava so why is this option not available on the garmin Watch? 

• why is this option not available on the garmin Watch?

Because Garmin does not have any Strava-specific interface. Strava uses the general partner API, and the way they handle the data available through it is under their control. On Garmin's side you have no choice what should be available on the API, or for which API partner it should be available or not. The API simply gives to the 3rd parties the acess to the data in your Garmin Connect account. Unlike at Apple who likely developed the interface to Strava themselves, the implementation of the API for Strava was not developed by Garmin, but by Strava (or someone they hired).

• I fixed this (work around) by defaulting all the Strava activities to only be shared with me. Then, if I want it to be public, I will go in an make it public. This allows me to rename activities and edit before publishing. It is a hassle, but is working.

• PLEASE add an option to only sync specific activities!

• How do you do this please