This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Does Garmin Connect work with Android 12? Sync/Pair failure FR945

I have been using my Forerunner 945 successfully since the summer. My Pixel 3XL was recently upgraded to Android 12 and soon after I have suffered sync issues, finally culminating in the inability to re-pair my forerunner 945 with my phone.

I have followed lots of articles online both from Garmin and Community members.

I have tried:

• Restarting both phone and the watch
  • Uninstalling connect on my phone
  • Removing the Forerunner 945 from my account and trying to repair
  • Manually syncing using Garmin Express on PC and Mac
  • Syncing over WiFi (seems to work)
  • Remove old FIT activity files

I am stuck where the connect app will prompt for the 6 digit code, which I supply, and immediately I am presented with a failed sync. I accept the retry and after 2-3 mins it gives up. There on in I can't get the code prompt to reappear unless I restart my phone.

Has anyone else experienced this/ideas to fix? I am going to get in contact with support, a totally unacceptable experience from Garmin.

• I have done all these! My problem (after successfully pairing for a few hours) is it says there is a software update and then it just disconnects bluetooth and enver to be paired again (unless i factory reset watch and remove device!!!!) It just disconnected yesterday just before my run and the GPS was gone.

• Garmin are just now in a cycle of telling me to reset and send logs. Really really surprised at how the customer support are behaving. I have enquired about starting a returns process as there doesn't seem to be a solution on the horizon. Really disappointing.

• I might so the same, haven't gone to support yet and they were pretty awful last time i spoke to them about the crap GPS quality. Just give me a new watch or tell me what is best to buy. Seriously loosing love with Garmin. I have so many devices and so many watches from over the years!!

• Hi Jacob, did you get a fix for this from Garmin? I'm having the same issue with Google Pixel 4a, Android 12, Fenix 6S.  The watch/phone used to be paired, but stopped syncing in mid November (possibly when Garmin connect updated to 4.49.1), since then I've removed the watch from the app (as it would no longer sync) and now I can't get it connected again.  It fails after I enter the PIN and then gets stuck until I restart both the phone and the watch.  Garmin chat support today said it's not a known issue and that the problem is with the phone!

• Hi Cath! Mine worked for a week or so but has been troublesome recently.

Mine only works for less than 24 hours and then tells me there is an update. I have been pressing the update every day for the last month or so. It never fully loads the software load bar and then just disconnects my phone and app.

The only way around this is if I factory reset the Watch remove the app and install it again.

My Windows computer doesn't recognise it 

I've been back and forth with Garmin customer services, sent all the logs and told them all the versions of software, both phone and watch.

Today they have finally said that they will replace the device but have to wait until I send mine first. 

• I've the same problem. Pixel 3a; Android 12 and vivomove HR.
    Garmin: Hurry up!

• So frustrating isnt it!!!!

Everyday i have to reset everything and start again!!!!

I guess im better not syncing at all but i do use it alot for smart notifications at work!!!

Pixel Watch coming out soon so think i might jump! Sad as i have a million Garmin devices!

• When I go into the permission settings on my phone for the app there is a warning that says that Garmin made the app for a previous version of Android, so it might not work correctly.  Android 12 was released to developers in Feb 2021.  

• I posted the same issue in the Fenix 6 section of the forum, Garmin replied to say it's not a known issue.

https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/fenix-6-series/279696/fenix-6s-won-t-pair-with-android-12-since-mid-november-updates

I did manage to get my watch reconnected, which required a reset of the watch (instructions for Fenix 6 in the link above).  I hope this helps you.

• Also, in the thread that  mentioned - 

I am sorry there is clearly an issue between your Fenix 6S watch and your smartphone. I hope this information helps.

- When trying to pair a Fenix 6 series watch to an Android version 12 smartphone, the Garmin Connect Mobile APP says the device is not found until you grant the permission of "Nearby devices".

- This permission was newly introduced in Android 12 by Google and the permission must be granted for pairing all Garmin devices to the Android Connect Mobile APP.

- It's granted by default and users need to manually revoke to deny the permission.