This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Steps not calculating properly

My steps aren't calculating properly and I need help. I have images to show that my watch says 15k, garmin connect days 15k but my challenges say 13k. When it passes 12am (the next day) connect days yesterday I only got 13k. I have images if you need to see. Please see dates and times. 

• They won't I am going to post EVERYDAY!! on their facebook and if anyone else reads this, do the same. You are right. They are a big organisation and its an app issue. Its simple tweak to the app to log the same steps as the watch. Simple,

• So I'm just going to spam them everyday on their facebook and post a collage of how inconsistent their app is.

The problem is that the collage does not prove anything. While the first two images show the steps on the watch, and on the phone app, which both are live values (real-time) before the sync, the thrird photo shows the number of steps on the server (in your GC account) only once after they were synced to the cloud. And since both the live count on the phone app (2nd photo), and the third photo show the same timestamp, it is likely there was no sync in betwenn, and hence it is quite well possible the two values differ.

You have to first sucessfully (!) sync the app with the server (cloud), and only then both values may be identical. If they are not, then there was either a problem with the sync, or the monitoring FIT file is corrupted, or your watch is associated with mutliple accounts (read more about these three possbilities includng tips for fixing them, for example in this post).

BTW, for the vaste majority of Garmin users (myself including), the step counter works and syncs flowlessly, so it is certainly not something Garmin has neglected, but rather there is another reason causing it (almost certainly one of the three possibilities I named previously).

• Hi Trux,

I Sync the watch and my phone numerous times and Garmin SHOULD update its cloud with my step details. Why can't it do this? To me, if the app and the Garmin cloud cant sync correctly and gives its user false fitness values, then what is the point of a owning a fitness watch ? The app seems to have no issues logging all my workouts, yoga, GPS stated walks, my golf games and even my golf score and where I walked on the golf course. You stated in your post  

You have to first sucessfully (!) sync the app with the server (cloud), and only then both values may be identical

Tell me exactly how to do this?? Because from my understanding, this should just be seamless. Phone syncs with Watch via Bluetooth, data is collected in the Garmin App. Garmin sends data to the server. On my app it looks like it does packets or increments?? FYI it is currently 1105am and the step count matched on the app and the server weird! I find on lower step counts under 4000 i rarely get this issue, but anything above that, I can easily lose steps like the user above.

I did call Garmin and I have done the following:

- reset and reinstalled my Vivoactive 3 firmware using Garmin Express.

- uninstalled and reinstalled Garmin Connect App. Removed watched, and then re-added it again. ( Done numerous times!)

- i have read the forums here and adjusted my phone to use the network date and time settings. I did this before about 10pm last night, so will need to see if that fixed it.

- I have synced my watch via Garmin Express last night, using the cable. This did nothing. Step count was still lower than watch count.

- I forgot to take a picture/screenshot last night, but I went to bed with about 13200 steps on my watch but the Server said I had 12675. After this happens for over a week after calling Garmin you really got to wonder what the actual f** * is going on.

I have looked at your post and will look at the link and get back to you. I don't believe I am on multiple accounts. I have only ever used one account. I had an old Garmin device but that was reset and also removed from my account. 

BTW, for the vaste majority of Garmin users (myself including), the step counter works and syncs flowlessly, so it is certainly not something Garmin has neglected

Yes this is true, as stated above, I had an old device and my data was always spot on. Never had this issue at all with that device. 

Anyway I will keep spamming and contacting them, because this is unacceptable. This should be fixed. Your watch steps should be reflected by the Garmin server, at the end of the day end of story.  This has been occurring more than 7 days shows that there is something wrong with the app or their server. 

• Tell me exactly how to do this??

When you tap the double arrow ring symbol up right in the header of Garmin Connect Mobile, then observe the white ring around the watch image - it should close, and turn green. Once finished, go to GCM Menu » Settings » Device Sync Audit, and check it for any errors or warnings.

If you regularly use to have problems at the end of the day, the issue might be perhaps too low remaining storage on the device - try cleaning up old activity files from the folder //GARMIN/Activity, unneeded Courses (//GARMIN/Course), Workouts (//GARMIN/Workouts), and languages (//GARMIN/Text).

• I was doing what you said and the steps wasnt updating and that was annoying me. The circle turned green,

I took your advice and did this from your post. So far so good. My steps are finally syncing correctly with the Garmin Server. Funny enough, my Avatar, i noticed it hadn't changed after I changed it a few days ago. After removing the device and and then adding it again. my avatar updated and finally my steps is as it should be!

I find this so weird! Its like Garmin couldn't see my profile (i only have one profile!!) but now it can.

thanks mate. I was getting so annoyed, I was thinking about buying a fitbit!