This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Incident Detection and Garmin Contacts

Since you now have to add contacts to your Garmin account, it keeps saying that there is a digit missing from the contacts number, which there isn't, so now I don't have any incident detection working. Had anyone else got this working? Cheers
  • As far as adding contacts go, I only had the option to transfer my phone contacts to Connect one at a time (which is good for me as I only want to have a selected few on Connect anyway) However, this missing digit thing has been annoying and frustrating me for a while, it just seems like yet another small but irritating Garmin glitch. The good news is that, having read this thread, I've sorted the problem. As suggested I edited the number to add the + symbol before the UK 44 code. As soon as I typed the plus symbol the spacing changed accordingly and I was able to add the emergency contact. Possibly the most irritating thing is that the error message is indicating a missing digit, when it's actually a symbol that causes the problem. How hard could it be to mention the need for the plus symbol in the text of the error message?

;)
  • Thank you so much. Wondered why this had stop working and so came to this support group to find an answer.

For the UK, the contact I've added wouldn't work until I edited her number in the Garmin Contacts section to format (for UK) to +44XXXXXYYYYYY

XXXXX is the dealing code
    YYYYYY is the mobile number

Given our local telephone number at home is only 5 digit that wouldn't have worked at all, but the mobile number is thankfully the right number of digits. Wonderful example of when enforcing an input mask in an attempt to improve control over data actually fails!
  • *dialling code, not dealing code (f****8g autocorrect!! don't even get me started on that!).

Meant to say I then got a pop up message stating incident detection had been enabled. Very much usher the sentiment of the statement above that if you are going to enforce a number format on users at least state what that format is rather than just assume everyone knows, it's just lazy interface building.

What's even better is every time I post something on here they force me to go through a recaptcha process, what is this, a paranoid dictatorship or a support forum :-) It's like every interaction with something Garmin has to be agonisingly painful!!!! Then every time I go to submit a post it says I'm not eligible to post and I have to log out / log back in again. Way to go guys, you're really pinning the user experience with this tech!
  • Had the same problem: kept saying there were digits missing. Adding the country code didn't fix it.

To get Incident Detection working, rather than importing a contact from my address book, I manually created a contact directly in Garmin Connect. All I added was First Name, Last Name, Phone Number - which does say you must enter the country code, and it seems to format the number by adding spaces - and email address. It accepted that, even though the phone number was the same as the one in the contact imported from my address book that it wouldn't accept.

However...the contact in my address book has several phone numbers. I suspect it is trying to verify all of them, and failing despite having country codes in them. New Zealand has a wide variety of phone numbers these days, I bet their validation rules are incorrect.

But at least I've got incident detection configured again. They should have pre-empted this by notifying customers they were going to break it, so we could have proactively set it up.
  • I'm in the US. I added the + before the area code and it worked. + 1 xxx-xxxx
  • Old thread, but new Fenix 6 Pro owner searching for answers in mid-2020 with the same problem as everyone else in this thread.  The incident detection setup refuses to accept the phone numbers for my contacts.  I'm in the USA and all of my contacts' phone numbers work just fine when I dial them on my phone, yet GCM won't accept them as valid numbers.  I did finally get them to work by manually editing those contacts on my phone (Android 10) and trying several formats until I hit upon whatever 'magic' combination GCM was looking for.  I think I finally ended up deleting the numbers and entering them fresh in each contact that I wanted to add to Incident Detection in the format +1 123 456 7890.

This is something Garmin really needs to address.  I don't understand why their programmers can't write a simple parser that checks the connected phone's localization, and then applies it to those numbers in their contacts that are 'missing' their required country code.  

There should never be a need for the customer to edit a perfectly good working phone number in their contacts simply because a badly written app can't parse the number to its satisfaction.  As a programmer myself, this is a glaring example of poor coding on Garmin's part.

Incidentally, I am running the latest firmware on my watch and the latest update of Garmin Connect Mobile as of the time of this writing, so this has yet to be addressed.

• There should never be a need for the customer to edit a perfectly good working phone number in their contacts simply because a badly written app can't parse the number to its satisfaction.  As a programmer myself, this is a glaring example of poor coding on Garmin's part.

Good arguments, but on a wrong place. We here on the user forum, canot help with changing the code. You better contact Garmin directly and suggest them the improvements, or apply for a job and do it for them for money:

• I've had the same issue (UK), where it would not accept the contact no matter what format I tried changing the contact to in my phone's contacts.

I found my solution by going into Contacts in the Garmin Connect app and found if I edited the contact there it was asking for a country code. I selected the country code (+44) and deleted the leading zero and now everything works fine.

HTH