This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Battery Drain Using Garmin Connect Mobile

New user here. I was using a Samsung GearFit 2 that I still have but had some issues with, GPS was iffy and Tizen. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge on AT&T. Now I am not a power user and do not install a lot of apps. The last app i installed was PowerAmp Music Player in September. The battery on my phone is typically around 50 - 60% at the end of day (use is generally from 6:00AM - 10:00PM EST). I have been using the Vivoactive for about 1 week. The first three days I noticed my battery was down to about 20 - 30% by 6:00PM and was getting low battery warnings starting a couple of hours later. I initially thought that it synched when I opened the app and noticed at the bottom it synching with the device, but then I noticed as soon as I opened the app the step count on the device and app were the same. A few days ago I received a brand new phone, OnePlus 3T. When I set it up I only setup my email accounts and the Garmin Connect Mobile, no other apps installed other than stock. Same issue occurred, battery level down to around 10% or lower by end of day. So yesterday I go back to the Galaxy S7 Edge. 0 phone calls and 0 texts for the day. The only thing I used the phone for was checking emails and using the Garmin Connect Mobile. I had two 3.2 mile walks using GPS. By 7:00PM Battery was down to 8%. I do not want to have to turn Bluetooth on and off and am wondering if their is a fix for this that I am not seeing. I checked the app and cannot find a setting to turn synch on/off or an option for manually synching only. Wondering what other people are doing?
  • Same here - heavy battery drain caused by smart notifications on Galaxy S7

Hi all!

My S7 shows heavy battery drain when connected with my D2 Bravo.
    I had to deactivate smart notifications to save my phone.
    Re-install of the app did not fix it.

Running Mobile Connect 3.1.5 on S7 with Android 7.0

Screenshot attached.

any help welcome :-)

VG Philipp
  • it is not that smart notifications - it is the link/sync feature of how the phone and watch are linked via bluetooth.

I believe the fix - is to disable Bluetooth on the phone (or maybe just watch?) - only activating it when you want to allow the sync feature (update Garmin account with steps/HR, update weather, calendar, etc)

However that disables a good portion of the Watches features....so kind of screwed either way. I'm living with the phone drain.... praying for an update.... :-/
  • it is not that smart notifications - it is the link/sync feature of how the phone and watch are linked via bluetooth.

I believe the fix - is to disable Bluetooth on the phone (or maybe just watch?) - only activating it when you want to allow the sync feature (update Garmin account with steps/HR, update weather, calendar, etc)

However that disables a good portion of the Watches features....so kind of screwed either way. I'm living with the phone drain.... praying for an update.... :-/

That's really bad news...
    My smartwatch is a dumbwatch then :-/

I just unpaired the watch in my phone's bluetooth settings - the most conveniant way and hopefully working...

VG Philipp
  • I have nailed my battery drain issue down to this process...wakelock WeatherConditionsRequest. GC seems to be over doing the weather requests for location. My fix was to remove the location permission for GC in my phone settings.

This breaks the Garmin weather widget but I am sure there are third party weather widgets that should help.
  • My fix was to remove the location permission for GC in my phone settings.
    Ah. No wonder I never (to my recollection) experienced undue battery drain even though Garmin Connect Mobile is running on my Android handset, because I tend to only enable Location service when required for navigation (and disable it again afterwards), and also make a habit of removing specific permissions from apps when I don't see how it contributes to my use cases.

This breaks the Garmin weather widget but I am sure there are third party weather widgets that should help.

Before I switched to Android, I was using a Windows‑10 Mobile handset, and the weather widget on my FR235 proved so unreliable/ineffective that I removed it, and never really thought to give it another chance after changing handsets.
  • I switched off BT on my FR35. And I stopped Garmin Connect in task manager where it had a lot of running processes even without weather widget or notifications. For sync I use Garmin Express. BTW, that crashes the auto goal, too. Somehow even the FR35 crashes it during sync. Bad software, bad firmware.
  • after last update i can report:
    - xperia m4 aqua marshmallow, 6hours after last charge, 39% of battery usage (my mother's phone, she has vivosmart hr and she never uses connect)
    - xperia z3 tablet compact marshmallow , 2 hours after last charge, 18% of battery usage
    - xperia z5 compact, since yesterday only 3% of battery usage.
  • The last few days I've suddenly seen huge battery usage by GC on my Samsung S7. Suddenly I'm charging my phone every day, instead of every 2-3 days.
    Running version 3.15 (I assume there was an update recently to cause this).
    Hope there is an update for this soon - until now, I've been pleased with this app working with my FR235.

I'll try disabling the location permission to see if it helps - I don't pay any attention to the weather widget, so no loss there if that's the only casualty.
  • I stopped using GC Mobile because of that battery draining. I use Garmin Express on my computer. Much faster with sync.
  • Battery drain on two Samsung S7 phones

My wife and I are both experiencing much more rapid battery drain on our S7 phones. The use is attributed to the Andoid OS. I've been suspicious of the Garmin Connect app, but my wife has ZERO Garrmin software installed. (She uses Fitbit.) There hasn't been an OS update in many months. I wonder if one of the numerous Google updates is the culprit.

-- Pete