VIRB Edit Elevation Overlay

Former Member
Former Member
Hi,

I really like the new elevation graph overlays in VIRB edit version 2.7.1.

After editing a cycling video, removing a long section of stationary footage, the deleted section remains illustrated on the overlayed elevation graph and the dot simply jumps from point to point ignoring the area of unwanted data.

Is there a way to resolve this?

Thanks,

Eilidh
  • Elevation graph plotted against time instead of distance???

Hi Eilidh,

I encountered the same problem, I always thought the elevations graphs were off in a way but not very clear, untill last trip we had some pauses, it became clear that the elevation graph is plotted against time instead of against distance what I expected.

To developer, can this be changed? I would like to have elevation and other graphs plotted against distance by default as it is in basecamp.

To illustrate the issue please have a look here.
  • This could potentially be changed, but currently all the widgets are based on time. It's actually a fair amount of work to change this, so to be perfectly honest, I am not sure if we'll be able to make that change anytime soon.
  • This could potentially be changed, but currently all the widgets are based on time. It's actually a fair amount of work to change this, so to be perfectly honest, I am not sure if we'll be able to make that change anytime soon.

I'm going to go ahead and say that you should rethink this. Elevation profiles with time as the x axis are pointless, and elevation profiles are one of a very select few overlays that are of primary interest to cyclists.

As a software engineer, let me make an implementation suggestion for you. As you say, all of your widgets are based on time. Why not make a global change to make all of them based on a function of time. So instead of x=time, x=f(t). For every widget except elevation profile that function can simply return the time, so f(t)=t and there is no change. But, for the elevation profile the function x=f(t) looks up the distance at the time t and returns the distance. This way all widgets continue to operate consistently, the behavior remains unchanged for all widgets except elevation profile, and you now have converted a useless widget into an extremely useful one.

Again, think it through. Elevation profile with time as the x-axis is deceptive and inconsistent with every elevation profile cyclists are used to. I would simply call it a bug in its current state and you'd be better off not offering the elevation profile at all. You really should consider a fix for this. Other software, like the Cyclops Virtual Trainer overlays manage to graph some things by time and others by distance. You should do the same.

Would I be correct in assuming that this is a function of the entire Garmin product line? I have an automotive Garmin GPS unit and note that the elevation that I have continually displayed generally is a couple of seconds behind my actual location. After I have crested a grade and started down, the unit says I am still going up.