VIRB Elite MP4 Filenames

Currently, all recorded videos are given a running number as part of the filename like VIRB0001.mp4, VIRB0002.mp4 and so on. When one has transferred the recordings onto the computer (MAC), an option to delete the recordings is given. When one chooses to delete, the next recording's first filename defaults to VIRB0001.mp4 again and so on.

Now, that's causing some confusion when the file then lacks a definitive filename unlike those given to the GPX and FIT files - I would very much want to see GARMIN's developers adopt the same file naming nomenclature as those of the GPX and FIT files to allow a chronological arrangement of the files where both the date and the time is part of the filename.

Another related issue is that the GPX and FIT files are not saved automatically onto the computer when one imports the video files from the VIRB Edit software, this should be done simultaneously while the video files are being transferred to the computer's drive (or the designated storage drive that is preset in the SETTINGS). Presently, I would copy the files over manually onto the GPX and Activity directories and thereafter delete them manually on the VIRB's SD card such that the GPS data is kept on my MAC.
  • Another related issue is that the GPX and FIT files are not saved automatically onto the computer when one imports the video files from the VIRB Edit software, this should be done simultaneously while the video files are being transferred to the computer's drive (or the designated storage drive that is preset in the SETTINGS). Presently, I would copy the files over manually onto the GPX and Activity directories and thereafter delete them manually on the VIRB's SD card such that the GPS data is kept on my MAC.

It must do something with them, since VIRB Edit has full track information after the import. They're actually buried in ~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/VIRB Edit. I don't know whether they're kept in their original form or not (probably the ones named "virb_track.gpx" are), but they do look like they're split clip by clip. Having them in original form might be nice, but VIRB Edit always creates one for any video that you export, although those don't include all of the accelerometer data.
  • multiple SD-cards

it's even worse with multiple SD-cards!
    it always begins with 0001 and when importing to Virb edit it will be renamed to 0001 (1) if the numer is already used.

why not use the timestamp as filename?
    or like many (any?) other cam just count up until manually resetting the counter.
  • or like many (any?) other cam just count up until manually resetting the counter.

I think this would be by far the simplest to implement and use!!

A you said, camera should just keep counting up the file names, even after you delete them from the SD card.
    Option to reset the counter if you require.
  • In a shell try the following command:

mv videofile.MP4 $(mplayer -identify -vo null -ao null -frames 0 videofile.mp4 2> /dev/null | sed -n '/creation_time:/ s/.*: \(.*\)/\1/p').MP4
  • Has there been taken any action to end this numbering chaos? :confused: I also stumbled upon it's effects and second the troubles you come accross having dozens of same named files around your hard drive(s). A consistent way of numbering would help such a lot.

The current firmware version is still the one from February 2015. :eek:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=6565

It would be great to have one more update to finally make the Virb Elite run as good as possible for those users who really like it - including me.
  • There won't be any more updates to the VIRB Elite, but they have fixed this in VIRB Edit. Now when you import video from the camera, you can choose the base name for the files. So instead of everything being named VIRB, you can choose whatever you want.
  • this now work well ;)

but would be nice if all the files were imported at once...who really gets the time to edit our videos right away.  the perfect scenario would be importing all files into an archive to later retreive and use on any computer at a later date.  I'm now only getting to my home videos from 1990's lol.  Let's just say i'm a great archiver! ;)