This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why are the Map downloads so slow?

I bought this chart plotter, as I'm sure many of you have, because of the technology.  I have certainly paid the price...  Downloads taking several hours,  phone wait time projections of near two hours and the active captain download is even worse.  I was never able to update 2019 maps and today it's another $100.00 for the update plus no improvement on delivery....  Something  is out of hand folk, or is it just my luck...... 

• Well the download to your PC is the first part of the process when the necessary files are downloaded. They are then compiled into the actual map file that is sent to your device. How fast that takes depends on a few factors, including what usb version your device has. 

Even so I've generally completed map updates in around 30 minutes, and Garmin state there is no throttling at their end. 

• I decide to search the garmin  forum today because my map updating is extremely slow again. I have a 1Gb DL and 500mb upload fibre connection. So it is not on my end This fast system I have can dance down large files from anywhere.. But what annoys me more than the slow download is someone posting replies here stating " It's on your end and not Garmin's fault" every time someone else posts about the slow download speed from Garmin. The number of people experiencing the slow speed are not all wrong. You may be lucky to get your update faster than others sometimes. Good for you.  My speed on Garmin site is now down to 523 kb. est. time is 1hr 13 mins. climbing 1 min every minute. It's a losing battle with the Garmin site.  I have had a Garmin for too many years to count and the past few times I have poor download speed. One thing I can be sure of is " This Nuvi 68LM will be my last Garmin product. I don't have time for this.

• Anyone having slow downloads should call Product Support for help. Most folks have few problems downloading and they will be able to troubleshoot individual issues.