Google Maps to Basecamp made somewhat easy!

Former Member
Former Member
OK. So after much frustration, I have determined that the Garmin Basecamp is as useless as my mother in law. Most normal people use Google maps to plan a route or see where stuff is, primarily because Google has done a masterful job brainwashing us into saying "Google it" every time we have a question. I was able to use Google Maps, Google Earth, and Basecamp for frustration free route programming. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it's less work than trying to plan a truly custom route in Basecamp.
So I wanted to be able to plan my route in Google Maps because it has the greatest feature ever developed for route planners......":drag to change route" feature. This is a must if you live in places like I do where you need to go through a major metropolitan area with a trailer or bypassing roads that do not allow specific types of vehicles such as tractor trailers or vehicles over 9000 lbs.
Here is how I was able to transfer Google map routes into Google Earth; Basecamp; and then into my Nuvi 1490. If you know a better way, let the world know.

1. Use the Google maps directions features. If you have navigated this far into this post, I don't need to explain how to do this.
2. Save your route on Google Maps. Scroll to bottom of direction list and click "Save to My Maps".
3. Select "Create new Map" and then Save.
4. A new page appears with the "Driving directions to .........." highlighted. Under that is a blue Google Earth box. Click it.
5. Here, you have two options:
Option 1. Click open with and then use Google Earth to open.
Option 2. Save File to a temporary folder. Remember where this is....you'll need to find it later.
FYI: I have tried both and the get you to the same place.
6. If you selected "Open with Google Earth", the file should appear under "Temporary Places". If you saved the file somewhere, find it, then click open. Google Earth should open. Again, it should be under "Temporary Places".
7. Go to the file with a Google Earth globe and double click. Google Earth should now zoom in to the route you made in Google Maps.
8. Now, double click the file with the folder and green dot.
9. An underlined link should appear. right click and click "Save Place as....".
10. Save that file. I placed all my files in a folder inside a My Garmin folder under My Documents. You can save to wherever you please.
11.Open Basecamp and select "My Collection" or any folder that you want to save a file to. I created folders that used the names of the destinations under My Collections. Again, you can save to wherever you want.
12.From the File Menu, select "Import into......"
13. The file you saved in Google Earth should now appear with a Basecamp logo. Click on it, then click Open.
14. The file should now appear in Basecamp as both a List, and as a Track (two feet side by side). Right click the Track and select "Create Route from Selected Track".
15. A dialogue box should open asking you for the maximum number of via points. Check the box to do this automatically.
16. After a few heart stopping moments, a file displaying tree green boxes connected to each other should appear. Click on it.
17. If the route shows up, then VOILA! You have successfully created a route in Google Maps and imported it to Basecamp. Download to your particular GPS as usual.

This procedure is especially well suited to long trips that require advanced planning. I find Google maps the easiest mapping program available, and most searches for businesses and destinations all show up there. You can add multiple destinations and route to and from them with ease.

I hope this helps.
Keep calm. Chive on.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 11 years ago
    I tried. Oh lord did I try. I have to use very specific routes to get off Long Island with a camper. Basecamp just seems so user-unfriendly when compared to Google Earth or Google Maps. As always, feel free to use whatever works best for you. Just saying.
  • Hi, just found this thread... I have V4.3.4 (Windows) and you can't right click with that pencil+ tool. Do you know how to move a route (like you can in Google Maps) in the newer version?
    Thanks,
    Mike
  • Sorry, it's left click (never did know right from left)
  • Hi. I've tried what you have suggested but it doesn't seem to work for me. I have created a route and then selected the tool which looks like a pencil with a + by it (I think I've selected the correct tool). A straight black line appears between the start and end points of the route but I can't seem to drag anything. Not exactly sure what you mean by "rubber band" though in your reply. Any further guidance would be appreciated.
  • Once you see the black line in the segment you want to move/drag, left-click once, then drag your mouse to the new location and left-click one more time, you'll see the route recalculate using the new shaping point you just created. The 'rubber band" just describes what the new point you're dragging appears like, it's like it's connected by a rubber band to your two existing points.
  • Perhaps you should try the ":drag to change route" feature in Basecamp by using the Insert tool to drag the route and insert via points. You don't have to mess around with Google Maps, Google Earth or any other mapping program. The route is created directly in Basecamp using the same map that you will be using to navigate it.

I would encourage you to use other mapping programs to search for suitable via points and to add them to Basecamp if necessary, but I would advise against creating routes in the other programs.

I have tried the drag and insert via points and it always finds a way back to where Garmin wants you to go. What makes Garmin think they know the best rout. I had mine using Google maps down to 836 miles Garmin wants me to go 1099 miles. The roads I chose are good interstate roads as were Garmin but I want to go my way. I end up with to many via points with Garmin. Ready to go back to paper maps.