This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Swim stuck on CONNECT TO COMPUTER

My Swim seems to have got locked up. Here's what happened:

1. I updated Garmin Express to the latest version (3.0.3.0)

2. Garmin express recognized the swim and offered to update firmware from 3.40 to 3.60

3. I clicked "Update All"

4. Swim showed "Data Transfer" and Garmin express progress bars went OK, showing Success.

5. After a while, the watch emitted a beep and showed "Connect to Computer".

it is now stuck on this screen "CONNECT TO COMPUTER". If I turn on Garmin express, it will appear to sync. But I can't use the Swim. Whatever button I press it just beeps.
Garmin Express says "Your device software is up to date: Version 3.40", which is odd.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Image showing what I mean:
  • Update: I have got it working! Here's what I did.

1. Removed the Swim fro Garmin Express and tried re-adding it. It went through the whole process again and failed with the same result.
    2. Tried it on a different Mac in my house. Again failed with same result.
    3. Tried it on my Mum's Windows PC …. Success!

So it seems like there might be a firmware updating bug in the Mac version of Garmin Express?
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 10 years ago
    same thing happened to me but using Windows 8 I have tried 2 other computers running windows 8 and nothing solved the problem... is there a way to rollback the old frimware or any other solutions out there

Thank you,
  • I had the same problem: updated to 3.6 (from 3.4)
    After reading NICKYO's post I tried re-adding to Garmin Express (didn't work) (I'm running Windows 7, I don't have another PC to try)
    So have now tried ...
    ... A factory reset (hold top left, bottom left and top right buttons for a "couple" of secs).
    When prompted --
    --> If I select NO I'm taken to the default time 12:00 1st Jan. if I then press either Bottom Left (to access settings) or the Start Swim blue button the device goes back to "Connect To Computer". (The other buttons don't appear to do anything)
    --> If I select YES I'm taken to the language select screen which quickly disappears and the device goes back to "COnnect To Computer"
    ... A reinstall of Express which hasn't helped. (I think the reset will have reset the Allow Pairing setting so now Express won't detect the device)

Any ideas???
  • Sorry you are stuck! It sounds like Garmin Express has got the watch halfway through the firmware update. We are looking at this and will post again as soon as we have suggestions.
  • Great! thanks for the reply - look forward to any suggestions
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 10 years ago
    I had this watch for about 2 day...

Called Garmin they said that it might be a Garmin Express software issue I was instructed to send the watch in so they can replace it and send me a new one
  • Here is the update on this issue. There is a problem with the most current version of Garmin Express that is causing Garmin Swim watches to get stuck partway through the firmware update. This is what has happened to those of you posting in this thread. The team is working hard to fix this and will have an updated version of Garmin Express released early next week that fixes the problem. This new version of Garmin Express will also recognize that your watch is stuck partway through a firmware update and will finish the update normally. So, you basically just need to leave the watch by your computer for now. :-(

We calculated the battery cost of sitting for a week in "CONNECT TO COMPUTER" and it is not significant (~4 days). Please don't try to take out the battery or anything like that.

We are very sorry for this inconvenience! I will post again as soon as the new version of Garmin Express is available.
  • Thanks for the update ...

Unfortunately I removed the battery while trying to complete the reset option. The end result was that it's returned to the CONNECT TO COMPUTER so hopefully the new version will still apply.

Will wait to hear more. Thanks again
  • It's okay that you took out the battery. I was just meaning that people shouldn't feel they have to in order to preserve battery life. Also, every time you remove the battery door, there is a slim chance that you replace it incorrectly and lose the water resistance. There is a video here showing how to replace the battery correctly.

Yes, I'll post again as soon as the new Garmin Express is available.
  • Same for me on my "Swim" regards "Connect to Computer" message - very frustrating!
    Gone back to using just the ANT with my 910XT and uninstalled Garmin Express completely.
    Please post once the issues are properly resolved (and tested!)