Edit you Garmin Swim Data free online

HI,

I'm a Garmin Swim user and also a programmer. As many of you, I sometime have inaccuracies in my data. For me, it's mostly an extra lap now and then. It usually happens when swimming in a crowded lane, and I have to switch from freestyle to breaststroke to look for an opportunity to pass. As a result, distance, average speed, and maximum speed metrics will be affected. I used to wish I could just merge two lengths within Garmin Connect and get more accurate data. Since GC doesn't provide this feature (yet), I decided to make my own tool. It is working great for me, so I decided to add splitting length, changing stroke style and pool size, and added a web interface to it. It's free as long as hosting cost are reasonable. Feel free to try it and let me know what you think.

Garmin Communicator plugin is required and you'll have to be able to manually upload an activity file to Garmin Connect. I explain how to do it on the web site.

http://www.swimmingwatchtools.com
  • This looks very promising. I am going to check this out when I get home.
  • Fantastic tool !!!
    I think you can applied for a job at Garmin ;)

Just one question/suggestion... Do you plan to add the functionality to upload an activity directly from a FIT file ?

Sometimes I'm away from the computer where I synchronize my swim watch, but all my FIT files are also stored on a DropBox, then I will appreciate to edit my activities later (independently of the computer used)...

Once again, great great work !!
  • Thanks for all the nice comments.

DCHARBONNIER thanks for the suggestion, it makes sense for those like you (and me) who store their files outside of the standard activity folder created by ANT agent. Using the communicator plugin is convenient, because I know I will only get activity files from garmin swim devices. If I allow uploads outside of the plugin, users might throw anything at me, so I'll have to validate that the file is a FIT file, that it contains swim data, and that this data is from a Garmin swim device. But I think it can be done.

What i'm working on right now, is a new activity details page that would provide more and better information in a different way than garmin Connect is doing it. More metrics, breakdown of statistics per Style, and best times for standard distances (50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500m). I also want to improve the graphs which I think look terrible on GC.

Garmin Swim is great, but GC is too basics and only provide limited analysis and i want to improve this. It would make the watch more interesting and appealing to those who likes more than the basics that GC provides.

Also, if there are Forerunner 910 users reading this, I would like to support it. But I don't want and can't afford to buy one. If some of you, would like to contribute a bunch of files I could work with, I would be glad to add FR910 support.
  • @ERUNNERMTL thanks for your detailed reply !

I understand your meaning about the use of communicator plugin...

Your new development sound very good ! i can't wait to see the results :D
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 10 years ago
    Great job, congratulations!

Application very useful, thank you very much :):)
  • Thanks for those who have tried the application in the last couple of days. I hope it worked and you enjoyed using it.

I've add a new feature that allow uploads of activity files from computer. This can be use instead of upload via the communicator plug-in if you don't want to install the plug-in or if you archive your files in a custom folder.
  • Awesome!

We have been waiting for YEARS for Garmin to provide a tool like this! This is really great. Thanks a million!!!!!
  • I've add a new feature that allow uploads of activity files from computer. This can be use instead of upload via the communicator plug-in if you don't want to install the plug-in or if you archive your files in a custom folder.

Thanks a lot for this new feature !
    Great tool and great customer service ;)
  • Awesome

This tool is AWESOME. Shame on GARMIN, who got our money, for not delivering that feature. KUDOs to the developer. Brilliant.

I just checked and corrected roughly 30 sessions in roughly 30 minutes, with no prior experience of the tool, which was blazingly fast in my eyes.

The way the Editor shows the information is extremely effective, much more effective than on Garmin site. It makes it easy to identify data issues.

The features to correct data are simple but very effective. They could correct all my issues with ease.

The whole workflow is not as convenient as if the feature was implemented on Garmin site of course. But it is pretty fast, and after a couple of repetitions, it gets really fast.

All the important features are there and effective but here are some minor things I noticed:
    -a one-hour timeshift between time of activities as shown on Garmin site and on the Editor site. No big deal.
    -If you edit old activities, you may lose the extra data that you had entered on Garmin site, as a special title for the activity, or a favorite flag.
    -The Garmin Communicator seems to be always resetted and it takes a few seconds to load the list of activities. I guess this is a "feature" of the Garmin Communicator and you can't do anything about it.
    -Some activities are listed by the Garmin Communicator as 31/12/1989. I guess this is a Garmin Communicator problem. As far as I remember, when I uploaded activities on Garmin site, the date was OK though. I guess this is a "feature" of the Garmin Communicator and you can't do anything about it.

Sidenote: The sort of bad data I generate while swimming are as follows. 1. Ghost length: two lengths that appear to be very fast but are actually just one single length. The MERGE feature works just fine. 2. Misplaced transition. One length that is too fast and one length that is amazingly slow. I combine MERGE and SPLIT and get reasonable data.