This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

No alerts, alarms and button tones after battery exchange

I have had the Garmin Swim for about a year and had to exchange the battery recently. The watch still seems to be waterproof (I meticulously followed the manual instructions when exchanging) but all sounds are gone, even when activated in the menu. I don't care too much about button tones, but the acoustical alert when starting a swim I find very handy and very much would like to get back. Also, when the alarm is "ringing" the alarm sign blinks but there is no sound.

Is there a way to reinstate the sounds?
  • That sounds mechanical. It's a bit concerning since you said you followed the manual instructions meticulously. In any case, Product Support is aware of your issue and will be contacting you. Sorry for the inconvenience!
  • That sounds mechanical. It's a bit concerning since you said you followed the manual instructions meticulously. In any case, Product Support is aware of your issue and will be contacting you. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Thanks for your reply. I'm in touch with Product Support.
  • Thanks for your reply. I'm in touch with Product Support.

Were you able to get this issue resolved? I have the same problem after replacing the battery.
  • Were you able to get this issue resolved? I have the same problem after replacing the battery.

Yes I got the watch replaced. I haven't tested though (for obvious reasons) whether I can take out the battery of the new watch without the tones disappearing.
  • My watch is new (received a week ago), I have not replaced the battery and still there are no tones at all, even if they are all enabled.
  • You should work with Product Support to have it replaced. We're going to investigate what might have happened. I'm sorry for the poor first experience.
  • I'm having the exact same issue. Garmin Swim was working fine, but low battery, so I replaced it. Immediately no more alert tones (in menus or while swimming). Clearly this is happening to several people. Any leads apart from "see about getting a replacement watch"? Thanks!
  • Not all batteries are created equal

Hi not sure if this will be the same for everyone. But I had the same issues, started when the watch reset itself, then I couldn't set the pool length, that seems to be some indicator that the battery is low. So I replaced the battery and all was fine, except that the tones have gone. I recalled that the last time a replaced a CR2032 into some other device - tv remote I think, it didn't work even though it was brand new. So I got some more batteries from a recognised manufacturer and tried those and the remote worked. So I change the battery again in the watch and sure enough as soon as I snapped the back back on the alerts had started again. Moral is - try a good branded battery before giving up.
  • Hi - are people still getting this issue of tones disappearing when battery replaced on Garmin Swim? How did you fix it?
    So far Garmin support has been very unhelpful :-( It's been about 20 days I've had a ticket logged and the best they've come up with is do a hard reset (which clearly I had already done) to no avail, and recently to offer a replacement for exactly 10GBP less than what it would cost me to buy a new one!!!!! This is because my battery run out 18 months after purchase and therefore not covered under normal guarantee. The frustrating thing, is that the watch was working perfectly fine (with tones) before the battery change. I change the battery (with a top class Duracel one) following exactly the instruction in their video. Watch works but lost all tones for alarms and buttons.
    Any experience that can be shared much appreciated, given I've lost hope in Garmin actually caring to help!!!!
    PS have not tried to remove and re-insert battery as I want to minimise the number of time the battery compartment gets opened to avoid damaging the seal. Though if that may help will do!!

Thanks a lot.
    A frustrated garmin user.
  • I just had this happen on my wife's Garmin Swim. I replaced the battery in mine with no issues. I used the exact same Energizer CR2032 in hers and when I replaced the back the sounds were not there. I took the back off made sure the battery was seated correctly, rotated the back slightly, replaced the back, and now the sounds work. You will know because you will immediately hear some beeps after the watch resets. If the beeps stop after replacing the battery, you may want to try this before you contact Garmin.