This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Water/fog inside watch?

So I should say I really like the watch. I've seen using it almost daily since I bought it a few months back.

Yesterday morning I was out early to cut the grass on the lawn for the wife. It was cold outside and I then noticed what looked like moisture condensing on the underside of the face of the watch? Presumably this was due to it being chilly.

This doesn't seem to affect the watch's ability to keep time and, later in the pool, it recorded my laps and time perfectly.

So the question is -- has anyone else had this?

So far it's not affecting the watch's core ability to capture my pool time... and I really don't want to return it for a replacement unless absolutely necessary.

Cheers

Ralph
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 10 years ago
    Condensation in your case.

This is what happened to me. I tried the last firmware upgrade. I botched the whole upgrade up somewhere along the line and my watch just went dead. Somewhere the whole upgrade seemed to stall! So I tried taking the battery out. At length I got everything working again. (note to self-did I really need that firmware upgrade? what wasn't working before.) I got in the pool a couple of days later and started my swim. started my watch...looked down after a couple of laps... Oh sh**... that is not right! no display! Just water in the case! so with a parts from a disposable razor I pry the back of the watch off. Apparently, I didn't put the back of the watch on very tight after removing the battery. I had water visible against the front case, not just condensation. I left the back of my watch open for about a week in a warm place. When no more water was visible I replaced the same battery in and it works. That is my experience. I'm grateful it didn't ruin my watch. I think you should be able to remove the back of the watch and release that moisture without any problem. That to me would be easier than a merchandise return.

So I should say I really like the watch. I've seen using it almost daily since I bought it a few months back.

Yesterday morning I was out early to cut the grass on the lawn for the wife. It was cold outside and I then noticed what looked like moisture condensing on the underside of the face of the watch? Presumably this was due to it being chilly.

This doesn't seem to affect the watch's ability to keep time and, later in the pool, it recorded my laps and time perfectly.

So the question is -- has anyone else had this?

So far it's not affecting the watch's core ability to capture my pool time... and I really don't want to return it for a replacement unless absolutely necessary.

Cheers

Ralph
  • I think you should be able to remove the back of the watch and release that moisture without any problem. That to me would be easier than a merchandise return.

Hmmm...

Not sure. I wouldn't want to somehow invalidate my 12 month warranty on a 2 month old watch!

Cheers

Ralph
  • The condensation is harmless for the watch.

When replacing the battery, it's REALLY important to make sure the red gasket is properly seated in the battery door before you put the door back in. This video shows how it's done.

When replacing the battery, it's REALLY important to make sure the red gasket is properly seated in the battery door before you put the door back in. This video shows how it's done.

That's good to know!

I'll keep that video in mind for when the battery needs replacing :)

Cheers

Ralph

Thanks for this assurance. The same thing just started happening with my watch after 8 months of use and I haven't yet opened the back at all :)

What do we think of the suggestion to leave the watch open in a warm dry environment between swims? Thanks in advance.
  • I don't like too much opening and closing of the battery door. If the condensation is really bothersome, then you could try leaving it open in a warm, dry place once to air it out. However, it seems like for most users the condensation appears when they transition from one environment to another but clears up pretty quickly once everything equalizes. In that situation I suggest leaving the battery door alone.
  • I don't like too much opening and closing of the battery door. If the condensation is really bothersome, then you could try leaving it open in a warm, dry place once to air it out. However, it seems like for most users the condensation appears when they transition from one environment to another but clears up pretty quickly once everything equalizes. In that situation I suggest leaving the battery door alone.

Thanks for this reply. It makes sense that opening and closing the door could lead to over-working the seal, which isn't good for the longevity of the watch. In my case, the condensation appears when I swim in an outdoor pool in direct sunlight and it disappears after a while.

I was concerned that the moisture contained within the watch, which is indicated by the condensation, could corrode the interior of the watch, but I may be wrong :)
  • Water/fog inside watch?

Hi,

I'm currently using the original battery, so the unit is never opened after it left the factory. After a swim in an outside pool I went showering afterwards and the hot shower made the watch all 'foggy' on the inside. Which means there is water inside the watch. It still functions fine (except the alarm sound does not work, it never did, but it doesn't bother me) but should I do something? Is this normal (after a change from cold/hot)?

I'm a little bit weary with water&electronics since my mobile phone had 'water damage' even if I know for a fact it didn't had any contact with water.
  • Hi Tom

Same with my watch. But it works fine so I don't worry about it.

Ralph
  • Former Member
    +1 Former Member over 10 years ago
    The same thing with my whatch. So far it still works, but it seems like the fog is increasing. I've never opened it up because it's 2 months since I took it out of the box and the battery has never been replaced.
    I do love this whatch. Wouldn't mind buying anotherone, but of course I'd rather keep the one I already own.
    Is your whatch still working?